• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

It Can/Can't Learn This Move?!

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
    You read the title, and I assume you're thinking the same with a specific Pokémon in mind. Sometimes moveset distributions can be a little bizarre with what's in them and what isn't in them.

Here are some examples I thought of for the former:

Zarude's signature move, Jungle Healing, has always weirded me out. Nothing about Zarude's design screams "healer" to me, and its stats and typing clearly want it to be an attacker instead of a supporter instead. I suppose there is some lore behind it, but Jungle Healing doesn't seem to synergize well with the Pokémon it's designed for, especially when VGC, the official doubles format, doesn't allow mythical Pokémon like Zarude.

Spidops is hilarious because it's got awful stats but somehow finds the smallest of competitive niches due to its unique and varied movepool, with access to Sticky Web, Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Circle Throw (a move exclusive to Spidops in SV atm), First Impression, and an inherently better Protect in Silk Trap. Maybe this is Game Freak trying to tell us that stats don't always make or break a Pokémon, but I think we've learned that since 2000 when Smeargle was around.

Toedscool and Toedscruel were given some really nutty moves. Obviously as mushroom Pokémon they have access to Spore and Rage Powder, but then you take a closer look at their learnset: Taunt??? Knock Off??? Trick Room??? Reflect??? Light Screen??? Spikes and Toxic Spikes??? They really wanted these guys to be the support Pokémon to end all support Pokémon.

While not in a mainline game specifically, I scrolled through Charizard's move list in Smash Bros. Ultimate out of random and found out that its forward smash has the exact same name as "Headlong Rush" in Japanese, and is thus translated accordingly. Since Charizard had this exact same forward smash in Smash 4, it got me thinking about whether Charizard learned this move about eight years before its official debut as a Pokémon move. In Ultimate, Incineroar's down smash is also named "Body Press," a move that wouldn't be officially introduced in the games until about a year later. Neither of these Pokémon can learn these respective moves in the actual Pokémon games, but it's not like Smash has stuck so rigidly with movesets before.

For the latter:

I always wondered why Sneasel didn't learn any good Dark-type attacks beyond Beat Up since using one in Black 2. It doesn't even get Night Slash until you evolve it into a Weavile, which is particularly strange to me. Heck, Hisuian Sneasel gets to learn it as an Egg Move (granted, you shouldn't be getting this SV yet), but I want to emphasize that they gave specifically the non-Dark-type Sneasel the ability to learn Night Slash.

I've heard people bemoan that Klinklang can't learn High Horsepower because it needs coverage and it's a pun too good to pass up. The joke would even work in Japanese, in case you're worried about that.

Regieleki, a being whose entire body is made of electrical energy, can't learn Energy Ball. Yes, we don't want such an annoyingly good Pokémon to be even better, and Energy Ball might require energy that Regieleki specifically can't draw from, but I want them to commit to it, dagnabbit! Throw Regidrago the same bone too while we're at it.

Revavroom, a Pokémon based on automobiles, can't learn U-Turn. I think this discrepancy speaks for itself.

It might seem counter-intuitive to give this move to a Pokémon whose ability lowers opponents' physical attack, but not giving Strength Sap to Wo-Chien feels like a massively missed opportunity.

You could argue Kingambit not learning Final Gambit is weird, but on the other hand the idea of sacrificing your king in chess is the worst possible move you could make.

Last edited:

ribbits

ribbit
    Years
    Gastly learning elemental punches had always made me chuckle. Haunter I can understand, but how is Gastly throwing hands?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday

Years
    Diglet can learn Aerial Ace. The mole Pokemon, who is always partially submerged in the ground, can take to the skies.
    It also learns Sucker Punch... how is it punching, exactly? 🤔

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Golurk with Fly. Indicates no means of flight. Also seems weird on a Ground-type.

Barboach with Spark (as an egg move).

Mentioned some of the good Generation 1 weird moves already. Another old classic: Starmie with Thunderbolt.

Why does Blissey get Stomping Tantrum (by TM)? Seems so out of character.

Most Self-Destruct learners, honestly. Azelf, Landorus, Cloyster, Exeggutor, Corsola, Shiftry, Wailord, Lickilicky, Vanilluxe...

Cannot learn Pin Missile on Pincurchin in Scarlet/Violet. (Accessed it by TM in Sword/Shield.)

Cannot learn Superpower on Palafin. Technically has a "Hero Form", not a "Superhero Form". Still...

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Golurk with Fly. Indicates no means of flight. Also seems weird on a Ground-type.
    For that one, some of its dex entries mention that it can fly, and I remember a scene in one of the movies where it flies via rocket thrusters or something

Adam Levine

Years

This one really bothers me because Black Kyurem desperately could've used a (good) physical Ice move before getting Icicle Crash in Generation 8. It even has a different level-up moveset from regular Kyurem, but for some reason they really just let it down in the move department.

