• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

It's not okay for a woman to hit a man

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I'm still amazed there are some articles here and there online with discussions in the comments about people actually defending domestic abuse towards men.

No man should a woman and no woman should hit a man. Why is that so hard to understand? Why does such a double standard exist?

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • It's not okay for anyone to hit anyone. Period. unless it's kinky

The double standard likely exists because the myth that women are always "victims" is perpetuated in society, while often times men are portrayed as "aggressors" - and people don't mind when people who are viewed as "victims" attack their "aggressors", since it's viewed as "justified". The truth is, it isn't, and victims and aggressors are defined by actions, not by a set of characteristics.

The reality is that regardless of any set of characteristics, you are defined by your actions, and you should suffer the consequences of your actions, not your characteristics. Honestly, women are highly protected in society, not victimized, and this sort of "protected" status gives them a two pronged advantage - not only can behaviour like what you described not only be defended but encouraged by some, but people will protect them regardless!

It's actually quite an unfortunate truth because I have friends who have been manipulated by this double standard:
    • My ex, we'll call him Larry, we're still good friends though. He used to attend an atheism group at a local university. He started to have problems when one chick started to claim he was "stalking" her. Well guess what, when you're my boyfriend I think I would know if he was "stalking" someone and, how about that, for all instances claimed outside of the atheism group, they didn't line up. If it weren't for me looking into that shit though, he could have been in some seriously deep water.
    • The charming time my sister slapped her boyfriend (a friend of mine) in public and still expected him to pay for the meal and drive her home. He did, since he felt like it was "wrong" to harm a girl. Even though she physically assaulted him in public.
    • My brother's first major girlfriend continually scammed him out of about 500-600$ every few months for "abortions", except she didn't actually have them. She wasn't even pregnant. She also assaulted my brother - at least my brother isn't caught up in "chivalry" and actually got her ass in the slammer.
    • lol the time that my blind best friend was scammed out of $5000 because some chick he had sex with once claimed her baby was his (she also did this to several other men). He seems to have pretty bad luck with women since he's also dated someone who verbally abused him frequently and neglected him so much he almost killed himself last year.
    • Let's talk about the times where people actually suggested that I claim that said blind guy raped me because he left our relationship for a dumb reason (we're sort of back together now but I don't think it's set in stone yet). Oh, and we can talk about how apparently being a douche on 3 occasions, because of something outside of the relationship, over the course of 20 months, is apparently enough to be "completely emotionally abusive and destructive" and "must be avoided". The latter was told by someone who is a social worker.

Yeah, for some reason there is this sort of immunity that people prescribe to women and it's really, really, really fucked up.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Gender equality works both ways. Abuse towards women cannot be tolerated, and neither should abuse towards men. The abuser and the abused aren't specifically one gender. Unless you're an MMA Fighter, it's not ok for anyone to beat up on anyone else.

And I wouldn't go so far to say women are a "protected" class. For every benefit afforded to women, say when it comes to custody rights, there are significant obstacles that hinder their success in the workplace and elsewhere to counter that benefit.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • It's okay to hit so long as you're prepared to be hit back in most cases. Hit being the operative word. And most people tend to not like being hit, so that would make it not alright to hit due to the fact that battery is against the law.

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • And I wouldn't go so far to say women are a "protected" class. For every benefit afforded to women, say when it comes to custody rights, there are significant obstacles that hinder their success in the workplace and elsewhere to counter that benefit.
    Really? Like what. The wage gap, which has been shown repeatedly time and time to be induced by poor measurement or even faulty statistics? Or what about that rape culture, except wait, not even RAINN buys into that shit - probably because rape rates have been decreasing.

Meanwhile we can talk about

What's kind of scary is that a lot of this shit is because people haven't studied it, almost like people believe these things don't exist.

Also, funny that you bring custody rights up, because thanks to the inequality regarding men being able to receive custody of their kids, my mother received extensive abuse from her mother, from which she still has psychological problems due to today. Meanwhile, my father, who had to raise my brother by himself for 8 years due to a tragic accident, was ridiculed and received no support whatsoever in raising him. Funny too, because even in another thread I was reading about how apparently it's okay to completely censor other people's opinions, in the linked case, men regarding abortion of their spouse's unborn child, even though it's still kind of their fucking child.

Sure, some women still face problems, but 90% of them are pretty minor or can be solved by just treating problems that lie underneath, which are the expectations that people should be like based on their gender.

I've been told my whole life about how supposedly oppressed women are, but strangely, me, along with most women I know, have seemed to dodge these issues. Honestly, if you ask me, going around and acting like women have it so bad, and continuing to perpetuate this idea through faulty statistics, questionable measuring procedures and the bold, repetitious nature of these claims, feeds into the ignorance of people, which may actually prevent women from actually venturing out more due to fear of how "oppressed" they'll be. It's far more common to simply not go into "male dominated fields" out of the belief there is an inability or fear of being harmed, than actually being rejected as a woman. In fact, women actually have an advantage in many of these industries.

Yeah, I'm sorry, I don't think the "I wanna wear spaghetti straps in school, OPPRESSHUN!" or "I'm going to tell an ambiguous story about how my professor told me I can't achieve my life goals without any context!" really cuts it for me.

Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Aug 2, 2016
    A lot of women in the west Have this Idea of entitlement, which I feel really feeds the fire. But to be honest, a lot of men do too.

lloebet

[color=#58FAD0][font=geo][u][i]Ancient[/i][/u][/fo
    Years
  • Daig I'm noticing you have a habit of derailing threads from the preordained course.
    Nice post tho.

In my opinion of this matter I have a pretty simple answer.
    If a man hits a woman, they can hit back.
    If a woman hits a man, they can hit back.

There really isn't any other reason they should need to hit the person unless it's illegal or kinky.

Years
  • Really? Like what. The wage gap, which has been shown repeatedly time and time to be induced by poor measurement or even faulty statistics? Or what about that rape culture, except wait, not even RAINN buys into that shit - probably because rape rates have been decreasing.

Meanwhile we can talk about

What's kind of scary is that a lot of this shit is because people haven't studied it, almost like people believe these things don't exist.

Also, funny that you bring custody rights up, because thanks to the inequality regarding men being able to receive custody of their kids, my mother received extensive abuse from her mother, from which she still has psychological problems due to today. Meanwhile, my father, who had to raise my brother by himself for 8 years due to a tragic accident, was ridiculed and received no support whatsoever in raising him. Funny too, because even in another thread I was reading about how apparently it's okay to completely censor other people's opinions, in the linked case, men regarding abortion of their spouse's unborn child, even though it's still kind of their fucking child.

Sure, some women still face problems, but 90% of them are pretty minor or can be solved by just treating problems that lie underneath, which are the expectations that people should be like based on their gender.

