• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

J-E Questions [Now Also the Anime Recommendation] Thread

Renii

Se(Renii)ty
Years
  • Sure, thanks :D

I think they showed One Piece here some time ago, didn't watch that a lot then. I'll watch Shaman King today or tomorrow and VM you :)

Years
    • Age 31
    • AU
    • Seen Feb 18, 2023
    So, I'm looking for an anime to watch or a manga to read.

I've recently finished Xam'd: Lost Memories and I'm currently watching Ao no Exorcist. I've read all of the Zelda mangas, read some of the Pokemon Adventure mangas and am reading Naruto (grudgingly. its getting boring) and Ao no Exorcist. Which I adore. I've also seen and enjoyed Gurren Lagann. I loved the Ghibli movies (princess mononoke, howl's moving castle and spirited away are my favourite) and i've also seen This Ugly Yet Beautiful World (it was short, sweet and interesting. pretty good!) and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzimiya. I've also seen and enjoyed tidbits of Soul Eater and read a little of Full Metal Alchemist (that was pretty okay).

Animation style is kind of important to me. I'm not that great into mecha like Gundam or anything. I hated Bleach because it was so unbearably bad to watch (that style was just disgusting) and so does Naruto unless its a movie or something. Deathnote was okay but it was boring after the big climax, plus the animation style was pretty boring. The manga was way better.

So yeah. I seem to enjoy stuff where a hero finds out he/she has an ultimate power, usually has to hide it, can't control it all the time, includes transformations and stuff. Any suggestions?

edit: OH! also i enjoyed the animation style for the digimon movie and the girl who leapt through time. (i know its the same director) d:

~Ryukaa

total nerd
    Years
  • Hmm. What you're looking for is a little tough. Let's see...
    Ahh, Detective Conan falls into mind. But that's more like an 18 year old gets turned into a kid, and needs to hide it. For over 600 episodes. It's a good series. If you like Mystery, and Shounen, you'd like Detective Conan.

You might enjoy Katekyo Hitman Reborn. Maybe. It's a Shounen Jump series about Mafia, and such. I'm stumped here. But yeah, I'll just post one of the openings, and you can see if you might like it or not. I can see what type of anime you're looking for, but what genres do you prefer? Might be easier to find something for you if you tell me what genres you're into.

Years
    • Age 31
    • AU
    • Seen Feb 18, 2023
    Hmm. What you're looking for is a little tough. Let's see...
    Ahh, Detective Conan falls into mind. But that's more like an 18 year old gets turned into a kid, and needs to hide it. For over 600 episodes. It's a good series. If you like Mystery, and Shounen, you'd like Detective Conan.

You might enjoy Katekyo Hitman Reborn. Maybe. It's a Shounen Jump series about Mafia, and such. I'm stumped here. But yeah, I'll just post one of the openings, and you can see if you might like it or not. I can see what type of anime you're looking for, but what genres do you prefer? Might be easier to find something for you if you tell me what genres you're into.

Oh, i also liked Shakugan no Shana as well. d: If that helps.

600... quality episodes? D: Because Naruto is like 4 million jazillion crappy episodes. Quantity usually means quality is missed. D: i really like watching a good animation. and transformation sequences. I love those two together. like, i watched the last part of episode one of X'amd about 12 times, i've probably replayed naruto vs. sasuke at least 7 times, the third naruto movie where he goes ninetails nuts on those weird stone hand nin things, the first episode of ao no exorcist at least 6 times and any chapter when rin reveals his flames and goes batcrap crazy is good. d; blue exorcist has to be my favourite at the moment.

I watched the youtube... but... it doesn't seem to tell me what its about hahaha. im guessing the kid is the main character but thats all i got.

Okay, well, i like shounen and actiony thing with a little humor here and there, but i like the storyline to be firm and not all over the place (like naruto manga is at the moment nudfnsdfasd) and probably anything supernatural tickles my fancy too.

what's d-gray man like? i've heard of it, never seen it.

~Ryukaa

total nerd
    Years
  • Hmm. One Piece. It's Shounen, it's Actiony, and the story is firm enough, but simple as well. xD;
    It's got it's fair share of episodes as well, but I can assure you, it's quality animation. Especially the movies, nu. o3o
    D. Gray Man is pretty good, from what I've heard. It's a very dark series, to be sure. But it's got it's humour. Though, most of the humour is earlier in on the series, like most series, as it goes on, the more serious and darker it gets. But it's good. It's action based as well, so you might like that.

