• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen I've never...

JollyRoger25

Dark Type Master
    Years
    I've never seen the point of the Battle Frontier in Emerald, or the Battle tower in Ruby and Sapphire, I guess you have to have either a urge to battle alot of battles that give you no Experence, or the obsessive need to finish every part of the game. I just found it pretty pointless, why spend all that time aquiring a symbol, when you can battle for exp.... Whats your opinion, who knows, you might just change mine.

BenjiTheKid

Cooltrainer Benji
    Years
    Meh, I always thought they were just for side goals. Y'know, like Mt Battle in the GC games? Except... Mt Battle is a little more acceptable since you get Exp Points. Every game needs a few side goals that you can do to get your mind off the /actual/ game.

Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2009
    Meh .You only get to those places after you beat the regular game. So the only real point I see is the bragging rights, or maybe filling up your pokedex.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    It is just something for people to do once the storyline is over. Plus, how everyone plays is different than competitive battling, which is a start. It can also be something for want to battle since back then in the Advance games there were no Wi-Fi compatible systems or games. Really, all it is something to do during your free time, and is somewhere you can battle if you don't have any friends to battle with, or don't feel like going over to their house just to battle. Anyways, you don't gain something by doing it, just a symbol. Yes, but do you gain anything from playing a game? No, all it is a video game, they only put it in there so people won't be bored after finishing the storyline, and have something to do other than "catch 'em all" or train Pokemon with good Nature and IVs, but no where to battle with them except the Battle Tower, Battle Frontier (or if you are willing to find a friend to battle against). Elite Four is really the place to go if you want EXP gain, BT or BF is just to test movesets, or just have fun battling.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Actually, for me the Battle Frontier is far more valuable than in-game, for a number of reasons:

- The first and foremost is the ability to purchase the rare Move Tutor moves (particularly Rock Slide). Since these cannot be transferred through breeding (and since I believe cheating is for fools), being able to purchase these moves is one of the best aspects of Emerald.

- Second, I much prefer the challenge of defeating the different bosses to the incredibly weak "elite" 4 that only offer any kind of challenge if you severely handicap yourself in the process. The Battle Frontier is set up more of what I would have expected the in-game end challenge should have been.

- On that note, the AI in the Battle Frontier is at least somewhat competitive. In-game training is incredibly dull and boring so I avoid it as much as possible, preferring instead to use Rare Candies (which I farm with Lv91 Linoone) and doing EV training in my Secret Bases. BF AI will switch out their Pokemon (at least more often than in-game AI does), and employ strategy to its advantage, something in-game AI will never do.

- The Battle Frontier also lets you double battle with either an AI partner or another friend. This opens up a whole different aspect of the game that you cannot find in-game at all.

- Lastly, every time you battle in the Battle Frontier, it is different. It isn't the exact same trainers with the exact same Pokemon every single time. Plus, with double battles you can choose different partners, making the game even more diverse.

Overall, the Battle Frontier is the best thing that Game Freak ever came up with (even though there still could be improvements) and is one of many reasons why Emerald is the best game to date.

Phaizar

Master Trainer
    Years
    It is just something for people to do once the storyline is over. Plus, how everyone plays is different than competitive battling, which is a start. It can also be something for want to battle since back then in the Advance games there were no Wi-Fi compatible systems or games. Really, all it is something to do during your free time, and is somewhere you can battle if you don't have any friends to battle with, or don't feel like going over to their house just to battle. Anyways, you don't gain something by doing it, just a symbol. Yes, but do you gain anything from playing a game? No, all it is a video game, they only put it in there so people won't be bored after finishing the storyline, and have something to do other than "catch 'em all" or train Pokemon with good Nature and IVs, but no where to battle with them except the Battle Tower, Battle Frontier (or if you are willing to find a friend to battle against). Elite Four is really the place to go if you want EXP gain, BT or BF is just to test movesets, or just have fun battling.

I second that.

Never really paid attension to the BF/BT

Years
    Well i never did so, i know what you mean, i never reay made an effort to beat it, i would rather trade, but if you like battling, and getting no ep, then why battle offline?