Diglet can learn Aerial Ace. The mole Pokemon, who is always partially submerged in the ground, can take to the skies.
    It also learns Sucker Punch... how is it punching, exactly? 🤔

For the Aerial Ace thing...coverage moment, I guess. Diglett does have claws (ones we can't see, but claws regardless), and it's never explicitly stated in the games that the user needs to leave the ground to learn this move, but considering how the anime portrays Aerial Ace it's kinda weird.
    As for Sucker Punch, it's really only called Sucker Punch in English. The attack's Japanese name can be translated literally as the more generic, nondescript "Surprise Attack," and thus isn't considered a punching move, so what Diglett is "punching" you with is up to interpretation. Is it its implied claws? Its head? Who knows!

Most Self-Destruct learners, honestly. Azelf, Landorus, Cloyster, Exeggutor, Corsola, Shiftry, Wailord, Lickilicky, Vanilluxe...

Cannot learn Superpower on Palafin. Technically has a "Hero Form", not a "Superhero Form". Still...

I think Barboach being able to learn Spark is a reference to electric catfish, which are a family of catfish that can generate electricity. Now the real question is why Dondozo can't learn Spark...

Considering what beached whale carcasses are known to do every now and then, as well as Wailord probably being based on a blimp, I think Wailord learning Self-destruct is fitting, and I don't know why, but to me, seed Pokémon like Exeggutor and Seedot (which can later become a Shiftry) just feel like they should be able to explode. The rest though? Yeah, I'm not sure I can justify why a coral, an elf, a snowy facsimile of an ice cream, and a buff orange man can detonate themselves on command. I guess Lickilicky learns it the same way Snorlax can, in that it gets so bloated that it simply can't hold it in anymore?

According to Bulbapedia on "Superpower":

Though it translates to Great Power, the Japanese name of the move can also mean Animal Power, which may explain why it can be learned by several beast-like Pokémon, such as Luxray.

I guess Palafin just isn't savage enough.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years

Mentioned some of the good Generation 1 weird moves already. Another old classic: Starmie with Thunderbolt.

Why does Blissey get Stomping Tantrum (by TM)? Seems so out of character.

Cannot learn Pin Missile on Pincurchin in Scarlet/Violet. (Accessed it by TM in Sword/Shield.)

Yes, it can:

Anyway, Yanmega not being able to learn Fly when it said it can carry humans on its back while flying.

Adam Levine

Years
    Anyway, Yanmega not being able to learn Fly when it said it can carry humans on its back while flying.

Thanks for bringing up another reason I hate HMs. Not only do they force you to have these below-average moves on something you're likely going to use for battles, but the fickleness of move distribution is especially prominent when you realize what can and can't learn HMs. Ironically the only Bug-types capable of learning Fly (Volcarona and Genesect before HMs were phased out, plus Vikavolt) aren't even Flying-types, and as mentioned before, Rhydon learning Surf is quite peculiar.

Not to mention how unintuitive it is figuring out what Pokémon can learn Rock Climb. Distribution for that move seems strangely limited, especially for something that's required to progress in-game. Chansey is apparently more skilled at climbing walls than Dialga and Palkia, because the pink blob can learn Rock Climb.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
    Say, Lumineon has words in it's name relating to light, so that means it could learn Dazzling gleam, a light based move?

No. Lumineon can't learn that in any form.

Ferroseed with Metal claw is also weird. It's evo I get because it could use vines as limbs, but Ferroseed has no limbs, how does it use Metal claw?

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
    Not a specific Pokemon, but a but a specific move for me. False Swipe - the number of Pokemon that can learn it is so tiny, and also kinda weird... Like Shroomish, of all Pokemon, can learn it, but tons and tons of Pokemon with sharp claws can not. It doesn't make any sense to me.

It's the one move where I'm always thinking surely a Pokemon can learn it, but nope.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    Here are some that I thought of from the top of my head:

Can't learn:

Pinsir: Megahorn – I never understood how a Pokémon with two big horns on its head can't learn Megahorn.
    Kabuto line: Shell Smash – Both Pokémon have shells, but can't learn Shell Smash.
    Zubat line: Poison Jab – They are poisonous bats that are capable of using Cross Poison, but can't use Poison Jab. Certainly "Cross Poisoning" someone can be done a jabbing motion, right?
    Elekid line: Bulk Up – You meant to tell me that a Pokémon this bulky can't learn Bulk Up?
    Yanma line: Fly – They are Bug/Flying type Pokémon and the Pokédex even says that Yanmega is capable of flying humans on its back, but somehow can't learn Fly.
    Nearly every Pokémon: Toxic – In past generations, nearly every Pokémon could learn Toxic via TM, even Pokémon that clearly aren't poisonous by any means. How is this possible? Perhaps the TM just teaches Pokémon to carry potent poison with them and use it when needed?
    Regigigas (before gen 8): Protect – Practically every Pokémon could learn this move except Regigigas. Why? To keep him hindered by Slow Start more?