Years
    • Age 31
    • AU
    • Seen Feb 18, 2023
    Hmm. One Piece. It's Shounen, it's Actiony, and the story is firm enough, but simple as well. xD;
    It's got it's fair share of episodes as well, but I can assure you, it's quality animation. Especially the movies, nu. o3o
    D. Gray Man is pretty good, from what I've heard. It's a very dark series, to be sure. But it's got it's humour. Though, most of the humour is earlier in on the series, like most series, as it goes on, the more serious and darker it gets. But it's good. It's action based as well, so you might like that.
    Oh god i've seen a bit of one piece. It looks thoroughly disgusting. d:

I might look a little at d gray man. Humor isnt a main thing for me, i really like a good storyline. With structure. Dark is good too. As long as its not x rated. Haha.

How about just.. Do you know any ones where the main character has to hide a giant power? Or the power was unknown to him beforehand? Or... Something? See ao no exorcist and naruto and xam'd and shakugan no shana and princess mononoke all had in common. Alternatively, danny phantom, misfits, astro boy (movie d: ) how to train your dragon, eragon, etc all had this too.

How about anything gaining powers? Except one piece oh GOD.

~Ryukaa

total nerd
    Years
  • What's wrong with One Piece? xD;
    It's the most popular manga in Japan, might I mention. o3o
    Not to mention it's creative, has got brilliant battle scenes, and very likable characters.
    It's awesome.
    Well, uhh. I can't think of many series with what you're looking for. What about Sands of Destruction/World Destruction or Blue Dragon? You might like those.

Years
    • Age 31
    • AU
    • Seen Feb 18, 2023
    What's wrong with One Piece? xD;
    It's the most popular manga in Japan, might I mention. o3o
    Not to mention it's creative, has got brilliant battle scenes, and very likable characters.
    It's awesome.
    Well, uhh. I can't think of many series with what you're looking for. What about Sands of Destruction/World Destruction or Blue Dragon? You might like those.

just... the style. it just looks gross. D: and crazy. and insane. not my kind of thing.

i might look at the other two. blue dragon is the same arts guy who did DBZ right? and they're both based on games haha.

geez im so picky. d: maybe i should just go google something haha. i initially found xam'd on the madman screening room and ao no exoricst from a gif i saw on tumblr (now im like completely in love with it hahaha)

EDIT: i like transformation sequences if you know anything with awesome of those?

Last edited:

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
  • You like Shonen anime, but you don't like the graphic style. That's very odd of you. :| But One Piece is a brilliant anime. You shouldn't hate on a certain anime just because of it's graphic style. At least watch one interesting arc from there, which is what I'd suggest (Arabasta, Impel Down, Enies Lobby etc.) and if you don't like it then, it's not really for you.

If you want a short anime, with some bits and pieces of humor here and there, but lacking on a little action (there's still gun fights), may I suggest Angel Beats! It's fun, short and sometimes a little difficult to understand, but it's animation style is brilliant.

Either that, or Code Geass, if you don't mind the occasional mecha series.

Years
    • Age 31
    • AU
    • Seen Feb 18, 2023
    You like Shonen anime, but you don't like the graphic style. That's very odd of you. :| But One Piece is a brilliant anime. You shouldn't hate on a certain anime just because of it's graphic style. At least watch one interesting arc from there, which is what I'd suggest (Arabasta, Impel Down, Enies Lobby etc.) and if you don't like it then, it's not really for you.

If you want a short anime, with some bits and pieces of humor here and there, but lacking on a little action (there's still gun fights), may I suggest Angel Beats! It's fun, short and sometimes a little difficult to understand, but it's animation style is brilliant.

Either that, or Code Geass, if you don't mind the occasional mecha series.
    I like shounen, i just hate the sloppy styles it can be prone too. where the animation is just half quality and chunky and the fighting is just... it lacks the rush! i'm not sure how to explain it, but if you've seen the first episode of x'amd, i love how every single movement and habit is included. Like how hard it is to take off shoes, hair flopping back and forth, gestures and such. I remember watching bleach and despite the amount of action it had, it was disgusting how much it actually LACKED.

i'm not sure if im making much sense but you know, sometimes the lazier looking style is so much nicer on the eyes and is so much nicely animated than the usual FOCUS ON FACE, STAY IN SAME MOTION FOR 4 MINUTES, GASP, USE REUSED RUNNING LOOP. and when they're fighting its just not enough focus on their moves and techniques and more focus on the generic explosions coming from their arms. i like to see quality! like movies. movies tend to have the best styles.

although... i do find that shojo is just... so over the top i want to puke. i see the cover art for fruits basket and vampire knight and i just want to HURL.