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    Well i never did so, i know what you mean, i never reay made an effort to beat it, i would rather trade, but if you like battling, and getting no ep, then why battle offline?
    Though, this is in the R/S/E so there is no online battling. The only battling would be with a friend. That is usually why they have it there, so whoever doesn't have anyone to be battle with have the BT/BF. Even if this would be in D/P/P, it is still needed since the people who never had Wi-Fi cannot compete over online, except we have Shoddy now.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    Platinum does have that.

Also, I just went to the Battle tower for something. Yeah, I was able to be killed by the brain as she was good.

Inferno1

Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    I absolutly love the battle frontire it is an entire new challenge i love it im not the best ive only ever gotten 7 silver symbols and 3 or 4 i cant rember gold but i love it i think it is awesome

The Red Chain

- On that note, the AI in the Battle Frontier is at least somewhat competitive. In-game training is incredibly dull and boring so I avoid it as much as possible, preferring instead to use Rare Candies (which I farm with Lv91 Linoone) and doing EV training in my Secret Bases.

Off topic ; If you EV train, using Rare Candies isn't the best idea.. Because if you don't manually level them up, and use Rare Candies instead your Pokemon won't get the benefit of EV points.. They could have double the EV points at lvl 100 if you don't use Rare Candies. It might be boring, but it's worth it, especially if you battle a lot~ ^_^

Well, I never paid much attention to the Battle Tower, Mansion, Factory, or anything relating to it.
    It's just something challenging to do other than beating the Elite Four over and over..
    Besides, if you want the black trainer card [5 stars] in DP you have to get 100 consecutive wins at the Battle Tower. :3 [It gives you another star]

So if you're going for the 5 star trainer card, you pretty much have to challenge the Battle Tower.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Off topic ; If you EV train, using Rare Candies isn't the best idea.. Because if you don't manually level them up, and use Rare Candies instead your Pokemon won't get the benefit of EV points.. They could have double the EV points at lvl 100 if you don't use Rare Candies. It might be boring, but it's worth it, especially if you battle a lot~ ^_^
    That is incorrect. EV points have nothing to do with leveling up at all. They are Effort Value points awarded to your Pokemon after successfully defeating an opposing Pokemon. The only time you can't max out EVs by using Rare Candies is if you level up to Lv100, since EV points accrued are applied at the next level up, which doesn't happen at Lv100. Now, I have heard some say that putting a Pokemon in the PC or Day Care and taking it back out will set the EV points, but I am not convinced that is true and haven't bothered testing it out.

For me, I EV train FIRST, and then I level up. I do that by setting up Secret Bases on my Emerald version that are full of what I call EV Pokemon, which are Pokemon that give me 3 EV points in a particular stat. Riachu, for example, gives 3 Spd EV. Anyway, I put 6 Riachu without any attacking moves at the lowest level possible (Lv3-6) in my party on my Ruby cart that has a Secret Base in an unique location, then mix records with my Emerald and I now have that Secret Base location on my Emerald where once a day (or as many times as I mix records) I can fight those 6 Riachu to earn 18 Spd EV points. Well, actually I earn 72 points since I also have Pokerus and hold the Macho Brace, and I also have 5 other Pokemon each holding an Exp Share so they earn 18 points each as well.

Once I have maxed the EV points (limit is 510, 255 in one stat although I always stop at 252), THEN and only then do I use Rare Candy. That gives me diversity to put together a team at a certain level or go all the way to Lv100.

The end result is that my Lv100 Pokemon that I raised using this method is no different than a Pokemon that reached Lv100 by strictly battling, except that it only takes me a few minutes instead of hours of boring battles against brainless AI opponents.

Last edited:

Honest

Hi!
    Years
    I never liked the Battle Tower, but The Battle Frontier is different.

I guess they included the frontier to go along with the anime, but thats my guess.

Cold Fusion

When you laugh, you gain luck.
    Years
    The Battle Fontier has always been a challenge that I've been trying to beat for ages. I use there to see if my abilty in using the Pokemon I have raised has grown strong enough. (to beat my older bro) It I suppose it is there just for a challenge to anyone that wants to take it.

I've never actually been to the battle tower. I may have to try it out sometime.

Back