• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

It is every citizen's responsibility to know politics.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Every citizen in a country should be well versed in the different views of their current and potential leaders, so that they can make well informed choices in elections when it's time.

Or is the point of having a democratic system with elected leaders that we shouldn't have to care for most of the time, and simply trust our representatives instead?

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
    An informed and freedom-minded voter is the crux of democracy. Unfortunately, that is not the case as voters are not informed or fall to demagoguery, pseudo-science, and lies. There are many issues with democracy, and one thing in particular spoils it: both voters are self-interested and short-sighted (part of tragedy of commons) and elected leaders are self-interested and short-sighted (short-sighted because its their literal job to be short-sighted instead of far-sighted). Neither voter nor representative are trustworthy.

There are some things to fix these issues like restricting voting rights to people with any sort of conflict of interest and only let people with a certain set of standards of knowledge vote. The former is impossible because you would need those same people to vote in order to take away their right to vote and also because, as a result democracy, egalitarianism is encouraged more and more. The latter is utopian because the standards would be set by the political party in power and laws would constantly place the standards for the benefit of the ruling class. It also falls to the earlier reason, egalitarianism as the result of democracy: voter rights would ultimately be restored again eventually (also politicians have an incentive to restore voting rights because then those people formerly without a vote would vote for them or their party). Government corruption is also inevitable. In short, nothing can fix democracy because these "fixes" can only delay the inevitable. Rather, we should pursue a different form of governance.

Regardless if the meaning of democracy is to have a well-informed voter or let the leaders take care of issues... democracy will always form an authoritarian state (Iron Law of Oligarchy) and defeats the purpose of it. Democracy as a government of freedom is contradictory, and as a government reliant on the informed and not self-interested voter and far-sighted later, an epic failure.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    Idk if it's exactly required, but it is rather helpful to have an informed population voting. Unfortunately in the US political education (or education in general really) is sub-par and so the majority of our population, myself included, doesn't know shit about anything.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    I believe it's the duty of every citizen to at least be informed enough to cast their vote.

Unfortunately that's easier said, than done. The media we consume does contain biases. So it is crucial that people be educated enough that they can wade through the noise that is bias, and make their own decision.

Years
    no because that would only encourage that subject to be more subjects of conversation and that just sounds awful

Years
    no because that would only encourage that subject to be more subjects of conversation and that just sounds awful

I generally try to avoid making comments like this, but honestly that is terrible reasoning. If you don't like political discussion, don't participate in it but that is no reason not to be informed. The more informed you are the more likely you are to make a good vote. Informed voters are good for the political system and wishing for political ignorance to avoid a topic of conversation you don't have to be apart of is just silly.

As for my actual answer to this question, I think this depends on whether or not you live in a society with mandatory voting or not to a degree. Here in Australia, voting is mandatory - you have to do it or you get fined. In a setting where you're legally required to cast a vote, I feel like you have a duty to inform yourself about who you're voting for otherwise you're going to end up casting a wasted vote or contributing to the Liberal Party's next win.

In societies where voting is not mandatory, like the US, I think this is less of the case. If you are not required to participate in politics there is no reason for you to be informed about it. I think here it's a case of voters have a responsibility to be politically informed and those who are not informed have a responsibility not to vote.

So basically my general belief is that only voters have the responsibility to be informed since they're the ones making the decision.

Elysieum

Requiescat en pace.
    Years
    I confess myself to be rather apathetic towards politics. I recognise the danger of this, that elected officials make very influential real-world decisions and every voter should take notice of it. But I can't seem to bring complex politics to the orbit of my natural interests. Where I live, we recently had our municipal elections and I based my vote on what I perceive to be good work. The province I live in has a great municipal infrastructure (relative to surrounding provinces), and so I voted to keep the party on for another term. That's really as far as my experience of local politics goes.

I am in a relationship with someone who is actively into all politics. He's always clued up on the news cycles and latest statements. That whole world is just uninteresting to me, I'm afraid.