I've been told my whole life about how supposedly oppressed women are, but strangely, me, along with most women I know, have seemed to dodge these issues. Honestly, if you ask me, going around and acting like women have it so bad, and continuing to perpetuate this idea through faulty statistics, questionable measuring procedures and the bold, repetitious nature of these claims, feeds into the ignorance of people, which may actually prevent women from actually venturing out more due to fear of how "oppressed" they'll be. It's far more common to simply not go into "male dominated fields" out of the belief there is an inability or fear of being harmed, than actually being rejected as a woman. In fact, women actually have an advantage in many of these industries.

Yeah, I'm sorry, I don't think the "I wanna wear spaghetti straps in school, OPPRESSHUN!" or "I'm going to tell an ambiguous story about how my professor told me I can't achieve my life goals without any context!" really cuts it for me.

Omg this post.

Okay.

So first, your wage gap example is disingenuous. And I'm just going to repost one of your examples, because right in it there is evidence provided that there is a wage gap.
    http://social.dol.gov/blog/myth-busting-the-pay-gap/
    Did you actually read this link?

For your crass inclusion of sexual assault being used for some reason as an example of how women have it just as good if not better than men, let me pull a quote from one of the things you linked:
    One out of every six women and one out of every 33 men are victims of sexual assault
    Yes, it is awful that men are sexually assaulted and that is a problem. However, ONE IN SIX WOMEN IS RAPED IN THEIR LIFE, and of those one in six, 2/3's are raped subsequent times. Do you not see the great disparity between male and female rape rates? How can you assert that there is not more risk inherent to being female in this regard? Again, did you even read the links you posted? Regardless of what RAINN personally thinks (and RAINN is not a scholarly source, by the way), there are clear factors relating to gender relations at work here. Otherwise rates would be equivalent and not egregiously slanted.

What does it matter if rape rates are going down? Rape still happens at an egregious rate and is a societal problem. I don't understand your inclusion of this statistic. Also, different sources indicate different percentages of rape. I quickly found more than a couple sources that assert that sexual assault is actually on the rise.

@It is hard to convict female rapists: It's also extremely hard to convict male rapists. Out of every 100 rapes, 32 are reported to the police the majority of which assert the male is the aggressor. Of these, 7 lead to an arrest, and of these 2 lead to a conviction. 2 out of every 100 rapes are convicted. I personally can attest to this horrible process. Rapes are not taken seriously by the police if you don't fit a "pure victim" profile, and the victim often faces incredible blame and has their sex life put up on display. My rape never even went to trial despite having solid evidence of who had done it. So it sucks for both men and women.

Male circumcision is in no way equivalent to female circumcision. Just look up what each one is and this should be self evident. You completely take away a woman's ability to orgasm if she is circumcised.

I consider myself an egalitarian, and I find the assertion that one gender has it better than the other to be damaging to the gender equality movements at the least. It is harmful to society to turn this into a men over women or women over men issue when it is really an issue of both genders getting unfair treatment. Everyone is getting screwed, why do people on both sides have to make a case that one has it worse than the other? Why do people on both sides have to come up with reasons why the other doesn't have it that bad (invalidating the very real struggles both genders face) instead of just admitting that no one has it good? If someone is raped orally and someone is raped vaginally, do we go around acting like one was the victim of a greater crime than the other? No, we treat both as rape, and acknowledge both as horrible acts. Sexism cuts equally both ways in my opinion, just in different ways which obscures this fact to people.

On topic, female abusers get some leeway that male abusers do not because it is counter stereotypical for a female to be an abuser. It sucks for men, and isn't right, but I'm put at ease seeing more and more people acknowledging this double standard.

Years
  • To me, the fact that it's not ideal to hit a female only further proves why they are generally known as the more fair and gentle gender than the males. I'm not saying that I would hit a male if I were female, but males are usually more known for being uptight and aggressive than most females are. But I would still agree that neither gender should get physical on that.

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • Omg this post.

Okay.

So first, your wage gap example is disingenuous. And I'm just going to repost one of your examples, because right in it there is evidence provided that there is a wage gap.
    http://social.dol.gov/blog/myth-busting-the-pay-gap/
    Did you actually read this link?

Yes, I did, and perhaps its the fact that statistics do not agree on what the value is that reflects the true problem with the idea of a "wage gap".

Wage is not given out just based on your field. It's based on a myriad of things, including
    • The company you work for
    • Your seniority in the company
    • Your skillset
    • Your position/title
    • Your experience in the industry
    • Your relationship with other coworkers
    • Your performance
    • Your team's performance
    • (in some jobs) Your sales
    • Your wage in comparison to industry averages
    • Your tuition status (are you an apprentice/intern?)

All of these things must be accounted for when taking into consideration wage statistics. Unfortunately, they are not, and thus varying numbers appear. I've heard ranges from 69 cents to 108 cents to the dollar - there is absolutely no way you can argue that this particular problem is being measured genuinely. Some statistics include stay-at-home mothers as "employed", which will obviously adjust statistics. More often, the derived statistic fails to take into consideration at least several of the factors pointed out above, which is a far more innocent but still just as inaccurate mistake.

It's very easy to go and cry misogyny when you're failing to take into account every possibility.

For your crass inclusion of sexual assault being used for some reason as an example of how women have it just as good if not better than men, let me pull a quote from one of the things you linked:
    Clearly you don't understand what my point was in including it. It was that sexual assault statistics are often not portrayed accurately, not that "women have it as good as men". I thought it was pretty clear from my post that I believe that maybe both sexes have problems, but I guess that's what happens when you fail to see the forest within the trees.

Honestly, saying "[whatever] have it just as good as [something else]" is a dumb statement because there are a huge level of factors that make the experiences of men and women not equivalent. The attitude that somehow one experience is more worthy of attention needs to stop, and going around and continuing to propagate lies is going to make that problem worse.

Yes, it is awful that men are sexually assaulted and that is a problem. However, ONE IN SIX WOMEN IS RAPED IN THEIR LIFE, and of those one in six, 2/3's are raped subsequent times.
    Convenient that you don't have a source, because I can prove this wrong with simple mathematics.

First, our numbers:

US Population: 320 million. Source.
    Rape/Sexual Assault TOTAL in the United States in the year 2008: 200 thousand. Source.

Here is our assumptions.
    • Half of the US population is female.
    • All rape victims are female.
    • All the women raped in this year were only raped once, and only by one rapist.
    • The current population hasn't changed in 6 years (census.gov is being slow of this writing, this only increases the ratio)
    • The rate in rapes stays consistent.
    • Statutory rape is considered rape (so if an 18 year old is convicted of statutory rape by having sex with their 15 year old girlfriend, it still counts, even if she "consented")

This means that the ratio of raped women to non-raped women in this year, would be 200,000/160,000,000 which equals .125% of the population. Please note that this is the absolute highest this percentage could be.

In order for 1 in 6 women to be raped in their lifetimes, about 26,700,000 women would have to be raped in the period of an average lifespan, assuming that rape rates do not change. This would require that women, on average, live 133 years - about 50 years longer than they currently do.

Again, this value is inflated, due to the assumptions made above. For example, if we assume that 1/5th of reported rapes are male victims, that changes that age to 166 years.