Can learn:

Doduo line: Fly – I never understood how they could fly without wings. Joke by the developers?
    Rhydon, Rhyperior, Aggron, Rampardos: Surf – All these Pokémon are part Rock-type and Rhydon and Rhyperior are also part Ground, meaning they have a double weakness to Water and somehow, they can safely ferry your player through the water. It makes no sense to me.
    Mimikyu: Wood Hammer – I honestly don't understand how Mimikyu is able to learn Wood Hammer. It is Ghost/Fairy and nothing indicates that can attack you with anything made of wood. What's going on here?
    UPDATE: I feel slightly stupid now. I never realized that its fake tail is made out of wood until now. Wow. Well, that answers that question!
    Elgyem line: Steel Wing – How is this possible when they don't have wings at all?

Gastly learning elemental punches had always made me chuckle. Haunter I can understand, but how is Gastly throwing hands?

In the anime, Gastly is shown with the ability to form "hands" out of the gas that surrounds its body. This is likely how it is able to learn punching moves.

Adam Levine

Years
    Pinsir: Megahorn – I never understood how a Pokémon with two big horns on its head can't learn Megahorn.

To rub salt on the wound, you know what does learn Megahorn? Scolipede, a Pokémon with two much punier horns (heck, they're more of antennae than anything else), and freaking Spinarak, a Pokémon with barely a horn at all.

Nearly every Pokémon: Toxic – In past generations, nearly every Pokémon could learn Toxic via TM, even Pokémon that clearly aren't poisonous by any means. How is this possible? Perhaps the TM just teaches Pokémon to carry potent poison with them and use it when needed?

The only real background info we have of this move is that it's apparently a "secret technique" from Koga's family, passed down through generations, so I guess since almost anything could learn this in older generations, it's not really a "secret" technique anymore. The various manga don't exactly shy away from Toxic's strange distribution, and the Pokémon that use the move there usually just inexplicably turn poisonous or release a toxic substance. I'm as lost as you are; maybe the move was this way for some weird gameplay purpose we just haven't figured out?

Elgyem line: Steel Wing – How is this possible when they don't have wings at all?

The main theory is that in Generation VI, since TM51 was changed from Ally Switch, a move no one would bat an eye at if Elgyem and Beheeyem could learn, to Steel Wing, for whatever reason they just forgot to remove TM51 from their learnset. The worse, but funnier theory is that it's a cheeky reference to Area 51, since they're based on aliens, but they can't even learn TM51 (Icicle Spear) in SwSh, so maybe the cheeky Area 51 joke wasn't worth bringing back the third time around, but they decided to let them keep Steel Wing as a gag.

As a side note, Leavanny can learn the move too. ...Leavanny has no wings either. I checked the back sprite.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Not a specific Pokemon, but a but a specific move for me. False Swipe - the number of Pokemon that can learn it is so tiny, and also kinda weird... Like Shroomish, of all Pokemon, can learn it, but tons and tons of Pokemon with sharp claws can not. It doesn't make any sense to me.

It's the one move where I'm always thinking surely a Pokemon can learn it, but nope.

Sometimes the Japanese names are the reason for the confusion…"Strike With The Back Of The Sword". Well no, Shroomish doesn't have hands!
    To be fair those that get it via level-up all make sense, I figure TMs being man-made means they can expand a Pokémon's movepool beyond what it could accomplish in its natural environment (where it would have no need to adapt)?

Here are some that I thought of from the top of my head:

Can't learn:

Kabuto line: Shell Smash – Both Pokémon have shells, but can't learn Shell Smash.
    Yanma line: Fly – They are Bug/Flying type Pokémon and the Pokédex even says that Yanmega is capable of flying humans on its back, but somehow can't learn Fly.
    Regigigas (before gen 8): Protect – Practically every Pokémon could learn this move except Regigigas. Why? To keep him hindered by Slow Start more?

Can learn:

Doduo line: Fly – I never understood how they could fly without wings. Joke by the developers?
    Rhydon, Rhyperior, Aggron, Rampardos: Surf – All these Pokémon are part Rock-type and Rhydon and Rhyperior are also part Ground, meaning they have a double weakness to Water and somehow, they can safely ferry your player through the water. It makes no sense to me.

