• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is Windows XP Obselete?

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    Nan, it was IE8 or IE 9 on Windows 7, not sure. It crashed to Hell, couldn't open some HTML pages, and was slow as heck :< Mozilla is a lot safer and crash-resistant for me.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Schools only kept it because Vista failed epically in security. W7 is a different story.
    I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Windows 7 is actually Windows Vista service pack 3, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Windows Mojave 2.0.

Seriously, Vista was fine security-wise. The only problems were fixed after the first service pack, and those were mostly related to drivers (most of which were based on the outdated XP driver model instead of the completely redesigned one that Vista and 7 use). Vista is a pleasure to use these days, I use it and 7 on many of my systems and there are few discernible differences.

Nan, it was IE8 or IE 9 on Windows 7, not sure. It crashed to Hell, couldn't open some HTML pages, and was slow as heck :< Mozilla is a lot safer and crash-resistant for me.
    Internet Explorer 9 is not out yet. I haven't heard of this sort of problem, normally IE8 works great on Windows Vista and Windows 7. If Firefox works, use it for now, but if you see a fix somewhere, I'd recommend trying it out.

Michfan

Bodacious Intellectual
    Years
    I'm going to go with the majority to say that Windows XP has "terminal cancer", and will die out by 2014. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate right now, feels good man. If you can't afford 7, definitely keep going with XP.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    Internet Explorer 9 is not out yet. I haven't heard of this sort of problem, normally IE8 works great on Windows Vista and Windows 7. If Firefox works, use it for now, but if you see a fix somewhere, I'd recommend trying it out.

Ah, okay. I just knew it wasn't IE7 xD lol but I wasn't sure what one was the newest IE. Thanks for clarifying.

In any case, yeah, Mozilla works better for me. IE hates me for some reason.

I love Windows 7, though. XP is great for those W7-noncompatible games.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
    I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Windows 7 is actually Windows Vista service pack 3, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Windows Mojave 2.0.

Seriously, Vista was fine security-wise. The only problems were fixed after the first service pack, and those were mostly related to drivers (most of which were based on the outdated XP driver model instead of the completely redesigned one that Vista and 7 use). Vista is a pleasure to use these days, I use it and 7 on many of my systems and there are few discernible differences.

I've never heard of it either. Sounds like the typical IE6 comment except change 6 to 8. Makes me question the authenticity, no offense. Just because of the low probability of this happening I wouldn't place the blame on IE8. Weird shiz happens sometimes.

Firefox is not a safe browser. I must stress that Mozilla has yet to upgrade Firefox to the latest technology. This is factual, not opinion based. You can say it's secure but that hacker aint listening. It's for your own safety that you wait for Mozilla to upgrade FF before you put it in any dangerous situations.

If you use Windows seven and want security and speed Chrome has the specs.

If you use XP... well... sorry, you can't benefit from the extra security because the OS can't handle it. You're out in the open. I'd avoid anything that could be a virus because at this point there's no real way for an XP user to be protected truly. Caution is the only protection.
    So you might as well use Firefox with XP.

See why I say XP is obselete? It just can't run with any other more modern OS anymore.

twocows

Years
    I've never heard of it either. Sounds like the typical IE6 comment except change 6 to 8. Makes me question the authenticity, no offense. Just because of the low probability of this happening I wouldn't place the blame on IE8. Weird shiz happens sometimes.

Firefox is not a safe browser. I must stress that Mozilla has yet to upgrade Firefox to the latest technology. This is factual, not opinion based. You can say it's secure but that hacker aint listening. It's for your own safety that you wait for Mozilla to upgrade FF before you put it in any dangerous situations.

If you use Windows seven and want security and speed Chrome has the specs.

If you use XP... well... sorry, you can't benefit from the extra security because the OS can't handle it. You're out in the open. I'd avoid anything that could be a virus because at this point there's no real way for an XP user to be protected truly. Caution is the only protection.
    So you might as well use Firefox with XP.

See why I say XP is obselete? It just can't run with any other more modern OS anymore.

Agree with everything except the part about Firefox being insecure. It's not suffering from any more zero-day exploits than anything else (at least as far as I'm aware of); pretty much everything that's out right now is secure provided it and your OS are updated (and that's the key point). One thing Firefox has is Adblock, though. A lot of exploits are transmitted through ads; that's one thing Firefox still has over the other browsers (Chrome has something similar, but it just hides the ads, it doesn't stop them from loading).

Dawn

Years
    Agree with everything except the part about Firefox being insecure. It's not suffering from any more zero-day exploits than anything else (at least as far as I'm aware of); pretty much everything that's out right now is secure provided it and your OS are updated (and that's the key point). One thing Firefox has is Adblock, though. A lot of exploits are transmitted through ads; that's one thing Firefox still has over the other browsers (Chrome has something similar, but it just hides the ads, it doesn't stop them from loading).

I've already presented that I have solid evidence that Firefox is in fact lacking security features other browsers (IE8/Chrome, mainly) have.

Like I said, you can say it's secure, but the hacker is not listening.

Also: Adblock is on Chrome. It's not 'similar' it's the same thing.
    https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom

twocows

Years
    I've already presented that I have solid evidence that Firefox is in fact lacking security features other browsers (IE8/Chrome, mainly) have.

Like I said, you can say it's secure, but the hacker is not listening.