The actual rate would be, assuming women live 80 years, a maximum of 1 in 10 women. Seems like a lot, until, again, you realize that this is the absolute maximum it can be. This value includes sexual assault and attempted rape. With the statistic actually provided, this is 85,1000 - which is actually closer to 1 in 24 women.

Still quite a bit, until you consider that based on the same documents, you have a 1 in 4 chance of being involved in an aggravated assault and about 1 in 7 of being a victim of robbery, regardless of sex.

The biggest argument against rape culture though, which is the idea that culture teaches women how to rape, is not the number of female victims, but rather the number of male perpetrators. Since people can be serial rapists, and many rapists are, it's important to measure the people who are actually doing the crime - since they're the group of people you supposedly have to "teach" not to rape.

The total percentage of rape/sexual assault offenders who were male was about 78%. Using the information on the table, it can be concluded that the number of offenders in the US in 2008 was about 142,000. This means that only 1 in 1126 men in the current population are rapists. Even if we claim that for each convicted man, there are 5 that aren't convicted, that still only means that 1 in 187 men are rapists. For a culture that supposedly is brooding rapists, it isn't very good at it.

This is all based on reported statistics, and takes into consideration the discrepancy in the FBI definition that makes it difficult for male victims to charge rape. It's a little frightening honestly through those few sentences that you basically completely brushed off male rape victims to claim something that isn't even true.

For someone who was so critical of my sources without even going through all of them, it's kind of silly that you go and outright claim some statistic you literally pulled out of your ass.

Do you not see the great disparity between male and female rape rates?
    No, because of the above, but it's also possible that such a disparity exists because of the discrepancy in the FBI definition.

How can you assert that there is not more risk inherent to being female in this regard?
    Well, when statistics are skewed so much that males cannot charge rape against their perpetrator unless they were penetrated, when women aren't born with genitals to penetrate with, it can make things seem that way.

Also, in many ways, it's more dangerous to be male. According to the document I used above (here for convenience), males are more frequently victims of Attempted/Threatened Violence, Robbery and Assault. Completed violence and pickpocketing are relatively even between the sexes. 78% of murder victims are male. I would say that all of these things are potentially extremely dangerous to one's well being.

Again, did you even read the links you posted? Regardless of what RAINN personally thinks (and RAINN is not a scholarly source, by the way), there are clear factors relating to gender relations at work here. Otherwise rates would be equivalent and not egregiously slanted.
    Again, you completely fail to address the discrepancy of the definition of rape by the FBI accounting for lower rape rates.

For the record, I did actually read all the sources, and I'm surprised that the discrepancies between them didn't strike you as well as the possibility that perhaps the wage gap is a hunk of bullshit.

What does it matter if rape rates are going down? [...] I don't understand your inclusion of this statistic.
    It actually is very important, it means that rape is slowly but surely becoming rarer and rarer in society. It means that society is becoming safer for people, especially women. You don't understand why I included it? Don't you want the world to be improving for women? Isn't that what you want? like seriously what the hell

And Human Rights Watch, just like RAINN, is not a scholarly organization. This is why I use FBI and BJS statistics, because those are actually the reported statistics and have minimal risk of having biased information. What was that about you not looking into your sources?

It is hard to convict female rapists: It's also extremely hard to convict male rapists.

Out of every 100 rapes, 32 are reported to the police the majority of which assert the male is the aggressor. Of these, 7 lead to an arrest, and of these 2 lead to a conviction. 2 out of every 100 rapes are convicted.
    How do you expect to prove something that is completely theoretical? You're basically pulling numbers out of your ass, again. I mean this, how to you measure unreported rape? They are called unreported for a reason. You can claim literally any number of unreported rapes and still have them hold the same level of validity, which is none.

Oh, by the way, that 2% statistic is also bullshit. Yes, it's tumblr, but it's well sourced and contains information from actual crime statistics. I'm assuming based on your own experiences it is much easier for you to believe, but realistically it doesn't make any sense. Even if you don't want to look into the tumblr post, claiming that only 2% of offenders gets convicted implies that there are 50 times as many rapists running free, which suggests a ridiculous 7,100,000 rapists in total - to put in comparison, that value is a fifth of the total number of people over age 65 in the US, regardless of gender.

I personally can attest to this horrible process. Rapes are not taken seriously by the police if you don't fit a "pure victim" profile, and the victim often faces incredible blame and has their sex life put up on display. My rape never even went to trial despite having solid evidence of who had done it. So it sucks for both men and women.

So you have personal experience of something that fell through the cracks. Nobody said the world was perfect. Again, you completely brushed off male victims who are also shoved through the cracks as well, which is frankly disturbing considering your own experience. These sorts of things depend on the people involved with reviewing the case, the evidence, and other factors. I cannot claim innocence or guilt until I have observed all of the evidence, however, it could be possible that your evidence was in your opinion, compelling, but in another's it was not. It could also be that what you considered rape was not legally considered rape, which is another possibility, because of the frequent misinformation spread across the internet.

It's understandable that you are riled up by your experiences but your personal experiences do not define the world - just how like I can't go and claim that the things that I faced in the world represent what everyone else faces, your experiences do not define what the world faces. Statistics show that genders are more egalitarian than often reported. It is possible that the problems you encountered were due to a variety of factors - for example, these problems tend to be far worse in impoverished areas, or areas within closed communities.

Unfortunately, your own personal experiences do not excuse you from making completely made up numbers in your defense with no sources. That is fear mongering.

Male circumcision is in no way equivalent to female circumcision. Just look up what each one is and this should be self evident. You completely take away a woman's ability to orgasm if she is circumcised.

That's like saying it's okay to rip off the skin on someone's leg against their will because cutting off their leg would be more debilitating.

I consider myself an egalitarian, and I find the assertion that one gender has it better than the other to be damaging to the gender equality movements at the least. It is harmful to society to turn this into a men over women or women over men issue when it is really an issue of both genders getting unfair treatment. Everyone is getting screwed, why do people on both sides have to make a case that one has it worse than the other? Why do people on both sides have to come up with reasons why the other doesn't have it that bad (invalidating the very real struggles both genders face) instead of just admitting that no one has it good? If someone is raped orally and someone is raped vaginally, do we go around acting like one was the victim of a greater crime than the other? No, we treat both as rape, and acknowledge both as horrible acts. Sexism cuts equally both ways in my opinion, just in different ways which obscures this fact to people.
    What's unfortunate here was that this was the entire point of my post.

Ultimately, sexism affects both sexes and going around and claiming that one is somehow more deserving of "fixing" than the other is wrong, because the reality is that both sexes face many issues. However, it is socially acceptable to address women's issues due to the fact that they are traditionally considered a minority. This is what ends up giving women a protected status in society - because they are viewed as victims of an unfair world, their issues are made more vocal, more in your face, more placed into the public's mind, simply because of their sex. People bury and have attempted on multiple occasions to erase the problems that men face. If one truly cares about equality, it's being able to throw away this attitude that it's okay to go around and stir up bullshit with one group of people to perpetuate the attitude that somehow they're more important than another group of people.

As a final note...