i just didnt like the look of one piece at all. ): it just look too childish for me really, despite being the most popular in japan or whatever. idk, there was just something about it.

i saw angel beats on the top rated on the Anime News Network when i was trying to find a new one. i might check it out. o:

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
  • If you don't mind gore, zombies and ecchi style, Highschool of the Dead might be good for you. It's short also, got plenty of action in it, and the quality is really crisp and sharp. It also has technical stuff being explained, which I don't know if you're a fan of it, but I am. Just a thought... :]

Years
    • Age 31
    • AU
    • Seen Feb 18, 2023
    If you don't mind gore, zombies and ecchi style, Highschool of the Dead might be good for you. It's short also, got plenty of action in it, and the quality is really crisp and sharp. It also has technical stuff being explained, which I don't know if you're a fan of it, but I am. Just a thought... :]

haha i saw a preview for that too. zombies aren't really my thing either but i might look at it. d:

I've read a bit on the wiki page of Angel Beats, that looks interesting enough! I'll check out the first episode tomorrow d:

How about any good, supernatural animes?

Renii

Se(Renii)ty
    Years
  • Somebody tell me which anime I'm thinking about. I've forgotten the name -_-

Okay, so there's a girl in the anime possibly a witch. She makes potions and keeps them in a small bottle that she wears around her neck. There might be more like her.

And I might be confusing this, it might be the same or different anime. There's a girl who is collecting orbs. And there is some sort of a competition. The one with more orbs wins. I think her grandfather is also in the anime keeping track of what and how she is doing things.

Does that remind you of something?

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • And I might be confusing this, it might be the same or different anime. There's a girl who is collecting orbs. And there is some sort of a competition. The one with more orbs wins. I think her grandfather is also in the anime keeping track of what and how she is doing things.

Does that remind you of something?

The second one you mention is Ultra Maniac. It was licensed in the US and sold on DVD's, I think by Viz. I don't know if the DVD's are still in print though, but the series as you described sounds exactly like Ultra Maniac.

Renii

Se(Renii)ty
    Years

• The second one you mention is Ultra Maniac. It was licensed in the US and sold on DVD's, I think by Viz. I don't know if the DVD's are still in print though, but the series as you described sounds exactly like Ultra Maniac.
    Wow it does sound like it from what I read. Let me see an episode or two to know for sure.

I think that those were the name of the characters. :P And the fact that they were produced by Animax makes it more likely, since I watched it on Animax.

Thanks a lot! I'll reply when I find out whether you were right or not. :D

EDIT: YAAAAY You found it. And both of them were the same.
    *huggles* Have a cookie :D

Last edited:

A Pixy

Cruel?
    Years
  • just... the style. it just looks gross. D: and crazy. and insane. not my kind of thing.

/Puts on psychology hat.

One Piece is, for some, in the anime equivalent of The Uncanny Valley. To put it into a chart:

J-E Questions [Now Also the Anime Recommendation] Thread

1. Anything by Osamu Tezuka
    2. Moe or Fist of the North Star
    3. Generic anime art style
    4. Anything by Noaki Urosawa
    5. One Piece

It's uncomfortable how close to any normal anime, but the way the author exaggerates everything feels strange to people. If anyone can call One Piece's art style anything, generic is not one of them. Crazy? Yes. Exaggerated? Yes. Very much like Saturday Morning Cartoons? Yes. But, the thing is, One Piece is a Saturday Morning Cartoon. Not to mention the author really likes American culture. Can't hate something for being what it should be. It's like saying 'I hate speakers because they make sound.' That's what it's supposed to be doing.

Also, One Piece is an absolutely staggering show. The pacing isn't perfect (in the anime, anyway), but the characters are awesome at best and solid but likable at worst. The villains have just as much of a fan-base as any main characters. The show can be funny, sad, awesome and rarely does it let up, except to catch its breath. There's never a concept that doesn't work and there's never a time where you aren't wondering about something. There's plenty of room for exploration and the author is always rewarding his long time watchers with regular nostalgia bombs and makes use of having a long-ass series with an interesting, sprawling world and mythos. The guy knows exactly what he's doing. Something that happens in Chapter 1 that gets shrugged off as nothing gets explained in detail in Chapter 597. He isn't making it long for the sake of making it long and he wants money, he's making it long because he wants to tell an epic. And epics tend to be long. The money just kind of happened. One Piece is the manga equivalent of Dragon Quest. Kids, adults, old people, there's something for all of them. Something about the simple dream of a 17 year old boy to be King of the Pirates and going to fantastic places, meeting uncanny characters and having enthralling adventures attracts people.

That, and it's super-special-awesome.

Back