• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is Windows XP Obselete?

Years
    I'd like to point out that i had a vista machine running on 512 mb ram and a 64 mb video card. So i highly doubt that those are the minimum requirements.

But then again it was vista home basic which might have lower reqs then which ever version of vista that you posted.

Home Basic wasn't even offered in some countries (such as the United States), so it's highly likely.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    Did you even bother to read the specs? it states that it was available in the us and canada and that it has vista basic for the os.

So much for not being avaliable in the us.

Years
    Did you even bother to read the specs? it states that it was available in the us and canada and that it has vista basic for the os.

So much for not being avaliable in the us.

Oh, wait, it was. Never mind. I thought I heard something about it being dropped in the US at some point, though. I know it doesn't get offered with a new system as much any more if it does.

And here's your home basic system requirements.

EDIT: And that wasn't in your post when I was last in this thread.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
    Very observational Mr. X. Vista Home Basic DOES have different minimum specs which are significantly lower. It is a very basic OS though. I would personally not try to use it for anything but just that, basic stuff.

Vista Home Basic Minimum Requirements said:
    1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
    512 MB of system memory
    20 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space
    Support for DirectX 9 graphics and 32 MB of graphics memory
    DVD-ROM drive
    Audio Output
    Internet access (fees may apply)

Poeman

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Nov 1, 2012
    Hey guys I just want you to know I'm on windows ME, and have an 8 bit monitor with 16MB of RAM, it's all you need and you kids and your fancy machines are expensive. I have no clue what Team Fortress is like but it surely can't beat pong!
    Anyways I have to go, my dial up is holding up the phone and I'm expecting a call about my Nintendo 64 RAM Expander.

Dawn

Years
    Hey guys I just want you to know I'm on windows ME, and have an 8 bit monitor with 16MB of RAM, it's all you need and you kids and your fancy machines are expensive. I have no clue what Team Fortress is like but it surely can't beat pong!
    Anyways I have to go, my dial up is holding up the phone and I'm expecting a call about my Nintendo 64 RAM Expander.

Is Windows XP Obselete?
    Oh you get back here you dastard! I'm going to break out Windows 3.1 and get minimalist all over your basement!

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Bolded my reasons to why I don't want 7. Besides, 256MB RAM is just enough for me and Photoshop *hugs* Also, 7 won't even install on my system, it needs 1GHz to run. I have 1.15GHz.

Dammit, I'm Aeris now.
    My friend didn't get The Neverhood running on his 64bit version, but on my 32bit XP it works fine. Guess what? The game is from 1994!
    64-bit Windows XP is terrible.

Mine is secure even against my own virus tests
    Oh boy, here we go. And you scoff at UAC. Unless you do penetration testing or hacking for a living, I doubt your "tests" mean anything. People that scoff at security measures really are the easiest to hack; I know this personally.

XP supports 10 and 11 on my PC.
    Nope. It doesn't. You're wrong. DX10 and DX11 aren't available for XP. There are hacks to make games think they are, but they mostly redirect calls to DX10/11 functions to similar (but slower and not as good) DX9 ones.
    And I should care... why?
    Because you won't be able to use newer programs. Of course, if you want to have Windows 3.1-like compatibility with applications, nobody's going to stop you.

Yawn, 98 and XP aren't supported, why should I care about 7? It'll last about 6 years.
    Then use it for six years. If you're still using 98, you must not have a lot of computer needs.

Zet

Years
    Needs more Monkey Island games.

So what you're saying is that XP wasn't obsolete back when XP wasn't obsolete? I think I agree, and furthermore, I think we should all talk about how old technology wasn't old when it wasn't old. Have you seen the new (decades ago) DOS 6.22? Oh man, it's got some cool new (decades ago) features. I hear it can even support the new (decades ago) Windows interface, it's great for productivity (decades ago)!
    And Linux was a poor man's Unix. Though now Linux just beats Unix by doing what Unix can do and more.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    You can basically ignore any comments saying the common software won't run. And who was smart enough to say that Photoshop only needs 256MB ram? How old could the version be?

I have Photoshop CS on my computer. I also can use Google Chrome, too.

Now YouTube is a problem. Can't even access that bastard.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    Add in Google Chrome, Windows Explorer, and Windows Media Player (due to WinAMP not functioning with YouTube) and you get a computer that's slow as hell.