While not you in particular, I do find it somewhat peculiar that some people who are in blind agreement with your own personal experiences also have decried constantly, to the point of attempts at full erasure, of my own experiences, which happened to represent the opposite of their expectation. It tells me that unfortunately I think some people solely use your own experience because it supports their idea of how the world is instead of actually trying to get a more open-minded perspective, which is frankly disturbing and honestly dehumanizing.

I think a lot of people forget that their own experience is just one dot on how statistics work. The macro world of trends and statistics and the micro world of personal experiences are such different worlds. Trying to apply the macro onto every little micro world is like trying to claim that a single cell from your body is like the average of all the cells in your body. I find it disturbing this trend in continuing to treat statistics in this fashion because statistics have very little to do with personal experiences.

Last edited:

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    Much of my views have already been covered by other people, so I won't betoo redundant. That being said if any minority/demographic with less rights wants to be an equal, they need to stop assuming greater rights than the one they are trying to equal. That includes the right(or lack of) to engage in violence. Nobody should hit anybody else. The idea that a man shouldn't hit a woman stems from the idea that men are bigger, stronger, etc. than women. But I've seen plenty of instance where it is a much bigger/stronger woman abusing a much smaller/weaker man. Are they simply supposed to just let it happen? Either way, for the man, it's a lose/lose situation. You fight her back, you're a disgusting woman beater. You let her beat you up, you're a weak ass sissy who got beat up by a woman.

As an example to this stigma by society I'll tell you about an episode of cops I've seen: Officers respond to a vehicle that is obsessively honking its horn. The woman is bleeding from the mouth and says that her boyfriend hit her, and that he's walking off. They apprehend him without incident and question him about what happened. He admits to what he did, but also says that she attacked him first and he has the injuries(deep, bloody scratch marks, scrapes on his face) to prove it and that this is the first time he has ever even hit her while she has abused him on multiple occasions. They go back and question his girlfriend and she admits to everything he said as being true--including the part where she began the violence. What do the cops do? They go back to the boyfriend "you're going to jail you disgusting asshole you're clearly a lot stronger than her blahblahblah I'm disregarding the fact that you have worse injuries than she does and that she hit you first and that she even said all you did was try to push her away from you so you could stop the abuse." The only disgusting thing I saw there was the butchery of any sort of "justice" that might have been had that day.

But in a lot of cases, it's not entirely the individuals faults. In a case like men vs women, the ideas are a product of society. Men are seen as the ones who go out, get a job, make the money, and otherwise provide for the family whereas women as seen are the homemakers who raise children, clean the house, cook the food etc. I can't say that those two positions in life are exactly equal, and until the barrier between them is broken down at large, things like equality will always be an issue. It applies to various other groups as well, like how the LGBT community has this need to "come out" of the metaphorical closet.

Why? Because they're "different" so they have to go tell everyone like they have some kind of plague and everyone should keep away from them. When was the last time a straight person went around to their friends and said "Hey guys... I have something important to tell to you. I... I like <insert opposite gender here>." It seems pretty silly doesn't it? And that's wherein the problem lies. It seems "silly" because heterosexuality is the majority and is thus perceived as "normal." But is there anything that makes it inherently more "normal" than any other sexuality? And that's not taking normal by its technical definition but rather by the idea that if something is abnormal its not something that would naturally be true. Even if we go by the former technical definition and assume that normal is defined as the most common, is there anything that makes normal better than "abnormal?" To reapply this to the topic at hand, its "normal" for a woman to stay home and tend to the house/children and its "normal" for the man to get a job and provide for the family. A man who stays home with the children is a lazy bastard who needs to get a job and get his head on straight. A women who gets a job and provides for her family is some miraculous wonder woman whose love for her children is so great that she's willing to put everything on the line for them.

It's still mutilation of the body that you otherwise had no choice to make because in most cases you're an infant. While it doesn't prevent a man from having an orgasm, foreskin enhances an orgasm for various reasons.

How do you expect to prove something that is completely theoretical? You're basically pulling numbers out of your ass, again. I mean this, how to you measure unreported rape? They are called unreported for a reason. You can claim literally any number of unreported rapes and still have them hold the same level of validity, which is none.

Unfortunately, your own personal experiences do not excuse you from making completely made up numbers in your defense with no sources. That is fear mongering.

He had sources, the ones YOU posted. I'd also like to explain that typically when they say "unreported" it means they were unreported in a time frame that anything could be done about it. Sure, they could have simply made it up, but if that's the excuse you're gunning for, it can be applied to virtually anything and does not make a very strong argument at all.

Also, some of your math makes no sense. If 1 in 6 women are raped in their lifetime, that has absolutely nothing to do with the number of women. It say in THEIR life time. Not in some arbitrary number that you've drawn up as the general life span for women.

Oh, and to poke another hole in your argument, the link you posted where it says 89% of murder victims are male is something that you misread. RATHER, it says 89% of the OFFENDERS are male. And that's only for cases in which the gender of the offender is known.

IN FACT, look at this nifty chart here:
    11murderbyrelate.gif

The relationship is that of victim to the offender.

If we go on the assumption that other relatives are 50% female and 50% male, that makes it out to be the number of victims that were female is 1024 compared to the number of victims that are male which is 725.

Also, look at the other one:
    The rate of girlfriend to boyfriend is MUCH higher. You seem to have a habit of citing links that say the exact opposite of what you're saying. I also think is funny that you can decry someone else's source as not being scholarly and prone to bias(even though they have their sources cited) but you can pull a page off a social media website and say its fine.

Last edited:

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • He had sources, the ones YOU posted. I'd also like to explain that typically when they say "unreported" it means they were unreported in a time frame that anything could be done about it.

Where, because I'm not seeing the 1 in 6 anywhere (RAINN claims that male victims are 1 in 6 but I quoted RAINN on their opinion of Rape Culture, not for any statistic), or, especially, the "2% never get convicted".

And even then, it makes far more sense to just quote the same source again so that it's more coherent to third party readers so that they understand where this information is derived besides the vague and honestly difficult-to-use "well ITS IN YOUR SOURCES".

Sure, they could have simply made it up, but if that's the excuse you're gunning for, it can be applied to virtually anything and does not make a very strong argument at all.
    wat

No, you can't, because in most debates, if you're going to claim a value, you better have something to back it up. I cited all of my statistics, including calculated statistics, from FBI and census statistics. If you don't have any sources there is no way of proving whether or not what you're saying even holds any water - which is a completely valid criticism of an opponent. It's far harder to claim "someone is making shit up" if they actually show where they are getting their information from and are transparent in their calculation methods.

Also, some of your math makes no sense. If 1 in 6 women are raped in their lifetime, that has absolutely nothing to do with the number of women. It say in THEIR life time. Not in some arbitrary number that you've drawn up as the general life span for women.
    The math makes total sense.

All it is, is a simple rate of change calculation. Again, the assumption that the rate of change of rape counts is assumed to stay steady at the 2008 rate (it has actually been decreasing). The calculation retrieves the minimum average age of women in order for the 1 in 6 statistic to be true with that specific rate.