Pinsir is an awful shout. They gave it a Mega but they couldn't fix its moveset? C'mon, it needs Megahorn to fight Heracross - which can use the move!
    You're spot on with the reasoning on Regigigas, this post is actually the only reason I know I can give it Protect in BDSP.

The main theory is that in Generation VI, since TM51 was changed from Ally Switch, a move no one would bat an eye at if Elgyem and Beheeyem could learn, to Steel Wing, for whatever reason they just forgot to remove TM51 from their learnset. The worse, but funnier theory is that it's a cheeky reference to Area 51, since they're based on aliens, but they can't even learn TM51 (Icicle Spear) in SwSh, so maybe the cheeky Area 51 joke wasn't worth bringing back the third time around, but they decided to let them keep Steel Wing as a gag.

As a side note, Leavanny can learn the move too. ...Leavanny has no wings either. I checked the back sprite.

Steel Wing in Japanese is... はがねのつばさ Steel Wing. Huh.

I like the idea of the Area 51 joke - my personal headcanon is they summon the mothership (which is metal) to smash into the opposing Pokémon.

Drakloak and Dragapult also get it, which makes even less sense - they're ghosts!

Adam Levine

Years
    I like the idea of the Area 51 joke - my personal headcanon is they summon the mothership (which is metal) to smash into the opposing Pokémon.

Drakloak and Dragapult also get it, which makes even less sense - they're ghosts!

I guess their "wings" refer to jet/plane wings, since they are based on fighter jets, and jets have steel wings.

On an unrelated note, Girafarig and Farigiraf are based on an animal well known for attacking other members of its species by headbutting, and Farigiraf's Violet dex entry even mentions it headbutting foes.

...They can't learn Headbutt. They can learn Zen Headbutt and Iron Head, but not Headbutt. I kinda wish they could learn Head Smash too.

Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2023
    I guess their "wings" refer to jet/plane wings, since they are based on fighter jets, and jets have steel wings.

On an unrelated note, Girafarig and Farigiraf are based on an animal well known for attacking other members of its species by headbutting, and Farigiraf's Violet dex entry even mentions it headbutting foes.

...They can't learn Headbutt. They can learn Zen Headbutt and Iron Head, but not Headbutt. I kinda wish they could learn Head Smash too.

I thought giraffes "neckbutted" rather than headbutted.

Skuntank can learn Flamethrower why? Is it a fart against a lit flame joke?

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Regarding Aerial Ace, in the original Japanese it's just "Swallow Return" named after a famous sword technique of the path (The swallow / aerial-ness of it is that the trajectory is supposed to look like a swallow's flight), so Diglett and Dugtrio are just doing fancy claw-work. If I had to guess the anime just added more flying into it because it makes for better theatrics.

Regarding Surf on some big rock types, being weak to water doesn't mean that you're unable to get wet at all. If that were the case, Rain would do damage. The same way that being weak to ground doesn't mean a Pokemon can't walk through mud / use mud-slap. They're just big Pokemon that can swim and carry you around, after you teach them.

If it helps, you might want to think of it like housecats - would generally prefer to avoid water, but will swim if needed.

And anything that happened / started in Gen I (and maybe Gen II) pretty much happened on its own world because Gen I Pokémon had a very different philosophy to move pools.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Regarding Surf on some big rock types, being weak to water doesn't mean that you're unable to get wet at all. If that were the case, Rain would do damage. The same way that being weak to ground doesn't mean a Pokemon can't walk through mud / use mud-slap. They're just big Pokemon that can swim and carry you around, after you teach them.

If it helps, you might want to think of it like housecats - would generally prefer to avoid water, but will swim if needed.

And anything that happened / started in Gen I (and maybe Gen II) pretty much happened on its own world because Gen I Pokémon had a very different philosophy to move pools.
    Fair. Points to the phrase "to sink like a rock", on the other hand. Seems very hard to stay afloat as a giant, slow-moving rock beast.

Notes Rhydon to be less dense than one might expect, however. Weighs 264.6 pounds (120 kilograms) at 6 feet, 3 inches (1.9 meters) tall. Somehow only gained 11 pounds from Rhyhorn, despite nearly doubling in height. Might explain why Rhydon can swim and not Rhyhorn. (Has nothing for Aggron, though. Weighs triple what Rhydon does with only a small increase in height.)

Another move: Rain Dance on Donphan. Mentions it because of its Scarlet Pokedex entry:
    Donphan is covered in tough hide, so even being hit by a car won't faze this Pokémon. However, it is extremely susceptible to rain.
    May not take damage from it. Still feels like a human summoning acid rain.

Back