• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

J-E Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
  • English Dubbing of shows which consist solely of highschool girls should stop. The original Madoka cast was hardly memorable though, I can only recall Madoka's voice fitting her annoying character perfectly and QB's being Mayoi Hachikuji.

I wonder how many people that would spend that much on an average series would watch the dub anyway.

Zet

Years
  • Worse than any of the voices is the freakishly stilted pronunciation they're using for Madoka.

MADo-ka. MADo-ka. MADo-ka. Trying to sound Japanese when you're speaking English just doesn't work. It's like when Simon was called "SHEE-moan" in the Gurren-Lagann dub in an attempt to be ultra-faithful to the Japanese even though it's only pronounced that way to begin with because of the lack of a "si" sound in the language. Sounding natural to English language/inflection/etc. trumps enforcing total authenticity, IMO.

Come to think of it, most of my favorite dubs are for shows where there are few Japanese names or terms.

MADo-ka was hardly ever mad anyway. It was very silly of them to do this in the english dub.

Last episode of penguindrum was a bit saddening... mainly because it's finished. :(

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • Penguindrum, I thought it ended pretty well, wasn't expecting it to be as good as Utena before it started (bet you're all bored of hearing that comparison by now) but it held it's own surprisingly for the most part. Surprisingly didn't hate the
    Spoiler:
    Anyway, I enjoyed this deconstruction of the deconstruction genre and hope it doesn't take Ikuhara another 14 years to get another series out.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    It definitely lived up to the expectations coming from Ikuhara as the first anime he's directed since Utena. It was definitely a fun ride from start to finish. Would get on train again.

jpp8

Producer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2013
    ...Am I the only one who didn't use Muh-dough-kuh prior? Seriously, it seems like everyone else uses Muh-dough-kuh when referring to Madoka.

But I digress. Blah blah Madoka dub. Watch subtitles. It's legal now.

Penguindrum, like Star Driver, I feel is one of those shows where you had to be there. All the speculah and just general reactions to last week's episode is what made the experience so great. I can't see many others who may marathon this show really enjoying it.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • Not sure about that, I didn't really pay attention to peoples opinions or any /a/ threads on Pingudrum as I didn't want to have what I get from the series influenced. If I had I probably would have enjoyed the show less.

Madoka pronunciation.... Ma-dough-ka or if i was to pronounce it with a Norfolk accent Ma-doo-ka.

Hagumi

For a sick boy
    Years
  • I was planning to watch Penguindrum when it was finished so I could marathon it. Hopefully I'll enjoy it as much as other people who watched the livestreams, etc have.

Anyways, I recently finished Kaiba. It was a great anime, perhaps a little confusing (though to be fair, I wasn't giving it my full attention when I was watching some episodes) and there were some loose ends that were left unanswered, but overall it was great. I wasn't sure about the ending though... while it was a happy ending I think a bittersweet one would have been better.

But yeah, I thought it was a great anime. The OST is really awesome.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • So I finally decided to see what all the fuss with Kannagi was about. Got to the scene which caused the otaku uprising and well, petty people are petty. The proverbial middle finger to the waifufags in the next chapter was glorious though.
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 30, 2013
    Anyone got any news or a preview on the anime Highschool DxD? The synopsis indicates a totally generic show, but I kind of like this kind of shows, lol. Also, Brave 10 looks decent.

Years
    • Seen Sep 30, 2013
    Oh, I actually know this preview from MAL, but I wanted another one if there were any. Thanks anyways. I will probably give it a try. There seems to be a decent collection of anime for Winter; I'm especially anticipating Another and Black★Rock Shooter. Probably others but I haven't fully looked through ALL the new anime.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • Yeah the quality seems ok, tbh 2011 was pretty decent. I'm really looking forward for Nizumonogatari, Another, Miniskirt Pirates (will be best animu ever), that cute girls doing cute things + giant Nissan mecha show and a few more things.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Updated my MAL list in god knows how long...

Well, the new season looks promosing with Amagami SS 2 and ZnT so I'll be looking forward to it. Also started KR Fourze as well as KSG so it'll keep me occupied for a while.

J-E Discussion

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    Got my CLANNAD complete set in! Thank you rightstuf for getting it to me for only $60 <3

UCHUU KITAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Got my CLANNAD complete set in! Thank you rightstuf for getting it to me for only $60 <3

UCHUU KITAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    I've been wanting to buy that, I have the money, but no credit card or debit. Darn you parents for not buying things online.

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
  • Out of all of the shows of next season (not counting Thermae Romae, since it's not televised), I think that pirate anime is the only one that seems overly ridiculous to me, and not in a good way. The trailer was meh at best. That said, it could be great if you're into space pirates... I guess? Probably the only thing for Winter I wouldn't give a shot though.

A lot of 2-cour stuff coming up, oddly.

Zet

Years

• The wonders of youtube.

Seems like a deep anime, I like deep anime so I'll give it a couple of episodes at least.
    I've read 3 chapters of the manga, it's pretty interesting imo.

So why didn't you guys tell me about Hellsing Ultimate? Alucard is like Roberta from Lagoon which is awesome.
    How can you not know about Hellsing Ultimate? The english dub for it is pretty decent unlike a lot of other stuff lately.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back