If the rate is steady, each year, that amount of rapes will be added on every year. This means that it will keep rising, but people die and are replaced by their children, so the actual percentage of the population that is a victim changes. So, to simplify the calculation, we take the base population of women in the United States (160,000,000) and see how long, at a rate of 200,000 rapes per year, that it reaches a 6th of that value, about 27,000,000.

27,000,000 divided by 200,000 is 137. This is the minimum average age of women in order for this claim to be true, with the current statistics. Due to the assumptions made, the actual value would be larger. Again, the actual rate is more like 1 in 24, because the 200,000 also includes sexual assault and attempted rape.

Unlike the 1 in 6 statistic however you can at least observe how such a value is calculated and the logic behind it. If you can explain to me how they measured the 1 in 6 statistic, I would be willing to write a comparison; however, I have yet to see one - it honestly feels very hokey and suspicious.

Oh, and to poke another hole in your argument, the link you posted where it says 89% of murder victims are male is something that you misread. RATHER, it says 89% of the OFFENDERS are male. And that's only for cases in which the gender of the offender is known.
    Thank you for the correction, I probably got mixed up because of dyslexia. However, the statistic is still very high according to this chart, found very easily on the side of my source - .the actual percentage is still 78% which is an overwhelming majority.

If we go on the assumption that other relatives are 50% female and 50% male, that makes it out to be the number of victims that were female is 1024 compared to the number of victims that are male which is 725.
    However, they are not, and if you took a moment to click on the side to get victim statistics charts you would know that it's actually 78%, as stated above.

The rate of girlfriend to boyfriend is MUCH higher. You seem to have a habit of citing links that say the exact opposite of what you're saying. I also think is funny that you can decry someone else's source as not being scholarly and prone to bias(even though they have their sources cited) but you can pull a page off a social media website and say its fine.
    You're also looking at only 635 of the murder cases out of over 12,000. That's 5% of the cases. It's kind of funny that you make sweeping generalizations of people based on 5% of the cases. This isn't counting in the fact that 7,069 of cases are done by complete strangers or unknown individuals, and 2,700 more are killed by an acquaintance.

Your inability to understand the mathematics despite laying them out clearly for you does not make you right. I advise that you study statistical interpretation somewhat, and honestly, I don't mean this as an offence - most people don't understand how to interpret statistics and create claims such as your own with no backing other than "I don't get it".

While Magic may be fiery because of their own personal experiences, you are just being intellectually dishonest.

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    Where, because I'm not seeing the 1 in 6 anywhere (RAINN claims that male victims are 1 in 6 but I quoted RAINN on their opinion of Rape Culture, not for any statistic), or, especially, the "2% never get convicted".

And even then, it makes far more sense to just quote the same source again so that it's more coherent to third party readers so that they understand where this information is derived besides the vague and honestly difficult-to-use "well ITS IN YOUR SOURCES".

Maybe it would make it more clear, but they already indicated they got the information from your sources. Using a logical you can assume that the source their speaking of is the one that covers the topic they are making claims about.

wat

No, you can't, because in most debates, if you're going to claim a value, you better have something to back it up. I cited all of my statistics, including calculated statistics, from FBI and census statistics. If you don't have any sources there is no way of proving whether or not what you're saying even holds any water - which is a completely valid criticism of an opponent. It's far harder to claim "someone is making shit up" if they actually show where they are getting their information from and are transparent in their calculation methods.
    And he had sources, although he not provide links to them, he used the ones that you provided.

Rape Satistics: https://www.rainn.org/get-information/statistics/sexual-assault-victims

Which then even goes onto further site where they got their information from. Somewhere along the line you're essentially calling someone a liar. Be it the poster, the source, or the sources sources. And what basis do you have to make a claim like that other than the fact that you disagree with it?

The math makes total sense.

All it is, is a simple rate of change calculation. Again, the assumption that the rate of change of rape counts is assumed to stay steady at the 2008 rate (it has actually been decreasing). The calculation retrieves the minimum average age of women in order for the 1 in 6 statistic to be true with that specific rate.

If the rate is steady, each year, that amount of rapes will be added on every year. This means that it will keep rising, but people die and are replaced by their children, so the actual percentage of the population that is a victim changes. So, to simplify the calculation, we take the base population of women in the United States (160,000,000) and see how long, at a rate of 200,000 rapes per year, that it reaches a 6th of that value, about 27,000,000.

27,000,000 divided by 200,000 is 137. This is the minimum average age of women in order for this claim to be true, with the current statistics. Due to the assumptions made, the actual value would be larger. Again, the actual rate is more like 1 in 24, because the 200,000 also includes sexual assault and attempted rape.

Unlike the 1 in 6 statistic however you can at least observe how such a value is calculated and the logic behind it. If you can explain to me how they measured the 1 in 6 statistic, I would be willing to write a comparison; however, I have yet to see one - it honestly feels very hokey and suspicious.

I don't disagree with you that the numbers regarding this statistic are very skewed for a number of different reasons: the definition of rape, unreported rapes, what they need to collect the data and count is as true(perhaps a conviction or actually going to trial) among other things.

Based on what you've messaged me I can say that while you're math is sound, the assumptions you've made to reach that for "simplicity's" sake skew the data far too greatly. Not to mention, when these figures were calculated, they were typically calculated for one year and one year only.

Thank you for the correction, I probably got mixed up because of dyslexia. However, the statistic is still very high according to this chart, found very easily on the side of my source - .the actual percentage is still 78% which is an overwhelming majority.

However, they are not, and if you took a moment to click on the side to get victim statistics charts you would know that it's actually 78%, as stated above.

You're also looking at only 635 of the murder cases out of over 12,000. That's 5% of the cases. It's kind of funny that you make sweeping generalizations of people based on 5% of the cases. This isn't counting in the fact that 7,069 of cases are done by complete strangers or unknown individuals, and 2,700 more are killed by an acquaintance.

While Magic may be fiery because of their own personal experiences, you are just being intellectually dishonest.

I apologize if I was hasty in my statements and thus provided inaccurate or misleading information. I was merely trying to get the rest of my response out before you made a reply. It was arguably not the best method. My "intellectual dishonesty" as you coined it was more of "intellectual laziness." I do apologize and I will attempt to be fastidious in my future replies.

To address your math, which you explained here:
    Spoiler:

No, I get it--and you're math is sound, but the assumptions you've made skew the data far too greatly. The population isn't an even 50% for either gender. The rate of change isn't steady and if you're going to calculate it over time, you're going to have to compensate for it by understanding that the rate of change is not a constant thing. The number of women changes every year, as does the number of women raped each year.

I'd also like to point out that when the 1/6th statistic was calculated for a single year and based off a sample population and that calculation in and of itself could have many issues.

Last edited:

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • Which then even goes onto further site where they got their information from. Somewhere along the line you're essentially calling someone a liar. Be it the poster, the source, or the sources sources. And what basis do you have to make a claim like that other than the fact that you disagree with it?
    This is not a true statement. Statistics represent trends in behaviour between various variables. They do not reflect individual experiences. Essentially you cannot apply the properties of the entire general population on a single individual and expect it to 100% correlate. This is a very common misconception in statistics and is often done completely unawares, and leads to bigoted thinking.

