• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

itt how selfish are you

pkmin3033

I am completely selfish. But I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing...if you don't put yourself first, who will? Nobody does anything for anyone else if they don't get some small benefit from it anyway.

Sanguine

malignant narcissist
    Years
  • I'm a big fan of doing selfless acts, since I kinda love seeing that I've made someone else's day better. That being said, there are times where I do have to remind myself that I'm just as important as anyone else, so I guess I'm selfish too to some extent.

Reactions: Sun
    Years
  • I think human beings are all innately selfish, even the seemingly selfless ones. I don't want to get all RT here, but don't "selfless" people do good deeds because doing good makes them feel fulfilled?

Years
  • Pretty selfish. I'm not going to go out of my way to take something from someone else, but if doing something for me comes with no cost to other people then I'm going to do that something for me if I want. But I'm also fickle and sometimes spontaneous so I'm just as likely to be generous at times and offer to do something, give something, whatever.

Years
  • I think there's a distinct fine line between feeling fulfilled in doing good deeds and expecting something in return for those good deeds. I do not see feeling fulfilled as being selfish, depending on what context you're using that in. If I'm helping out a charity, for instance, I'd feel fulfilled, even if I'm not actually getting anything in return, at least I'd be helping out the less fortunate, and that would make me feel "fulfilled" in return. Does that make sense?

With that being said, I lean more towards the selfless side. I do have some selfish tendencies, but as a whole I don't put myself first a whole lot.

You just said it yourself though, you might not be getting or expecting a reward, but you're getting a sense of "fulfilment" in return for your efforts. I don't think people would do nice things if it didn't make them feel good.

I dunno maybe I'm too cynical, but that's my take on it.

Years
  • Is fulfillment really selfishness though, even though you're getting anything in actuality in return other than whatever caused you to feel fulfillment? Perhaps I'm not seeing things in the right light, here.

You're seeing things in a different light, not necessarily the wrong one.

The way I see it, we do everything for the purpose of our own fulfilment. Any positive effects for others are just a bonus. Nobody would be an activist or humanitarian if it didn't make them feel good to be so. So whilst it's not nearly as selfish as invading a small country and stealing all their resources, it's still selfish behaviour (this doesn't make it bad behaviour though). Selflessness is a myth to me in the true sense. When we say "that person is selfless" we really mean "You're less selfish than others" or "Your actions have positive consequences for others".

Like I said though, that's just my take on things xD

Margaery Tyrell

Growing Strong
    Years
  • I'm a rather selfish person, I won't lie that even when I do kind things for others there is a sense of expectancy of obligation or at least appreciation in return.

Sometimes I'll do things that benefit me and might upset others but its not usually extreme. *shrugs*

I think everyone is selfish to an extent, otherwise you might have a problem tbh - putting EVERYONE before you isn't really a sign of virtue but not enough self respect in my opinion.

Years
  • I'd like to say I'm pretty giving! I share things with my family and buy them stuff and bring my friend sweets when I visit.
    I used to be pretty selfish, but then I got a bad rep from it so.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Not very selfish at all. I think of others in almost everything I do and that's why I'm a good worker, friend, and lover. Although I will say nowadays I have learned to be a bit more selfish or at least be able to stand my ground in those areas because by being selfless you can get taken advantage of

I've learned you can't expect anything from anyone and that's something that defines people from each other. If you do things just to reap the rewards of what you think you deserve then you never truly know what it is to do something without gain.

Years
  • I think I'm like... selfishly unselfish, if that makes any sense. I don't really know how to explain it, but we humans are all selfish from time to time, and that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    Maybe a delicate balancing act with both terms, don't know really. I can be and have been a very selfless person, enough that I've been used up into a broken mess then spat at on their way out. I have also been selfish enough to destroy/threaten personal relationships with people because my patience hit its limit. For those times I cared more about my own feelings but that isn't always the case. More times than not I regard others before myself, because life is really difficult and you never know what someone's going through. But if my line does gets crossed, it will be seriously crossed-- I'm nobody's bitch either. :P

Back