• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

japanese names

Years
    (dunno if there is a thread for this yet)

anyone else such a nerd that they know some japanese names of pokemon? and are there ones that you prefer over the english names?

i prefer the japanese for scyther (strike)
    i also like the japanese fo r suicune (suikun), mew (myuu) and mewtwo (myuutsu).but these ones are pronounced very similar to the english names

Years
    i think the gardevoir is weird.
    seriously. Gardevoir wears a Dress.
    Its name 'gardevoir' in japanese is sirknight.
    srsly! a knight with a dress
    awesome! (sarcasm)
    its still quite.....cool.. in a weird way...

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    I know a few. But the ones that I most definitely prefer over the English names are Pokabu, Tsutarja, and Mijumaru.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    Aside from the half of GenV pokemon whose name I bothered to memorize (simply as a placeholder until official English names are released, of course) and pokemon whose names are roughly the same in both languages (like Pikachuu and Myuutsuu), I can name off the top of my head (in rough national dex order):
    Fushijibata
    Lizardon
    Zenigame
    Spear
    Pipi
    Purin
    Nyarth
    Kodakku
    Gardie
    Windie
    Utsobot
    Yadon
    Betbeton
    Ghost
    Matadogas
    Lucky
    Barrierd
    Strike
    Koiking
    Metamon
    Kobigon
    Kairyu

After looking at how many GenI pokemon I was able to list, I should just stop here so as to keep from looking like a total nerd. XD

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I know a fair few Japanese names, particularly the Sinnoh starters (Naetle, Hikozaru and Pochama for Turtwig, Chimchar and Piplup respectively).

Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2010
    Well, some are literal translations that look different, like Suicune (Suikun = Su-ee-koon), like what Timbjerr said.
    But I like Feraligatr's, which is Odairu, Ampharos's means "electric dragon" or Denryu, Jumpluff's is funny: Watakko, which once made one of my friends hungry. :3

inomoo221

Lv. 70 Pidgey
    Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2011
    Well... my username is Piloswine's japanese name so.... ahem, yeah..... also Yomawaru (Duskull).

Emperte

はがねタイプ
    Years
    I rather the Japanese names most of the time even though I know more English names. I find them to sound either cool or lulzsome. I mean, look at Magby and Magmar, Buby and Boober. When I first heard them in DP I lol'd so hard

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    I know Pikachu in Japanese.... Pikachu...

that's about it.

Hyperion09

fancy pretentious words
    Years
    BTW, is "Odairu" really the right way to write it in English?

"Ordile" is the trademarked romanization IIRC

This happens every generation; everyone claims the Japanese names to be superior, but eventually you get used to the English translation.

That said, I can remember pretty much every JP name for the G4 Pokémon because that was the first time I actually paid attention to new info as it was coming in (oh, the inforush was fun...).

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    I only know some (sorta, it's iffy) of the 5th gen because I have a japanese copy of it

Back