In fact, this is the greatest flaw of modern day activism movements, which I have personally encountered repeatedly. The existence of outliers should not be a threat to your observations, but you should fit your statistics to the observations, not the other way around - if it so happens that it turns out that women are not victims of sexual misconduct as frequently as previously thought, then it should be reported as such, instead of having the experiences of women that do correlate with your activism to take special holding. Silencing experiences that you disagree with cause a biased view that does not truly promote equality, and will eventually divide groups of people based on how they should approach their inequalities. Perhaps the worst example of this is autism activism (it is so bad that I have repeatedly had my diagnosis erased over the discussion of debate strategies), but I see it also in feminism, LGBT and disability activism.

As such, I never said anyone was lying, I simply said their information was incorrect. The person who provided that information may be lying though, or they may have simply measured it poorly. Because of the lack of transparency on the calculation of these numbers, the information is not valid in a scholarly sense and may be considered intellectually dishonest if the person reporting these statistics starts to obscure how such information was derived upon questioning.

Most of your other comments were addressed in private, but I do believe that this point is probably better in this thread.

Years

• ITT: "My shoddily-obtained statistics are better than yours"

My bad, gender equality in the United States is obviously a liberal communist lie because some editorial and opinion pieces from foreign newspapers say they are.

Livewire said:
    And I wouldn't go so far to say women are a "protected" class. For every benefit afforded to women, say when it comes to custody rights, there are significant obstacles that hinder their success in the workplace and elsewhere to counter that benefit.

Not sure what your problem with this way, acknowledges rights afforded to a person based on preconceptions about their gender but also states there are still inequalities, regardless of gender. It's a rather egalitarian statement. If they were truly a protected class, then:

Really? Like what.

Maybe the lack of women elected to political office across the country despite making up a majority (by however slim of a margin) of the 320 or so million and being preferred to male candidates in some instances. Maybe the fact that at our current pace, it would take half a millennium for equal representation in houses of government across the country.

You want to mention any of these, while you're at it?

Here
    More
    More
    See also

Maybe it's the fact the United States is 98th worldwide when it comes to percentage of women in legislature, while we were 59th back in the barbarous late 1990's. Doesn't exactly look like gender parity to me, so I would do yourself a favor and not write-off gender disparity because you don't seem to think it's an actual problem - "I don't see any discrimination, so it's can't be that much of a problem!" Gender disparity works both ways, not just for women and not just simply for men. Both sexes have unique advantages and disadvantages afforded to them simply because of their gender - women tend to get the edge in custody battles and judges are very sympathetic to them, sometimes not for the better. More men tend to be CEO's, like 488 of the Forbes Fortune 500 are, and women CEO's are more likely to get fired, despite only making up 3% of new CEO positions.

So let's admit that each and every one of us can face challenges in the workplace, in elected office, in the eyes of the law, etc, because of our gender, or skin color, or sexual orientation, or whatever. But gender parity won't ever happen if we're too concerned with flinging statistics in each others faces trying to prove who's disenfranchised the most.

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    This is not a true statement. Statistics represent trends in behaviour between various variables. They do not reflect individual experiences. Essentially you cannot apply the properties of the entire general population on a single individual and expect it to 100% correlate. This is a very common misconception in statistics and is often done completely unawares, and leads to bigoted thinking.

In fact, this is the greatest flaw of modern day activism movements, which I have personally encountered repeatedly. The existence of outliers should not be a threat to your observations, but you should fit your statistics to the observations, not the other way around - if it so happens that it turns out that women are not victims of sexual misconduct as frequently as previously thought, then it should be reported as such, instead of having the experiences of women that do correlate with your activism to take special holding. Silencing experiences that you disagree with cause a biased view that does not truly promote equality, and will eventually divide groups of people based on how they should approach their inequalities. Perhaps the worst example of this is autism activism (it is so bad that I have repeatedly had my diagnosis erased over the discussion of debate strategies), but I see it also in feminism, LGBT and disability activism.

As such, I never said anyone was lying, I simply said their information was incorrect. The person who provided that information may be lying though, or they may have simply measured it poorly. Because of the lack of transparency on the calculation of these numbers, the information is not valid in a scholarly sense and may be considered intellectually dishonest if the person reporting these statistics starts to obscure how such information was derived upon questioning.

Most of your other comments were addressed in private, but I do believe that this point is probably better in this thread.

Nice straw man argument. I never once said that statistics apply to individual experiences or vice versa. All I've said was that you are merely claiming that the sources other people provided aren't sufficient because you don't agree with them. You have no real reason to say the sources provided against you are invalid--they are going to hold just as much credit as the ones that you've provided.You keep saying their invalid, invalid, invalid blah blah blah but where is your actual I don't know.... proof? You argue that you've used math, but your math contains glaring errors that greatly skew the results in your favor.

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • ITT: "My shoddily-obtained statistics are better than yours"

My bad, gender equality in the United States is obviously a liberal communist lie because some editorial and opinion pieces from foreign newspapers say they are.
    And yet you fail to even provide anything to the table.

Also, "shoddily-obtained" apparently entails the FBI, census information and the Bureau of Justice Statistics. If this is a criticism of the 1 in 24 or whatever, as stated to Anarchist, this is not a statistic I directly use to try to prove anything - all it is is an attempt to fact-check the 1 in 6 statistic by performing a set of calculations. These calculations conclude that this statistic is likely incorrect.

Also, really, "liberal communist lie"? I'm liberal, you leek. I have voted entirely Democratic, bar one individual in one election. But way to go, to show that you basically believe that all the people you disagree with are those naughty conservatives. See kids, this is why you don't make assumptions about people on the internet, because when you're wrong, it's pretty embarrassing.

Not sure what your problem with this way, acknowledges rights afforded to a person based on preconceptions about their gender but also states there are still inequalities, regardless of gender.
    It is okay to state out inequalities, it is not okay to make shit up to claim that inequalities exist - and this is what I have been criticizing since my first post in this thread. Repeatedly I have stated that inequalities do exist in both sides and that the best way to address gender inequality is to shove this bullshit out the window that somehow male problems are not as important as female ones, because they originate from the same problem anyhow.

It's a rather egalitarian statement.
    You are claiming that women are not on the same social class as men and you have claims for them, it is the exact opposite of an egalitarian statement.

Before I go through your evidence to why women are protected, I am going to point out something - protected does not equate to equal or not facing any issues. The dynamic is more like how people treat physically disabled individuals - it is considered extremely taboo to show external hatred towards disabled people, but that doesn't mean that problems don't go through the cracks. Most people try to help or be nice to disabled people and physically harming one would result in many people getting very angry. The same can be said for women, although the issues are far less extreme.

I explain how women are protected here, which is not addressed by your statements at all.