Oh, and I have a drawing pad connected too!

locoroco

Ginga Densetsu Weed ANIME PWNS
    Years
    My colleague Preston Gralla came up with seven reasons to move to Windows 7. And, they are pretty good, but good enough to switch away from XP, or to skip Mac OS X Snow Leopard or desktop Linux? I don't think so. Let me open up by saying though that if you're using Vista-you poor, poor person-yes, you should migrate to Windows 7. After all, Windows 7 is really just Vista without the warts. Otherwise, no, I don't see any compelling reason to switch.
    I say this as someone who's also been running Windows 7 since the late betas and I'm currently running the RTM (release to manufacturing) version. I like Windows 7, but if you were to ask me what the big feature, the 'wow' that would make you want to go to the trouble of moving to Windows 7, I'd be left without anything to say. Heck, look at Gralla list, number one on the list is the new taskbar. Microsoft wants me to spend big bucks for a new taskbar!?
    OK, on with the list.
    1) Windows 7 still has all the security of a drunken teenager in a sports car. From Windows for Workgroups and NT 3 until today, Windows is a security joke. It used to be that running Windows just put your head into the noose. Now, millions of lazy Windows users are the reason why the Internet is a mess. If you already do all the right things to keep XP running safely, you're not going to get any safer by buying Windows 7.
    2) Windows 7, no matter how you buy it, is expensive. Does your budget have the extra cash to buy a new and improved taskbar!?
    3) Upgrading from XP to Windows 7 will require that you do a clean install. That means everything on your hard disk gets vaporized during the 'upgrade." Vista users have it easier. So long as they're moving from equivalent version to equivalent version or to Windows 7 Ultimate they can update without needing to rebuild their systems.
    There are lots of ways, like Microsoft's own Windows Easy Transfer and I'm sure there will be many more, to migrate your data from your old system to your new one, but all of them take work. If you have a business with dozens to tens-of-thousands of Windows PCs you can count on a honking, huge upgrade bill.
    4) Did you notice what I didn't say above? I didn't mention transferring your old programs and device drivers from XP to Windows 7. For that, Easy Transfer and most of the first generation of migration programs are of no help at all. You'll need to reinstall your old programs and device drivers. Then, you'll need to update all those programs and drivers. Doesn't that sound like fun? Doesn't that sound like hour after hour per PC of migration work?
    5) XP already works. I can tell you chapter and verse on why you'd be better off running desktop Linux or put a Mac on your desk. Most of you though are happy running XP. If that's you, I'll be darned if I can think of a single, significant change that you'll get from running Windows 7 instead of XP.
    6) If you're an XP user you'll need to learn a new user interface. Parri Munsell, Microsoft's Director of Consumer Product Management for Windows, has been fond of saying, "Our goal was to make the UI (user interface) in Windows 7 much easier to navigate." OK, I'd agree. It is a bit better.
    But, I'm someone who switches operating system interfaces as often as most of you go out to get a pizza. I asked some friends who were XP stalwarts what they thought about the interface. They all thought it was pretty, but, they also all found it annoying to work with since they had to re-learn how to do XP basics. Vista users will have it easier, but XP users can expect to have a learning curve with the new UI.
    And, once more, I find myself asking, "Is there anything here that's really a solid improvement on XP?" Or, to get brass tacks, if I'm a CFO or CIO, I want to know what I'm going to get out of re-training people to the new interface and I'm left thinking there's really nothing game-changing about the Windows 7 UI.
    7) Finally, if you have an older PC, forget about it. I know there are people who swear that Windows 7 will run on low-powered PCs. Yeah, right. I've used Windows 7 on netbooks. It wasn't pretty. Windows 7 Starter Edition? Microsoft won't sell it to you.
    Bottom line. If you want something that's really better than XP, and you're willing to go to the trouble and expense of moving from one platform to another, you'll get real improvements like better security and low up-front costs, from a desktop Linux like SLED (SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop) 11 or Ubuntu 9.04. Windows 7 is certainly better than Vista, but XP... not so much.

some of the reasons why i dont like 7. read and then talk because like it says right there 7 isnt all that is cracked up to be.also if it aint broke dont fix it.