Also: Adblock is on Chrome. It's not 'similar' it's the same thing.
    https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom
    Incorrect. From the page:
    We're waiting on a Chrome feature that will allow us to block ads from being downloaded. Until then, we remove them after the fact. This means that even if you subscribe to the EasyPrivacy list, your browser will still be pinging the URLs that track you. Star the issue at https://bit.ly/chromebug35897 to get this fixed sooner!
    Given that Google's primary source of revenue is ads, I doubt we'll be seeing this implemented anytime soon.

As for Firefox, as I have said, I haven't seen a significantly higher number of zero-day or unpatched exploits than on any other browser, provided it's updated. I have, however, had fewer problems with Firefox users (using Adblock Plus) clicking on popups telling them they've won a prize/their computer is infected/the FBI is watching and subsequently downloading a virus.

Last edited:

Dawn

Years
    As for Firefox, as I have said, I haven't seen a significantly higher number of zero-day or unpatched exploits than on any other browser, provided it's updated. I have, however, had fewer problems with Firefox users (using Adblock Plus) clicking on popups telling them they've won a prize/their computer is infected/the FBI is watching and subsequently downloading a virus.

Firefox is not updated compared to it's competitors. Statistics aren't factual, while my observations on browser security features are. If anything, those statistics suggest the USER is smarter, not the browser is more secure. Here, read the Firefox 3.6.4 beta release notes. This is just an example of age old technology finally starting to make it's way to the insecure browser. The main feature described in the "What's new" section has been in Chrome as far back as I can remember.

https://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/3.6.4build1/releasenotes/

KAZillonaire

Pokémon is my profession.
    Years
    No. It's actually very common, because it's simple and basic. Unlike Vista, with some stuff you aren't use to. If you have XP, I suggest learn more about Vista and 7, before you make a lemonade stand and save up for a new computer.

Dawn

Years
    No. It's actually very common, because it's simple and basic. Unlike Vista, with some stuff you aren't use to. If you have XP, I suggest learn more about Vista and 7, before you make a lemonade stand and save up for a new computer.

Why would we want simple and basic? If we wanted that, we'd stick with 2000? 98? 95? Maybe DOS?
    I thought we wanted functional and easy to use, some things XP isn't compared to Vista and 7.

Years
    Why would we want simple and basic? If we wanted that, we'd stick with 2000? 98? 95? Maybe DOS?
    I thought we wanted functional and easy to use, some things XP isn't compared to Vista and 7.

Ever done support for the nearly-computer-illiterate? The majority of these people just got used to XP in the last few years, and Vista/7 have such huge interface changes from XP that this group is completely turned off by both because it's so different.

Dawn

Years
    But it's pretty darn similar, and far superior.
    I don't see how that answers my question, either. Not liking change doesn't seem to be a very valid argument.

Okami Chi

El Guitar Man~
    Years
    In some things yes, in others no. After they make the next Windows I think XP will be dead. I think the only reason XP is not dead yet, is because it's easy to use and because some people viewed Windows Vista as a fail. I like Vista and 7, but others hate them. :\

Dawn

Years
    because it's easy to use

Well I disagree with that. The amount of manual driver installs and trouble shooting involved in setting up and or fixing a Windows XP install compared to Vista or 7 makes me think XP is harder to use.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    XP is lightweight and is the newest OS that runs on my computer. Yes, Windows 7 is too greedy for this. If there was a Windows 98 thing that made it run like XP, I'd take it. I want 7, but I'm so used to XP, I just installed a 7 Remix Package.

Years
    Well I disagree with that. The amount of manual driver installs and trouble shooting involved in setting up and or fixing a Windows XP install compared to Vista or 7 makes me think XP is harder to use.

End users don't often deal with that. Like I said, it's the level of comfort with the interface. I point you to this trope on TVTropes. This happens a lot to Microsoft, but there's not a whole lot that can be done about it.

Years
    My older Compaq computer from 2006 has XP on it and I don't have many issues with it. In fact, I only had one major virus attack, but my friend got it back in shape in a few days. My 2008 Compaq has Vista and I still hate the stupid thing.due to the fact that some of my games don't work on it. I'm just happy my NASCAR games run fine and without issue. Maybe in 2-3 years, we'll get a new computer that has Windows 7 in it and I'll complain about how that sucks.

@ PkMnTrainer Yellow: I never had any issues with Firefox with my XP computer and I haven't had any issues with Firefox on my Vista computer. On the subject about driver problems for XP, there's a simple remedy if you're technologically inept: Have a good friend who knows a lot about computers. Problem solved!

Dawn

Years
    My older Compaq computer from 2006 has XP on it and I don't have many issues with it. In fact, I only had one major virus attack, but my friend got it back in shape in a few days. My 2008 Compaq has Vista and I still hate the stupid thing.due to the fact that some of my games don't work on it. I'm just happy my NASCAR games run fine and without issue. Maybe in 2-3 years, we'll get a new computer that has Windows 7 in it and I'll complain about how that sucks.

@ PkMnTrainer Yellow: I never had any issues with Firefox with my XP computer and I haven't had any issues with Firefox on my Vista computer. On the subject about driver problems for XP, there's a simple remedy if you're technologically inept: Have a good friend who knows a lot about computers. Problem solved!

I would be that good friend that has to deal with XP all the time.:\ Not fun.

Also, my Windows 7 installation has had 0 minor or major attacks since early beta. =3 I put it through plenty of dangerous situations, too.

Windows XP is crashzilla under the same user, being me in this case.

With XP, I had to deal with using IE6 and having hundreds of major security holes, some of which can't be fixed, out of the box. I also had to install a driver manually for most of my hardware. This includes anytime I get something new.

With 7, run windows update, plug in my stuff. It automatically installs, and I go.

Back