However, it is socially acceptable to address women's issues due to the fact that they are traditionally considered a minority. This is what ends up giving women a protected status in society - because they are viewed as victims of an unfair world, their issues are made more vocal, more in your face, more placed into the public's mind, simply because of their sex. People bury and have attempted on multiple occasions to erase the problems that men face. If one truly cares about equality, it's being able to throw away this attitude that it's okay to go around and stir up bullshit with one group of people to perpetuate the attitude that somehow they're more important than another group of people.

My point appears to be entirely missed - it is simply that because women are recognized as a minority, people want to protect them, which leads to their issues being labeled more important than those of the opposite sex. This is a problem because this is not true equality - the moment that you tell someone to "shut up" is the moment that you start being a bigot, it's the moment when you show that you only care about a group of people instead of everyone.

It appears you are confusing "protected" with "privileged". Women face problems in society, however the issues that they face are exaggerated, as shown by dissecting some statistic provided.

Maybe the lack of women elected to political office across the country despite making up a majority (by however slim of a margin) of the 320 or so million and being preferred to male candidates in some instances. Maybe the fact that at our current pace, it would take half a millennium for equal representation in houses of government across the country.

Maybe it's the fact the United States is 98th worldwide when it comes to percentage of women in legislature, while we were 59th back in the barbarous late 1990's.
    This is true, except this does not address how many women are actually engaging in political science to begin with. Many women don't even think they're qualified to run and don't engage at all. As such, most people on ballots are male to begin with.

It is not the responsibility of society to take the fall for individuals refusing to run for political positions. Investigating their reasons may improve numbers however.

While it is entirely possible that a male dominated congress is intimating for many women, it can also be true that the reason why this is, is because of the constant pressure of being told that men will sexually harass/molest/whatever you, being told that most men will not respect your opinion, that men think you're stupid, ect.

Admittedly though a lot of congressmen are pretty arrogant old and honestly pretty dumb men, but they also only represent a very small percentage of society in general. It's just a pity that they have such a large role in society. At least most people agree with me though.

For someone who criticized me for using "shoddily-obtained sources", you're using two non-scholarly sources, one of which is an opinion magazine. In addition, "Center of Women and Politics", while possibly academic, clearly has listed in its title a possible political bias towards women within politics. Anyways, you're not really proving anything here besides infodumping because I never even brought up politics, never claimed there was not a disparity between genders in some parts of society repeatedly and I've pointed out that I do agree there's a disparity in gender in politics, although it may be influenced by forces that you may not be aware of, as I suggested above.

Doesn't exactly look like gender parity to me, so I would do yourself a favor and not write-off gender disparity because you don't seem to think it's an actual problem - "I don't see any discrimination, so it's can't be that much of a problem!" Gender disparity works both ways, not just for women and not just simply for men.
    Here you go again, saying that I never recognized issues in the female gender. You're not really convincing me that you even read through my posts. I know they're long but at least try.

Anyways, as I pointed out earlier, I have already stated that the genders are not equal multiple times, so what are you trying to prove? My posts are simply about intellectual honesty and calling out bad statistics. That doesn't mean that problems cannot exist elsewhere.

Both sexes have unique advantages and disadvantages afforded to them simply because of their gender - women tend to get the edge in custody battles and judges are very sympathetic to them, sometimes not for the better.
    What edge to males get in custody battles? You only list the edge that females have.

First off, because women make such a small percentage of CEOs in the first place, it is far more likely for them to have a higher firing rate. If you have 3 women and 97 men, and fire one of each, the firing rate of women would be 33%, while the firing rate of men would be about 1%.

Second, it is entirely possible that the reason why women are not the CEO are because of a multitude of reasons:
    • She did not have the credentials. Due to the fact that women are still picking up in the work force in terms of quantity, women are usually younger and thus less experienced than male counterparts. This difference will eventually peter out over time.
    • The options available for potential CEO candidates did not include a woman.
    • A man was a better candidate for the CEO than the woman candidate was (seniority, skillset, experience, ect).
    • The CEO was appointed by the previous CEO based on familiarity or bloodline.

All of these reasons must be proven incorrect before a claim of misogyny can be made.

Third, while the CEOs of Fortune 500 companies do make a ton of money, they are also an extremely small part of the workforce. The workforce in the United States consists of 127 million women. The earnings of a fortunate few do not reflect anything about the average woman's (or anyone's, really) experience in regards to their careers, because they are such a tiny drop of the entire population of working adults.

On the same site, it is also shown that about 57% of eligible women are part of the workforce, in comparison to men's 69%. It is likely the difference can be mainly attributed to the higher number of stay-at-home mothers. Women also have a slightly lower unemployment rate than men.

Also, on that site, it's important to note that the actual dry statistic (before accommodating for various factors such as experience, trade, part time/full time ect. ) for the wage difference between women and men is 84%. In addition, it notes that the industries with the highest employed percent of female employees are Education and Health Services industry, Wholesale and Retail Trade Industry, Wholesale and Retail Trade Industry, Professional and Business Services industry, and Leisure and Hospitality industry. It is likely that at least some of that gap is because of the choices that women make in their careers, not simply that they are being paid less.

This information is far more relevant to most women in the workforce, and is mainly positive.

Having 50% women and 50% men is not equality, it is making the proportions of men and women the same. Equality is appointing the individual based on their skill, not their sex. By suggesting that women should be closer to 50% is essentially suggesting that women should be judged on the fact that they're women, which is the exact opposite of equality.

Now I know that you are going to attempt to claim that my experience is not important just like others have done in the past, but let's take a walk through the micro world instead of the macro world of statistics. In my personal experiences in IT, I have found that some preferential treatment exists with women in the industry, namely because we're uncommon and the industry gets a terrible rep for not having "enough women". But why aren't there enough women? The reality is that there are very few women who even engage in IT in the first place.

In colleges, only about 20% of IT majors are female in the first place. So you're already starting with a hiring population of about 1 in 5 people being women. So it's not surprising to see these numbers reflected in actual hiring numbers. Why do women not engage in technology classes? It's could be because of past discouragement, although people truly dedicated in their craft will move past such discouragement. Instead, it's likely that the flame was extinguished before it could grow to an interest, since within many families, parents encourage their daughters to do otherwise - compounded with the general nature of how interest in science is considered somehow undesirable - caused many girls to lose interest before they were even exposed to it. Many Asian and Indian women have STEM jobs because of the fact that they tend to raise their children in a different family culture than American racial groups with a longer history in the United States.

What is more frustrating on a personal level is to know that people like you do not value people like me and our experience, hard work, and dedication to our work. I am no more and no less deserving of a job based on my sex, I am, however, based on the content that I produce. I am here in my job because I have earned it. It is one of the most condescending things to assume that my sex should have a 50/50 chance of getting a job solely based on our sex, because maybe the reason why I am here is because I worked my ass off, and I want to be rewarded for my efforts, not for the flap between my legs.

You do not represent equality if that's truly what you believe, you believe in sorting people by gender and trying to reach as closely to an established quota.