Last edited:

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    My colleague Preston Gralla came up with seven reasons to move to Windows 7. And, they are pretty good, but good enough to switch away from XP, or to skip Mac OS X Snow Leopard or desktop Linux? I don't think so. Let me open up by saying though that if you're using Vista-you poor, poor person-yes, you should migrate to Windows 7. After all, Windows 7 is really just Vista without the warts. Otherwise, no, I don't see any compelling reason to switch.
    I say this as someone who's also been running Windows 7 since the late betas and I'm currently running the RTM (release to manufacturing) version. I like Windows 7, but if you were to ask me what the big feature, the 'wow' that would make you want to go to the trouble of moving to Windows 7, I'd be left without anything to say. Heck, look at Gralla list, number one on the list is the new taskbar. Microsoft wants me to spend big bucks for a new taskbar!?
    OK, on with the list.
    1) Windows 7 still has all the security of a drunken teenager in a sports car. From Windows for Workgroups and NT 3 until today, Windows is a security joke. It used to be that running Windows just put your head into the noose. Now, millions of lazy Windows users are the reason why the Internet is a mess. If you already do all the right things to keep XP running safely, you're not going to get any safer by buying Windows 7.
    2) Windows 7, no matter how you buy it, is expensive. Does your budget have the extra cash to buy a new and improved taskbar!?
    3) Upgrading from XP to Windows 7 will require that you do a clean install. That means everything on your hard disk gets vaporized during the 'upgrade." Vista users have it easier. So long as they're moving from equivalent version to equivalent version or to Windows 7 Ultimate they can update without needing to rebuild their systems.
    There are lots of ways, like Microsoft's own Windows Easy Transfer and I'm sure there will be many more, to migrate your data from your old system to your new one, but all of them take work. If you have a business with dozens to tens-of-thousands of Windows PCs you can count on a honking, huge upgrade bill.
    4) Did you notice what I didn't say above? I didn't mention transferring your old programs and device drivers from XP to Windows 7. For that, Easy Transfer and most of the first generation of migration programs are of no help at all. You'll need to reinstall your old programs and device drivers. Then, you'll need to update all those programs and drivers. Doesn't that sound like fun? Doesn't that sound like hour after hour per PC of migration work?
    5) XP already works. I can tell you chapter and verse on why you'd be better off running desktop Linux or put a Mac on your desk. Most of you though are happy running XP. If that's you, I'll be darned if I can think of a single, significant change that you'll get from running Windows 7 instead of XP.
    6) If you're an XP user you'll need to learn a new user interface. Parri Munsell, Microsoft's Director of Consumer Product Management for Windows, has been fond of saying, "Our goal was to make the UI (user interface) in Windows 7 much easier to navigate." OK, I'd agree. It is a bit better.
    But, I'm someone who switches operating system interfaces as often as most of you go out to get a pizza. I asked some friends who were XP stalwarts what they thought about the interface. They all thought it was pretty, but, they also all found it annoying to work with since they had to re-learn how to do XP basics. Vista users will have it easier, but XP users can expect to have a learning curve with the new UI.
    And, once more, I find myself asking, "Is there anything here that's really a solid improvement on XP?" Or, to get brass tacks, if I'm a CFO or CIO, I want to know what I'm going to get out of re-training people to the new interface and I'm left thinking there's really nothing game-changing about the Windows 7 UI.
    7) Finally, if you have an older PC, forget about it. I know there are people who swear that Windows 7 will run on low-powered PCs. Yeah, right. I've used Windows 7 on netbooks. It wasn't pretty. Windows 7 Starter Edition? Microsoft won't sell it to you.
    Bottom line. If you want something that's really better than XP, and you're willing to go to the trouble and expense of moving from one platform to another, you'll get real improvements like better security and low up-front costs, from a desktop Linux like SLED (SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop) 11 or Ubuntu 9.04. Windows 7 is certainly better than Vista, but XP... not so much.

some of the reasons why i dont like 7. read and then talk because like it says right there 7 isnt all that is cracked up to be.also if it aint broke dont fix it.
    Perhaps you should cite your source, I don't like to have to Google for it.

As some of the comments in that article pointed out, a lot of that is bull. He makes no effort to back up any of his claims. Windows 7 less secure? Now there's a joke. XP is a festering wound in the internet, and Vista and 7 are endlessly ahead in terms of security. In terms of price, it's not that hard to get it free or for a reduced price.

