• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is using Adobe Flash CS6 and AS3 a good idea to make Pokemon games?

BrainWave

A new idea sprouts
Years
  • Since I have this software and not RPG maker, I figured I could make a Pokemon Game from scratch (or collaborate with others to make an essential), with the only limitation is to program a whole lot of Pokemon, Items, Moves etc. Though I could have include a portion of them first.

But before I do that, I want to make sure that it's only tedious. Possible, but tedious. Have a Flash-based Pokemon game not been make simply because no one had made it yet, or are there some limitations or disadvantage that makes it not worth to make?

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    Making it in flash, in fact, makign it in anything from scratch will require a large amount of coding, scripting and effort, it would be, in all honesty, easier to just use RPG Maker XP + Essentails to make a game, or using some small but growing engines used via other programs, such as Java based ones, or Even Game Maker. I hear Game Maker is good, you can use full 3D buildings and such.

But hey, that's my penny to the matter.

TheDarkShark

Metal Headed Hacker
    Years
  • Well, I'm not very knowledgable concerning Flash, but I think that a Flash-based Pokémon-Engine would be a quite powerful tool for the fangame-community, since flash is platform-independent (as long as the Flash-Player runs, the game will run, and the Flash-Player runs on both Mac and Windows, even Linux, I believe) and can be viewed with pretty much any webbrowser without having to install the game seperately.
    HOWEVER: Creating a game engine from scratch isn't only a lot of hard work, you won't see (as in visually) much progress for most of the time. Also, just because you might get an engine running in the far future, you won't be able to play any game, until somebody sits down and creates one. The question is: Do you want to code or do you want to create a game? Don't let me disappoint you here, there are people in this world, who can do both, but this will make progress even slower, although it should be more motivating, since you have something on the screen.

Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2012
    Heh. I've been working on this exact thing for the past year, and have progressed quite far. My engine is in AS2, supports multi-player, and is based off the generation 3 POKéMON games. If you would like to move forward with such a thing, go right ahead but I can tell you now that it is not a simple task due to the mechanics of flash. However, its platform synchronization and modularity make flash a VERY, VERY strong competitor when it comes to a POKéMON engine.

If you wait a bit longer for my engine to release, you won't need to create your own :)

Back