• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Japanese to English Name Change Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
  • This thread is for speculation on whether or not the names of "Pokemon Black 2" and "Pokemon White 2" will change when they are made in English. This can also be used to speculate changes on the name of the new forms of Kyurem.

For me, I feel that "Pokemon Black 2" and "Pokemon White 2" just seem a bit too plain. While I'm not fully sure what they might do, what I feel would be nice would be if they add some sort of creative subtitle to the game names. Since they're possibly direct sequels, adding subtitles to them would make sense. I'm not quite sure what they would be, but I'd like it if they did that.

With Kyurem's forms, I think the names will probably change in the same way the names of Reshiram's and Zekrom's stones had their names changed. Thus, I think Black Kyurem will become "Dark Kyurem" and White Kyurem will become "Light Kyurem."

What do you all think of this subject? Discuss!

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
    Years
  • OK, we have our English name speculation thread!

Anyway, we have our first confirmation: The English names of the games are indeed Pokémon Black Version 2 and Pokémon White Version 2. Given the use of "Version 2" in computing to signify updates to applications, this goes along with my two-third-versions theory pretty well.

Tachikaze

九番隊 // Earth-Severing Wind
    Years
  • Well that kinda wraps the thread up for awhile, not much left to speculate. XD

I do think they'll make some changes here and there. I do think they'll probably leave Black Kyurem and White Kyurem the way they are, though.

PokemonMasterX

Also known as MysteriexMKII basically everywhere e
    Years
  • I wish they'd reference the yin-yang-yuan triad they form. That could be used in Kyurem's formes (Basic forme: Yuan Kyurem w/ Zekrom: Yin Kyurem w/ Reshiram: Yang Kyurem, or something like that). But since Zekrom is the Deep Black Pokemon and Reshiram is the Vast White Pokemon in America, the names will most likely remain. My names would be more likely to appear in Japan, and we already know the names for Japan.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years

• As seen in this teaser trailer, Black Kyurem and White Kyurem are also confirmed as the English names of Kyurem's new Formes (if they can be called new "forms/Formes" at all). The official English Pokemon site also confirms this. I'm not sure if they're going to add anything with the "Forme" suffix later on, but this is what we have now... I'm a bit bummed, because "Black Kyurem" and "White Kyurem" just seem so plain. :< Simplicity can be nice at times, but IMO, the names are just too simple compared to past terms... I thought the English names would presumably take after the "Light/Dark" thing as well like the two Light/Dark Dragon Stones did, but apparently the original names are being kept.

Japanese to English Name Change Speculation

I'm thinking along the lines of how the Platinum Orb got renamed in English to the Griseous Orb. Something which attempts to preserve the intent of the original term while not making the reference too blatant/plain (yes, the Griseous Orb is more yellowish than mottled-gray, but it doesn't share the silvery-white color of the actual platinum element, either. In any case, the connotations of "gray/silver" are essentially retained via the English name).

Is there still hope for that "third stone" (the one that parallels the Light Stone and Dark Stone) that was hidden in coding to be renamed, or was it already given an actual English name?

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
    Years
  • The God Stone is its official English name.

The only potential B2/W2 related name remaining for now is N's full name, which is Natural Harmonia Gropius in Japan, as stated by Masuda. I expect the "Gropius" part to be dropped for the English releases, if his full name is mentioned at all.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    We're still a while off having enough information to properly discuss what you think the English > Japanese names are, and now we know that Black 2/White 2 and Black Kyurem/White Kyurem are staying the same in English, there's not really much to discuss. Once we get more information feel free to remake this thread later down the line/closer to the release, but as it is there isn't much to discuss. Plus you can bring up -if- you think N's name will be mentioned in B2/2W and if it'll change in the English versions in the thread regarding N's name @ B2W2. Otherwise yeah, wait a bit and I'm sure discussion will easily occur as the release gets closer.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back