Years
    Well I am not old enough to vote yet but I believe its the voter`s responsibility to know what they`re voting for and also for the government`s job to provide the right unbiased information which is unlikely and I feel the EU referendum debate was a great example of this. Alot of voters were ill-formed and information was twisted to suit each campaign viewpoint and that referendum was incredibly important. Whether or not it was the right decision is your opinion.
    If you don`t vote then why should you complain? Although in my school experience there was only one class ever that focused on politics which was just a run-through of the mainstream political parties.
    While yes politics can be boring as I doubt anyone tunes into watch an hour worths of MPs having banter in parliament. I think its because they`re mostly a bunch of old men tbh.

Gabri

m8
    Years
    It is, even if you don't like discussing the matter. Know at least enough to have an idea on your country's situation and if it coincides with your own views. Falling into extremes and the traps of dogma is way too easy if you are not informed, and those are destructive.

I hate talking politics, because such talks always end up in convoluted discussions about stuff I don't understand thoroughly and I usually need some time to gather my thoughts during discussions before stating my views and opinions (anxiety doesn't help on this either). No person I know offline knows my political leaning (leftie), not even my family, and I make a huge effort not to give my leanings away. But I do try to keep well informed enough to cast a conscious vote, and checking various sides and points of view of some problems and such.

The great problem with politics is simple: Human beings are garbage. Absolute bloody fuckwits, and they will use lesser informed or knowledgeable people to their own gain and to solidify a position of power, which will in turn have people not care because "they're all a bunch of bloody bastards", which will make them even more vulnerable to manipulation, and so on.

And of course the fact that politics is not part of the education system (not in my country at least) doesn't help at all. Which basically causes 45% (the latest election's absent voters rate) of the elegible voting population not to give a flying fuck.

Years
    Good, or at least decent, critical thinking skills are pretty important for voters to have. We don't necessarily need to know about how a political system works, how economics work, or science, or any of that. But if we have experts who do they can tell us about what this or that candidate or proposal is likely to do. Of course there is plenty of flimflam in politics so having a critical eye is, I think, the most important thing to have so you can find the strong and weak arguments.

Of course knowing about politics and economics and all that isn't bad either and I'm totally behind any efforts to educate people in those areas.

Years
    I generally try to avoid making comments like this, but honestly that is terrible reasoning. If you don't like political discussion, don't participate in it but that is no reason not to be informed. The more informed you are the more likely you are to make a good vote. Informed voters are good for the political system and wishing for political ignorance to avoid a topic of conversation you don't have to be apart of is just silly.

As for my actual answer to this question, I think this depends on whether or not you live in a society with mandatory voting or not to a degree. Here in Australia, voting is mandatory - you have to do it or you get fined. In a setting where you're legally required to cast a vote, I feel like you have a duty to inform yourself about who you're voting for otherwise you're going to end up casting a wasted vote or contributing to the Liberal Party's next win.

In societies where voting is not mandatory, like the US, I think this is less of the case. If you are not required to participate in politics there is no reason for you to be informed about it. I think here it's a case of voters have a responsibility to be politically informed and those who are not informed have a responsibility not to vote.

So basically my general belief is that only voters have the responsibility to be informed since they're the ones making the decision.

tl;dr but i was making a joke

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    While access to formal education about the relevant topics is a different story, and you can be as cynical as you want about the underbelly of the political process, the age of information means that everyone with an internet connection can access up to date and varied info that even those with a rudimentary understanding can learn to process. I think that if you can learn more about the way your country is run and how that affects you, you should. I consider it foolish to maintain apathy if you have other options.

I'm of the same opinion as gimmepie though - if you are forced to take part in the political process, you should take utmost effort to make sure you are contributing and not wasting your time/vote. If you're not, well, there's no such obligation but I sincerely hope you do make an effort to learn about who and what you're voting for before you do so.

Last edited:

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
    People should at least give enough shits to issues pertaining to not only their future but their country's as well. Also, first world citizens have the privilege of being able to vote, whereas there are people in other countries fighting to have their voices even heard, so to just waste such power or to improperly wield it – I find it a gross act of ignorance. I seriously do not like apathetic fence-sitters in politics; there are no places for fence-sitters. You either choose, or have your rights revoked and given to someone who wants to make a choice.

Years
    Joke.
    Round Table.
    ...mate.

