• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"It was cooler in the anime!"

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    Some of the stuff in the anime is much better seeming than it was in the game (or more interesting, at least), is there anything in the Pokemon anime you thought was much more interesting than what is shown in the games? I think Mega Evolution looks far more interesting in the anime than presented in X/Y/OR/AS...but maybe that's just a me thing.

pkmin3033

Battles, regardless of setting - Gym, Contest, etc - are much more interesting in the anime, but then that's mostly because of the dynamic: short of giving Pokemon a real-time battle system where you control the Pokemon rather than the trainer and can move about etc, of course the show will have the edge, as it depicts a more realistic scenario.

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years
    Some attacks such as Fire Spin look more powerful in the anime than they are in the games.

Contests look a lot better in the anime. I watched some of the episodes of the Advanced series before I played R/S/E and when I actually got to the contests in those games, I was disappointed that they don't look as exciting as they do in the anime.

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    Contests, definitely Contests. I know some people hated it, but I really loved how they took small unimportant feature from games and made it something big and important. Too bad it was the only time they dared to do that.

Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2017
    Contests definitely got some excellent artwork and combination show effects in the anime. I would love to see that return.

The Serena competitions could have done better if it was more like contests... and less like a talent show..

Jetfire

أربعة ملوك السماوية
    Years
    Whenever I think about the anime I get frustrated. How long must this 10 year old boy continue his journey??

The only time the anime was better than the game was during the first season. Now it doesn't even compare.

Lizardo

Public Enemy
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    The anime was never "better" than the games, because the two exist in entirely different mediums. The game can do some things the anime can't, the anime can do some things the games can't. For example, the anime's Gym Leaders are usually given more expanded characterizations and battle styles than the Gyms do.

Urup is a good case of that. He's a generic Gym Leader in the games, but the anime has actually set him up as Satoshi's toughest Gym challenge – giving him an actual battle strategy that takes advantage of his Pokémon's abilities, using him to force the first case of actual character development in Satoshi since DP, and giving him a Mega Yukinooh (why the games didn't do this, I'll never know). He's really the last, toughest challenge Satoshi must get past in order to qualify for the League; in the X/Y games, he's just another easily-dispatched Gym Leader.

Years
    The gems always seem cooler looking in the anime then they do in the games, though from what I've seen in Pokemon X, that may be changing in the upcoming pokemon games.

sure, it still can't compare all that much, but the point is that it's getting there.

The same goes for the attacks, I say give it time and it'll be on the same level.

Years
    To me, definitely Contests. They added so much more to them compared to what we had in the games, with DP making the anime Contests look especially beautiful.

Back