I'm not sure whether the clean install statement is accurate, but even if it is, it shouldn't be a big deal if you made a data partition and can write down a quick list of software to reinstall (and lol at the implication that businesses still keep data on the same partition, or even hard drive, as the OS).

His argument that it "just works" explains itself, but I'll add something on. DOS "just worked," and Windows 3.1 "just worked." That doesn't mean there wasn't a compelling reason to upgrade. I can think of several reasons to upgrade to Windows 7, some of which I have already mentioned.

He even admits the Windows 7 interface is better before going on to assume that the person reading the article is as stupid as he is and can't figure out a slightly different interface (that, for the record, you can easily make look like the old one).

The way he makes his "argument," it's almost like he got that one sentence backward. Perhaps it should have read like this.
    Let me open up by saying though that if you're using XP-you poor, poor person-yes, you should migrate to Windows 7. After all, Windows 7 is really just Vista with a few nice changes, so why bother upgrading a Vista computer?

Dawn

Years
    Microsoft wants me to spend big bucks for a new taskbar!?
    No. :\

1) Windows 7 still has all the security of a drunken teenager in a sports car. If you already do all the right things to keep XP running safely, you're not going to get any safer by buying Windows 7.
    Windows 7 has more native security than XP, and will continue to get more, unlike XP. This is factual, not opinionated you know. If I need to, I can list these security features and how they protect the system.

Does your budget have the extra cash to buy a new and improved taskbar!?
    Yes, because that's completely irrelevant to buying Windows 7. Getting a new and improved taskbar is practically free with mods.

3) Upgrading from XP to Windows 7 will require that you do a clean install. That means everything on your hard disk gets vaporized during the 'upgrade."
    Lie. Windows 7 supports a Custom Install without a reformat. No files are lost.

5) XP already works.
    So does 3.1

You can't be a gamer, a minimalist, and also try and run Linux. >>

Seriously dude, you can't argue that XP is as good as or better than Windows 7. That's just ridiculous. This is about whether XP is obsolete.

Last edited:

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    I sure wish my school would get 7 already (they upgrade the Macs constantly, so why can't they at least do something for the PCs? It's like my middle school and how they'd upgrade Macs and then downgraded their PCs to 95 at around the time of XP's beginnings >.>). I have 7 at home, but they have XP still, and the differences are glaring. I'm at home most often and only use the PCs at school to work on Maya because my laptop can't handle it. I'm used to the ease of workflow that 7 has, but then I go to the lab and it's just... ugh. I sit there thinking the whole time about how old and unwieldy XP is in the face of 7.

It's not Vista, so I don't see any reason to continue to hesitate with upgrading. Plus, it's college. There's no ancient stuff of questionable compatibility to be run when the point is to teach up-to-date, big name software to keep students current for when they graduate.

locoroco

Ginga Densetsu Weed ANIME PWNS
    Years
    you completely lost the point of the post if you read closely it states that "If you already do all the right things to keep XP running safely, you're not going to get any safer by buying Windows 7. " though its just a lil safer the post already says it.also did you read a lil forward"There are lots of ways, like Microsoft's own Windows Easy Transfer and I'm sure there will be many more, to migrate your data from your old system to your new one, but all of them take work. If you have a business with dozens to tens-of-thousands of Windows PCs you can count on a honking, huge upgrade bill." it doesn't say that its impossible it says that it requires work.Also you are practicly just spending big bucks for a taskbar xp already work perfectly and doesn't make a difference if you use 7 it says that your safer but if you have bad internet habits you are not safer than xp neither less safer you are equally safe they all get viruses and win7 viruses are a bad bad thing.Also dont start saying gaming cuz 7 has horrible audio,if you notice lots of users get problems with the jacks or the audio being laggy or choppy im just saying dont know if its true.In a final note what im trying to say is that if your upgrading to 7 because you have viruses well then fix your internet habits cuz i dont get any viruses and haven't gotten 1 for 7 years so its not safer if you move to 7 you just have less probability at spyware big deal. my xp is working perfectly and i dont need to change it so i would recommend ppl who dont have any problems with xp to stick to it 7 will not make the "safer" thing better it will make you think you are safer thats it cuz i had 7 i downloaded most of the stuff i got now and my 7 crashed on me i had to restore her by pressing f5 and doing some steps to actually boot her 5 hours later and ive almost filled the hard drive and yet no virusesso sorry but 7 doesnt make a big diff from xp if you know how to use it.

Back