• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

IV breeding and the Headache that follows

Hoohking

Warrior-Poet
Years
  • I'm currently IV breeding a Jolly Sneasle, and in my pain-induced flu haze, I began wondering if anyone else had become victim to the massive pain in the butt that is IV breeding. Can anyone sympathize with me? :paranoid:

SmashGood

Me... SMASH!!
    Years
  • I hear you. I'm trying to catch the three musketeer pokes with good IVs myself. I wish I could just breed with them. Breeding for IVs frustrates me enough that I will simply settle for 3 stats, train the poke with EVs and experience, and then use it to breed at a later point if it is really hurting me not having a good stat in whatever it was lacking.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • I was a victim to IV breeding in Emerald. I got horrible results... I was lucky enough to get the right nature and ability (see: Togepi). One time, I bred an Adamant Elekid with FIVE 31s and a crap IV. Guess where the crap IV was in? Attack. -_-

Since gen 4 RNG abuse was cracked and exploited, I haven't had as much of a headache. 5th gen abuse ftw too ? :)

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    This can relate to more than one game, so off to Pokemon Gaming Central it goes!

(There's a thread on whether IV/EV info should be shown, but not anything on how annoying breeding for good IVs are).

I personally don't breed for IVs or anything, so yeah. :x

Clairissa

Shining brilliantly!
    Years
  • The most I've ever bred for is egg moves... I never really figured out how to find IVs on pokemon without using Pokesav or something, and I have no way to get a save onto my computer so... I never got in to that whole thing.

Though I know the general pain of breeding all to well...

Kalsard

Looking for time travellers.
    Years
  • Yup, before I could be bothered to RNG on Gen IV, I spent all my time catching wild dittos in Soul Silver along with breeding to get good IV's.
    >:D

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I can understand the pain of IV breeding because it's frustrating when the parents have good IVs, but the baby that hatches has crappy ones.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Oh yes, I've been there... so many baby Pokemon I've had to release because of bad IV's... the sheer amount of time wasted to test them... fortunately I've got my team ready now and don't have to do all that again...

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • I haven't bred specifically for IVs (well, maybe a Hasty Flygon that was intended for Emerald Battle Frontier usage), but I have gone on an IV-comparing spree with certain Pokemon. I caught Abra en masse (to use their Synchronize ability in the future to sync the Natures of wild Pokemon to preferred ones) and Ditto (for breeding), paying particular care to the IVs (the IV man in the Battle Frontier is very convenient!).

I haven't attempted IV breeding in Generations 4 or 5 yet, but I'm likely going to pay even more attention to it, due to the RNG abuse potential and the new additional effects of the post-Generation 3 EV-enhancing items (basically, all the "Power" items/braces excluding the Macho Brace) that were introduced in HGSS. >_>

Back