So let's admit that each and every one of us can face challenges in the workplace, in elected office, in the eyes of the law, etc, because of our gender, or skin color, or sexual orientation, or whatever. But gender parity won't ever happen if we're too concerned with flinging statistics in each others faces trying to prove who's disenfranchised the most.
    But that's all you just did, and you did so pretty poorly as well.

All snide remarks aside, your last point is genuinely disturbing, besides the fact that it's kind of hypocritical. You SHOULD be concerned about statistics being shoved in your face because you should be aware of how those statistics are gathered from data, and understand what the trends mean, and understand how they may or may not apply to your personal life. You cannot expect people to take your statements seriously when you find the fact that people use statistics or make conclusions based off of evidence repulsive in debate - that is entirely what claims are based off of.

And again, I never made a statement about "who is the most disenfranchised". To the contrary, your post is largely about how women are the most disenfranchised. My posts have repeatedly been about being honest about representation of statistics so that a more clear picture of disparities are made public so that they can be resolved.

Ultimately, sexism affects both sexes and going around and claiming that one is somehow more deserving of "fixing" than the other is wrong, because the reality is that both sexes face many issues.

And perhaps the true irony of your post is that you have shown quite blatantly that you are more concerned about looking at the numbers than actual equality than anyone else in this thread.

Nice straw man argument. I never once said that statistics apply to individual experiences or vice versa. All I've said was that you are merely claiming that the sources other people provided aren't sufficient because you don't agree with them.
    Why are you getting so defensive? I wasn't even addressing you at all. Who am I exactly strawmanning, because I wasn't even talking about you. You need to chill out.

You have no real reason to say the sources provided against you are invalid--they are going to hold just as much credit as the ones that you've provided.You keep saying their invalid, invalid, invalid blah blah blah but where is your actual I don't know.... proof? You argue that you've used math, but your math contains glaring errors that greatly skew the results in your favor.
    Invalid sources include those that come from locations with clear agendas. For example, it's probably a better argument to get your statistics about female victims of crime from FBI statistics, even though they may not account for all possible cases, because unlike many tabloids, news organizations and other assorted "casual" resources, which likely have political leaning or bias.

In addition, statistics that cannot be traced back to a scholarly or government source are also invalid, since there is no way to verify the techniques shown.

You're basically arguing that any piece of evidence should be used to prove a point, which basically means you could range from anything from a scholarly paper to a completely incoherent rambling of some redpiller on reddit. Evidence has the right to be scrutinized, as you, Magic and LiveWire have done - so what makes you think that you're allowed to call out people on faulty evidence but others are not allowed to call you out?

Wow, this thread has a lot of hypocrites.

Last edited:

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    You're basically arguing that any piece of evidence should be used to prove a point, which basically means you could range from anything from a scholarly paper to a completely incoherent rambling of some redpiller on reddit. Evidence has the right to be scrutinized, as you, Magic and LiveWire have done - so what makes you think that you're allowed to call out people on faulty evidence but others are not allowed to call you out?

Wow, this thread has a lot of hypocrites.
    One isn't a lot!

And no, that's not what I'm saying. What I am saying is that the sources, Rainn for instance, gather their information from legitimate sources.

Here is the list they used:
    National Institute of Justice & Centers for Disease Control & Prevention. Prevalence, Incidence and Consequences of Violence Against Women Survey. 1998.
    U.S. Department of Justice. 2003 National Crime Victimization Survey. 2003.
    U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics, Sex Offenses and Offenders. 1997.
    1998 Commonwealth Fund Survey of the Health of Adolescent Girls. 1998.
    U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, Administration for Children and Families. 1995 Child Maltreatment Survey. 1995.
    U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics. 2000 Sexual Assault of Young Children as Reported to Law Enforcement. 2000.
    U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics. American Indians and Crime. 1992-2002.
    World Health Organization. 2002.
    U.S. Department of Justice. 2012 National Crime Victimization Survey. 2012.

Which one of those institutions are you saying isn't credible?

Oh, and you're strawmanning because NO ONE said that statistics apply to individuals or vice versa. You're raising that as a point in what I can only assume is an attempt to prove that you're right about x because you're right about y.

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • One isn't a lot!
    At least I explained why there were hypocrites here, are you just trolling at this point? What am I saying that's hypocritical, because your attempt at being funny doesn't really count. It honestly sounds like you don't really understand my perspective, which is alright, but that's no reason to call people names, unless you can actually back that claim, of course. oh, debate~

And no, that's not what I'm saying. What I am saying is that the sources, Rainn for instance, gather their information from legitimate sources.
    I'm not saying they do not, I'm saying that they have a political leaning towards a specific agenda. Honestly, in terms of seeking statistics, organizations like RAINN should only be used for locating the sources of those statistics. In addition, they are the source of some statistics that are derived from those statistics, and unfortunately unlike mine, they do not go through and show how these statistics are derived. Without this knowledge, you cannot make a claim about the value of its truth either way, although refusals can appear suspicious.

Which one of those institutions are you saying isn't credible?
    I never claimed any individual institution wasn't credible. If you expect to get anywhere in this debate, do not shove words into people's mouths for upvotes.

Oh, and you're strawmanning because NO ONE said that statistics apply to individuals or vice versa. You're raising that as a point in what I can only assume is an attempt to prove that you're right about x because you're right about y.
    Except I never addressed you, it's just a general problem that I notice a lot. Since I studied statistics and often use mathematical models in my job and for hobbies, I try to at least educate others about common interpretation mistakes. If that makes you feel upset, then so be it, I apologize, but the comment is a general comment towards people in general, which is why I didn't address you. It's simply that your quote reminded me of it.

If you want to take that personally then be my guest.

Years

• At the very least, I can debate and post ideas without spewing vitriol and ruining the overall discussion by trying to shout over everyone else.

Also, really, "liberal communist lie"? I'm liberal, you leek. I have voted entirely Democratic, bar one individual in one election. But way to go, to show that you basically believe that all the people you disagree with are those naughty conservatives. See kids, this is why you don't make assumptions about people on the internet, because when you're wrong, it's pretty embarrassing.

Please, by all means, continue to put words in my mouth. Please continue to over-react to a sarcastic remark "Liberal communist lie" that evidently you can't recognize as such. I do not believe as such, so I would appreciate it if you would stop resorting to straw men and ad hominem attacks to try and prove a point. But obviously, everyone else's data is flawed and they're all hypocrites, save you.

What is more frustrating on a personal level is to know that people like you do not value people like me and our experience, hard work, and dedication to our work. I am no more and no less deserving of a job based on my sex, I am, however, based on the content that I produce.

If you're trying to preach equality and such, you're doing it wrong. You don't know what I think, so quit acting like you have any idea whatsoever as to what I believe or think on the matter.

I am no more and no less deserving of a job based on my sex, I am, however, based on the content that I produce.

I agree with this. It shouldn't matter what your gender is, but what your charachter is and what you bring to the table, talent wise. That's all I think anyone is trying to say here. But if you don't want to recognize the fact that men and women are treated unfairly or face institutionalized discrimination solely because of their gender, some more than others, then I can't help you.

I'm also not going to entertain the rest of your gibberish with a response.

Back