• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is Windows XP Obselete?

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
    You're a terrible liar Loco. You did not overclock your processor to two times it's normal speed, nor do you have XP 32 bit utilizing 6 gigs of RAM. Everyone can see it and prove it with just a bit of research, and no amount of pretending otherwise is going to change that.

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=overclock+phenom+9850+to+5+ghz&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=CyIf7YSEtTL3fB5X6gAS684TmBwAAAKoEBU_QEzB4&fp=e0fa4b5da4f245a4

Here, what does this google search for "Phenom 9850 overclock 5 ghz" reveal? Certainly not that it's possible. It reveals what I stated before. Getting it over 3.0 is pretty difficult. 5.0? NOT happening.

Quite frankly you're beginning to irk me.

locoroco

Ginga Densetsu Weed ANIME PWNS
    Years
    i didnt say my xp used the 6 gigs but unlike the other xp mine recognizes that it has 6 gigs i never said it used it them it uses 4 gigs of ram barely it uses 3.96 gigs of ram

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    i didnt say my xp used the 6 gigs but unlike the other xp mine recognizes that it has 6 gigs i never said it used it them it uses 4 gigs of ram barely it uses 3.96 gigs of ram
    Then XP knowing there's 6GB was seemingly a pretty pointless thing to say. You just need to find the right info display that will say how much memory it has in total and how much can actually be addressed. It's not remarkable that it can tell its own hardware.

Last edited:

locoroco

Years
    Then XP knowing there's 6GB was seemingly a pretty pointless thing to say. You just need to find the right info display that will say how much memory it has in total and how much can actually be addressed. It's not remarkable that it can tell its own hardware.

well for xp it is since when you ussually go to an xp with 6 gigs of ram it will only tell you that it has 3.25 gb of ram

mr. ck

कुछ मीठा हो जाये
    Years
    well for xp it is since when you ussually go to an xp with 6 gigs of ram it will only tell you that it has 3.25 gb of ram
    It's not... You can make your XP say anything to you. If it's a lie, it doesn't matter.

Blaze The Hedgehog

The Flaming Wolf!
    Years
    I gave XP up when I moved to Mac. I still use it with the PC in the study, but I use so many programs that make Vista/7 cry when I use them, XP seems like the only way I can get peace out of them.

Blaze The Hedgehog

The Flaming Wolf!
    Years
    You must be using software versions that don't support Windows Vista/Windows 7. Updated versions should work just fine on those.

I have Adobe CS3 however only a few of the programs seem to work on Windows 7, so I use Xp to escape the hassle, which is strange, because it does support the platform. Maybe it's just my computer.

Years
    I have Adobe CS3 however only a few of the programs seem to work on Windows 7, so I use Xp to escape the hassle, which is strange, because it does support the platform. Maybe it's just my computer.

Or your permissions level. Windows 7 and Windows Vista are amazingly compatible with older software, as long as you have the right permissions level.

What other software besides CS3 whines?

Dawn

Years
    Jasc Pain Shop Pro, but I know that Corel acquired the program so it's just the case of getting some coins to purchase the latest version.

Well if you're going to use inferior versions of a program what can you expect? That'd be your fault, not the OSes fault ._.

We need a aniverrsiry editon for windows xp in 2011. That's my bet.

I'm sorry but no. Come 2011 - 2013 the only thing needed is for XP to be dead so less obsolete operating systems can take it's place.

Last edited:

Silver

Kyle
    Years
    The only reason I use XP is because I'm not going to drop however much money for Windows 7 just to use it in bootcamp. If I get a student discount anytime soon, I'll probably upgrade to Win 7 64-bit just so it recognizes all my ram on my iMac and Macbook.

Cinaed666

Geek.
    Years
    Windows XP SP3 is a pretty complete OS. It is however being MADE obsolete by microsoft who are cutting all support for it. This way older hardware cannot be used anymore as the new windows versions are such resource hogs, and people will buy a brand new computer with -you guessed it- windows 7.

Dawn

Years
    You do have to keep in mind that software suites like CS 4 and such are ridiculously expensive if you wish to legitimately acquire them.

If they don't offer free updates for their program once you legitimately buy, like I'm pretty sure Adobe even does, you should not expect it to last more than a year or two. That means no blaming anything but the program itself.

Windows XP SP3 is a pretty complete OS. It is however being MADE obsolete by microsoft who are cutting all support for it. This way older hardware cannot be used anymore as the new windows versions are such resource hogs, and people will buy a brand new computer with -you guessed it- windows 7.

Lolconspiracytheory

To cut implies that end of support was forced. Reality check, XP is not future proof and has a boatload of compatibility issues at the programming level. For instance, IE9 is not going to support XP for very specific reasons. XP cannot use newer APIs that will offer major performance increases is one of these reasons. Some of these same API issues make XP browsers insecure compared to the same browser on a newer OS.

Last edited:

mr. ck

कुछ मीठा हो जाये
    Years
    The only reason I use XP is because I'm not going to drop however much money for Windows 7 just to use it in bootcamp. If I get a student discount anytime soon, I'll probably upgrade to Win 7 64-bit just so it recognizes all my ram on my iMac and Macbook.
    You get Windows 2008 for FREE as a student... Which is the latest version of the server editions of Windows.
    It has most of the features of Windows 7 as well.

@the compatibility issues. Use XP mode.

Also CS2 used to work fine in Vista, CS3 should probably also work. I'm using Win7 with CS4 and it works well. I'm thinking about getting CS5 now :)

locoroco

Years
    i still cannot think that xp is outdated. well im gonna keep to what the thread title says no its not obsolete yet true theres better technologies but xp is not obsolete

Years
    You get Windows 2008 for FREE as a student... Which is the latest version of the server editions of Windows.
    It has most of the features of Windows 7 as well.

@the compatibility issues. Use XP mode.

I don't recommend that normal users get a Sever version of Windows. There's too much they could mess up on their machine by using it.

And XP mode isn't really all it's cracked up to be, honestly. It's far easier just to get it running in Windows 7. Plus, you need Windows 7 Pro or better to even get to use XP Mode.

mr. ck

कुछ मीठा हो जाये
    Years
    Hmm... At least the XP mode assures that the software that ran in WinXP still works in Win7... And on almost all new computers it works fine...

How can you mess up your computers by using Windows Server? It is the OS used by almost all huge networks which require ThinClients and the like.

Back