• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

J-E Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Dat Steins;Gate man...

So...
    Spoiler:

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years

Even if the original novels are better than the show, I still think it's a waste of a perfectly good premise.

So, you have this revolutionary weapons system that supposedly only women can operate. I don't really understand why the United States, Russia, China, Japan, South Korea, Israel, and the EU would willingly throw away their advantage by enacting the Alaska Treaty; it smacks of the same kind of thinking that ultimately led to the dismemberment of Czechoslovakia at the hands of the Nazis in the lead-up to World War II, but that's neither here nor there. In any case, at least it's acknowledged that the balance of power between men and women has been irreversibly altered, but as far as I know, they don't even dwell on that important detail very much. You could spin all sorts of interesting stories from what's already been given, but the author apparently just wanted to write a harem with pseudo-militaristic trappings.

Well, some lessons you have to learn the hard way, I suppose. There are some limited sci-fi elements (the IS units themselves), but for the most part it's your typical generic harem. If you want a military-themed romantic comedy, just stick to the Full Metal Panic! franchise.

Sousuke Sagara wouldn't even need an IS of his own to kick Ichika Orimura's ass. He'd kick Ichika's ass while piloting an unarmed Rk-92 Savage that's been left out in the Siberian tundra for the better part of a decade. Those ISes aren't looking so hot now, are they?

Welcome to fiction. It isn't realistic. If you want realistic scenarios, go watch documentaries imo.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023

I had no idea what sort of hate this show has until I started frequenting /m/ some time ago, it's pretty hilarious actually. I managed to get 8 episodes into the show before I forgot about it and just got busy with other things. I actually thought it was a decent show, little tacky at times, but it had an interesting premise, it was just never...one of those shows that leaves you on the edge of your seat for the next episode.

Though now I sort of want to check out this Steins;Gate show, all I knew about it before reading the last few posts was that Andy seemed to love it. Ooh how I've fallen out of keeping up with anime news.

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years

Though now I sort of want to check out this Steins;Gate show, all I knew about it before reading the last few posts was that Andy seemed to love it. Ooh how I've fallen out of keeping up with anime news.

If you haven't heard about it, you must be out of the loop. It only has one of the more engaging, yet intelligent plots to date. =P Definitely going up there as one of my favorite three series of all time. And it's probably the first non-mecha to make that list, too.

"Hey mister! I am mad scientist! It's so cool! Sonuva*****."
    -Okabe, Rintarou

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    Welcome to fiction. It isn't realistic. If you want realistic scenarios, go watch documentaries imo.
    Fiction doesn't necessarily have to be realistic, but it has to be believable and internally consistent. There is a difference. Infinite Stratos simply fails to be believable.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    If you haven't heard about it, you must be out of the loop.
    Like you would not believe. :P

Watching the first episode now, I'm amused I actually got that Titor reference. This seems like a fairly interesting show, 'course I've yet to finish the first episode, so I'll get back to that!

...and once I finished the episode, I have absolutely no idea what I just watched. But I'm guessing a lot of trippy scenes and hallucinations have to deal with the time travel aspect. I might have dropped this right here if not for good word of mouth, so I'll truck on to the second episode.

Last edited:

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
    If that's all you've heard about it then that's a good thing. Because there's a good chance you haven't heard spoilers.

And I do love the show. Like David it'll more then likely go into my top 3.

...and once I finished the episode, I have absolutely no idea what I just watched. But I'm guessing a lot of trippy scenes and hallucinations have to deal with the time travel aspect. I might have dropped this right here if not for good word of mouth, so I'll truck on to the second episode.
    I'll tell you what I told Robo... watch 5 episodes. If by the end of the 5th ep you're not wanting more or still going "I don't know... this is boring" then chances are it won't hold your interest (even if it does get a lot better down the road).

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    If that's all you've heard about it then that's a good thing. Because there's a good chance you haven't heard spoilers.
    Yeah, all I literally know is that you guys think it's a good show and that the stuff I picked up on in the first episode.

I'm sure I'll get interested in it more by the time the fifth episode rolls around. There were already a couple of things that caught my attention in the first episode, I think the odd pacing just threw me for a loop. I haven't watched a good anime that wasn't a long running one in ages, sooo I figure this as good as any to try and break that cycle with.

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    I'll tell you what I told Robo... watch 5 episodes. If by the end of the 5th ep you're not wanting more or still going "I don't know... this is boring" then chances are it won't hold your interest (even if it does get a lot better down the road).

Yeah, the show is dialogue-heavy and until the time travel element really begins to ratchet up, your enjoyment of the show really hinges on how much interest you have in the premise and how much you enjoy the character interactions. I was sold pretty much from the start if only because Okabe Rintarou has the most personality of any male anime lead in a good long time. He's really refreshingly flawed, manic, and intelligent.

Robo is doomed to like the show for completely inappropriate reasons thanks to his inexplicable hatred of Tuturu :p

Yeah, all I literally know is that you guys think it's a good show and that the stuff I picked up on in the first episode.

I'm sure I'll get interested in it more by the time the fifth episode rolls around. There were already a couple of things that caught my attention in the first episode, I think the odd pacing just threw me for a loop. I haven't watched a good anime that wasn't a long running one in ages, sooo I figure this as good as any to try and break that cycle with.

Whoa, Jorfe's watching S;G! This is excellent news.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years

As for Mayuri, meh she's better than Ferisnyan and the Facebook addict but the rest of the cast I probably like more. Cute though.

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    Since I'm so given to ranking anything and everything at the slightest opportunity:

S;G girls: Kurisutiiiina > Tuturu > Suzu > Feyris > (spoiler) > Nae > FBFBFBFBFBFBFBFBFBFB

S;G guys: Okarin > Supaa Hacka > I <3 CRT > Ruka

I loled at Tuturu Imperial March. I'm quite fond of this series of Steins;Gate videos, which mash up scenes from the show with audio from the Dr. Weird segments at the beginning of Aqua Teen Hunger Force:

Probably not a tenth as funny to ATHF non-fans, just a warning :p There should be four more after this one among the uploader's other videos.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    What is Penguindrum? I mean the first few episodes were fabulous max but now I don't even know.
    Spoiler:

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
    I WAS APPALLED THAT THERE WAS NO SURVIVAL STRATEGY IN PENGUINDRUM 8.........

Everyone I know who watches it has no clue what's going on, and loves it anyway. Thursdays and Fridays are great fun for us lmfao we dissect the episodes ._______.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
    I think Penguindrum thus far has been great, and I'm not disappointed by the eps over the past few weeks.

As for Ringo... I like her better when she isn't some crazy psycho. I hope what happens in ep 8 wakes her up.

As for SEIZON SENRYAKU!!!! We didn't have one in ep 4. We don't have to have one every ep, even if I love them, and even if ep 5's Survial Strategy is one of my fav anime scenes of all time.

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
    What I like about Ringo is that her personality is refreshing - not in the recovering, revitalizing sense, but in the sense that it isn't the type of personality you commonly see on a heroine. Sure, she's one part extreme and four parts psycho, but that's what I love about her.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back