• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

'It is mankind's main purpose to reproduce in order to continue the human race'

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
  • How strongly do you agree or disagree with this statement and why?

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
  • It is a man's main purpose to reproduce in order to continue the human race if necessary.

The above I can agree with. The world is currently overpopulated so I hardly see reproduction as the main purpose for the male species. If the human race was dying out for example, then reproduction to promote survival would be of greater importance. As things stand right now though, not really.

Barrels

The Fresh Prince of Kanto
    Years
  • I disagree... strongly. Lemme explain why.

1) Biologically, successful species are those that survive1. And we've done that. We've definitely done that. Current estimates put the number of us ape-things at around 7 billion, which is gigantic. So, yeah, it stands to reason that if we want to continue our success as a species, we should keep on reproducing and reproducing, spreading to even more desolate corners of the Earth, flirting and fighting and foraging and forgetting each others' birthdays, just like every other human since the dawn of time. That's if we're using the biological definition of success.

2) But should we be? Because if we want to attain total biological success, we should be concentrating all our efforts on trying to make sure that every single human survives. Forever. (Yeah, it's a daft idea, but I'm thought experimenting. Just go with it.) And frankly that's not a good basis for a healthy society2. In addition, it's entirely possible to achieve that kind of biological success without making any kind of provision for quality of life: all 7 billion of us could be living in abject misery, but if we'd managed to stop anyone ever dying, we'd still be declared a triumphant success. (Which is kind of exactly like most definitions of hell, I've just realised. Eternal suffering. Nasty.) So perhaps we should only aim for biological success up to a point.

3) And here's the thing. We've already reached a pretty high point as a species. If three-quarters of the world's population decided right now that they were never going to reproduce, we'd still be overflowing with new humans in two years time3. Reproduction is no longer imperative: we're in no danger of becoming extinct if, say, fifty people get eaten by lions before getting a chance to reproduce. Our past success has given us the ability to choose our own purposes based on what makes us happy, without worrying first about the conservation of mankind.

4) Furthermore, our intelligence as a species opens up a whole truckload of other possibilities. If I have as many children as I can during my lifetime but someone else discovers a cure for a horrible disease and saves millions of lives... who's contributed more to our overall success? It's no longer so much a question of whether everyone should reproduce as whether reproducing is really the best way forward for mankind, now that we've got big brains and computers and clever people in laboratories and stuff.

5) tl;dr - if we're using the biological definition of success, conventional reproduction probably isn't a very efficient way to achieve it nowadays. And if we're not, well... you can pick your own purpose, and then decide which way you want to go about fulfilling it. Vive la humanity etc.

Shining Raichu

Years
  • I hardly see reproduction as the main purpose for the male species.

Whoops; this was slightly bad wording on my part. I should clarify that I meant "a man" in the "mankind" sense of the word, so it can refer to both men and women.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • Well, it was originally, but we're already overgrowing the planet. There's no need to worry about reproducing anymore.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • It's not really that the world is overpopulated.

It's just that the population is highly concentrated in certian area's.

Population controls are needed though because the people in highly concentrated usually refuse or are not able to move to a lesser populated area.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • Asinine. It is the main purpose of stupid creatures to reproduce. We are not stupid creatures. Our main purpose is whatever we want it to be.

Years
  • I would think of it in terms of Maslow's hierarchy of needs, sort of. It's one of the things the species might need, but it's one of the basic ones and it's not an issue right now so we're concentrating on higher things.

Tachikaze

九番隊 // Earth-Severing Wind
    Years
  • Originally, when we were nothing more than cave-dwelling hunter gathers with very minimal culture and language, yeah. In the modern age, as sophisticated creatures with language, culture, advanced technology, etc, not so much. It's more on the back burner. Still important in a cultural, make-a-family-sense, but not a focal point.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2012
    I disagree, 100%. It is a nice little self-fulfilling purpose, but what does it really mean? To ensure that man survives blahblah. Well.. I think we're not going anywhere for a while yet, whether everyone reproduces or not.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I also disagree with that given today's population and the problem's it's caused. Though there are still a lot of people who seem to think so...
    The main purpose of mankind right now imo should proably be to balance our needs with the resources we have now.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • Biologically defined, yes, the point of life is reproduction. And it's obviously important to reproduce; people can't just magically live forever. As Scarf said,
    Scarf said:
    It's one of the things the species might need, but it's one of the basic ones and it's not an issue right now so we're concentrating on higher things.
    this. Whatever way you look at it, people need to reproduce. Unless you intend to bring about the end of mankind there's no two ways about it. If a species stops reproducing, it dies, and we don't want to die obviously. It's an absolute necessity to reproduce. That doesn't mean that everyone should do it, but it's important that enough people do it to prevent population decline.

...but as population decline is certainly not an issue right now, it's not our top priority. We've got the ability and the need to move forward and that is much more important than just making more people but going nowhere. A balance needs to be struck between survival and further success, sustainability, etc. Overpopulation won't help us at all when we're apparently having trouble being a sustainable species as we are.

Shining Raichu

Years
  • What does it matter if the species dies out though? I understand why we each wouldn't want to die or wouldn't want our families or friends to die, but are we somehow patriotic toward our species? Why is it important to us that the species continue after we die? What is there to be gained from it?

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • What does it matter if the species dies out though? I understand why we each wouldn't want to die or wouldn't want our families or friends to die, but are we somehow patriotic toward our species? Why is it important to us that the species continue after we die? What is there to be gained from it?
    As much as I think each of us individually is more than our instincts, it's simple logic that those with a tendency to reproduce more are going to have more offspring to carry on that tendency. We're adapted to reproduce as much as possible and that's exactly what the bulk of us do.

It's our "genetic purpose," it's what we have adapted to do, but I think people are more than their genetics. Even if we tend to be good at that, we're more than just machines made to screw; we have higher thought processes and the ability to use them to pursue whatever end we want. I, myself, have the desire to reproduce, but it's not my primary goal in life by a longshot.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    It is for some societies and not others.

America is not overcrowded at all, there's no harm being done there if people are reproducing rapidly.
    Africa is reproducing at a ridiculously high rate when it cannot even sustain the people already existing.
    Japan is in desperate need of reproduction.

And so on so on. It's different depending where you are. They say the world has 7 billion people, but they aren't evenly distributed.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • So the meaning of life is sex?

Awfully crudely phrased, but in a way, yes, biologically anyway. As twocows just said though, "we're more than just machines made to screw; we have higher thought processes and the ability to use them to pursue whatever end we want". We're talking about the purpose of life here, not the meaning. I think there's a line between the two which what I just quoted illustrates well. The 'mechanical' part is the purpose. There's more to life than that.

Back