• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Jamie Hubley, Gay 15-Year-Old Ottawa, Canada Teen Commits Suicide, Cites Depression,

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    I'm kinda disgusted with most of the people in this thread. It is so condescending for anyone to assume they know the first thing about what this specific boy was going through in his head, even if they have had depression themselves (which, by the comments I've read, I strongly suspect they have not). Everybody is different, every case is different, and to try and suggest that he could have looked further for help if he'd really wanted to live just makes my skin crawl.

Shame on all of you, how dare you disrespect his memory that way.

Also,

(=Nemesis=) said:
    I do think, though, that if people thought less about themselves and their own problems, and instead tried to help other people through theirs, maybe there would be less to be miserable about...

Oh my god. Wow, I don't even. I just. don't. even.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    I don't condone suicide.

I don't condone it because I know that nobody in their right mind would actually kill theirself. This does not mean I blame the ones who do commit suicide, because oftentimes they're not in the right state of mind. I encourage anyone who has suicidal thoughts to seek treatment for them...they're not natural.

With that being said, I realize that even the professionals fail sometimes to curb the depression enough to prevent suicide. It's not like you can put every depressed person on suicide watch 24/7.

In a sense yes, it's sad that someone commits suicide. It's fine for the media to mention these stories in passing from time to time to keep awareness up, but it's NOT COOL when they blow it out of proportions or use it to boost their ratings.

The main issue here is bullying, and it needs to stop. It needs to stop now. Ideally, there would be protesters at schools and places like that where people peacefully protest bullying, peacefully distribute materials against bullying and peacefully educate young people that bullying is not cool.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    All I'll say about that is that if you believe death to be a effective catalyst for change, you are more disturbed then I am.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2012
    You are right death is not an effective catalyst for change. But sometimes it hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. He was worth something, you don't need to be so harsh. I understand where you are coming from, but people just want to be LISTENED TO and UNDERSTOOD. This "tough love" bravado doesn't work too well when it comes to suicidal people. He could have handled this a lot better, he could have gotten all the help he needed and overcame his depression. But he didn't. That doesn't make him worthless, everyone and everything has worth. I can feel your strong anti-suicide sentiments, but you might fight hate with love, my good sir.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    And thats the point im trying to make.

He WAS worth something. But now that he has killed himself, he has no worth. After all, what good can a corpse do?

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
    Years
    In the last gay bullying thread I brought this up, but then the thread was closed because of flaming and homophobic remarks, but anyway, I think we can all agree that gay bullying, and bullying in general, is a major issue. Suicide is the third most common cause of death among teens next to homicide and driving accidents.

How can we help prevent teen suicide (in ways in which have not been explored)? How can we prevent gay teen suicide (in ways in which have not been explored) ? (the two answers may be the same)

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    The only way is to accept them for what they are, just people. Nothing special, just another person in the world. It matters not their race, sex, or sexual prefrence. In the end, they are all just people.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2012
    Disrespect him for killing himself, hate on him for taking the easy way out. But do not denounce his worth, for he is and always will have worth. The memory of him, that's an important memory to people. Thus, he has worth.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    As for his memory, I made my views on that subject very clear a few posts above.

Just breathing does not entitle you to being worth something. Its the actions that you do while breathing that give you worth. All we can judge his worth by is the fact that he killed himself. To me, that action is not worth anything. But if you consider suicide a worthwhile action, thats fine to.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    How can we help prevent teen suicide (in ways in which have not been explored)? How can we prevent gay teen suicide (in ways in which have not been explored) ?

The only real way is for people to accept that homosexuality is normal.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    The solution is easy to see. Sadly, there is no way that it can be implemented due to the flaws with humanity.

But, as for accepting it as normal (A solution of lesser scope then mine) that can never happen due to religion, and its hatred of homosexuality. I don't feel like going into my whole 'religion is crap' speech, but i'll say this. Religion has held back and is holding back numerous advancements that would be beneficial to humanity as a whole.

Back