I'm new forgive me

Anyway the reason I hate politics is because it brings out the worst in everybody and everywhere i go on the internet are people comparing one shitty thing to a political party saying stuff like "only a left/right winger would think like that"

I hate how lands are divided by national borders, much like territorial marking. On the right side of the border, children may starve to death. While on the left, scum who do nothing, have everything they need. It is such a non-issue for leaders because it does not affect our own citizens. I don't like only concerning myself with my own countries needs when the whole world should work together. We have everything we need, yet we only argue when our meal has been interrupted, while third world countries have nothing. It bothers me that we have borders and we only concern ourselves with those inside it

Further, even the people within our own territory fight amongst ourselves and cause needless havoc (political parties). I may not be American, but didn't Geroge Washington say something like "the last thing we should do is make political parties"?

It is so common for people without talent or intelligence to gain positions of power due to connections and bloodline, which defiance all logic to me.

So no, I don't really want much to do with politics because it is such a negative topic. I'd rather bring positive energy to other people, or say nothing at all. Even talking like this goes against everything I usually do on the internet

Pmurt Dlanod

i don't like pokemon
    Years
    Absolutely! It is beyond important to know politics. There's a reason for countless millennial sheep adoring Bernie Sanders; no one knows anything anymore. Of course, people say that conservatives and Donald Trump supporters tend to be uneducated, and that is true. However, an American education is becoming more and more like an indoctrination. How terrible. Liberals' beloved "egalitarianism," as others have said, is impossible. Societies never have been, and never will be, egalitarian. That is just ridiculous; stratification is natural and necessary, for what is a society without competition between individuals?

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    In Argentina, I remember young 20-somethings heatily debating politics and old ladies arguing about the starting XI of their national football team and I thought that it was a wonderful land. Voting was mandatory, btw.

I can understand people who honestly don't have it on themselves to care about day-to-day politics, but I think everybody should, at the very least, know how their political systems work because they will have an enormous influence in their lives, whether they realise it or not. Kids at school should be taught about it- not in a partisan way, but rather in a basic, "what is this position and how do you elect someone to fill it". And, most importantly, teaching people what can be done from those places and how it can affect their lives. Apathy comes when you think it's going to be all the same no matter who wins. You'll start caring a bit more when you understand that who is in power will greatly affect so many aspects in your life is not even funny.

Years
    Most citizens, at least in the West, "know" their political environment. For instance, which issues are "important" and party platforms, mostly from soundbites of information.

Politics often drive political perspectives of citizens, not the other way around. So, I would rather citizens be actually educated on the political process and philosophy in order to be a "participant" rather than have a surface level understanding in order to be a "voter".

Indirect participation only exists when representatives are driven by voters, not the other way around. Futhermore, voters need to be educated on political issues in a manner that is mindful of political history, philosophy, and critical analysis thereof in order to then move representatives rather than be moved by representatives.

The biggest issue is that most citizens do not know their own interests and often hold beliefs without understanding the ultimate reasons as to why they do - ideology. Citizens, thus, rarely agenda-set or frame issues through what they value, but develop surface-level or (at best) substantive understanding, but ultimately citizens are not consciously inputting their own values into a political system.

Years
    Most citizens, at least in the West, "know" their political environment. For instance, which issues are "important" and party platforms, mostly from soundbites of information.

Politics often drive political perspectives of citizens, not the other way around. So, I would rather citizens be actually educated on the political process and philosophy in order to be a "participant" rather than have a surface level understanding in order to be a "voter".

Indirect participation only exists when representatives are driven by voters, not the other way around. Futhermore, voters need to be educated on political issues in a manner that is mindful of political history, philosophy, and critical analysis thereof in order to then move representatives rather than be moved by representatives.

The biggest issue is that most citizens do not know their own interests and often hold beliefs without understanding the ultimate reasons as to why they do - ideology. Citizens, thus, rarely agenda-set or frame issues through what they value, but develop surface-level or (at best) substantive understanding, but ultimately citizens are not consciously inputting their own values into a political system.

Isn't that the way with all things? We don't know ourselves well enough to succeed in relationships, to pick a career that satisfies us, or even to do the things that truly make us happy. It seems quite obvious to me that ignorance is an essential part of the human condition and thus I am pessimistic that we could ever develop an educated, truly informed body of voting citizens.

Back