• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Jaw and Sail Fossils

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    After you first get introduced to Team Flare and chase them off, you get to choose and take a fossil ranging from two selections--Sail and Jaw. With Sail Fossil, you could get your hands on Amaura; with Jaw, you're able to get a hold of Tyrunt. So, anyhow, which did you wind up picking, and why? Also, what are your overall opinion on these Pokémon--do you like them, or not so much? Share your thoughts!

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2014
    I picked Jaw, because I always go with what sounds more offensive. I hadnt actually looked up what I would be getting with either one.

When I got the fossil into a pokemon, I realized Id lucked out, as I had been hearing great things about that little t rex guy, I love pokes that pack a punch. But then I never even used him. Instead I got amaura in wonder trade and ended up using it all the way up to the elite 4. Only now, 70 hours into the game, am I even bothering to level up my tyrunt.

Years
  • I chose Sail since Amaura was cute and my boyfriend was going with Jaw. Overall these are some of my favorite fossils but unfortunately my Amaura ended up being male and I was too lazy to breed a new one so it never made it onto my team. ):

Years
  • I chose Sail since Amaura was cute and my boyfriend was going with Jaw. Overall these are some of my favorite fossils but unfortunately my Amaura ended up being male and I was too lazy to breed a new one so it never made it onto my team. ):

I went with the Sail Fossil as well because I like Amaura's design, and even though mine was male (yeah it was a dude) I still used him for a bit. Refrigerate is a pretty cool ability I gotta admit since it made me actually want to use Normal-type moves on him. I currently gave my Aurorus the move Round so that he had something that would get the boost.

Years
  • When I first played through X, I picked the Sail Fossil, but never used it. I've used Tyrantrum in two Y playthroughs before - a normal playthrough and a Red Mono-Color. It did me pretty well, even if it had a lot of weaknesses.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
    Years
  • I picked the Jaw Fossil as my husband already picked the sail fossil.
    Out of them both I prefer Tyrunt because T-rexs are cooler that what whatever Amaura
    is based on.

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
    Years
  • I liked Aurorus's design but I ended up regretting choosing Sail. Ended up being my weakest Pokemon due to its absolutely terrible typing - the worst in the Pokemon universe. 4x weak to Fighting and Steel; 2x weak to Grass, Rock, Water, and Ground; no immunities to compensate for multiple weaknesses; and only resistant to Normal, Flying, Poison, and Ice. Almost everything had a move that could cause significant damage to it in a rather easy game already. That 4x to Fighting alone was particularly painful, even in-game. Yes, the game was easy, but this was the one mistake I made. Never. Again.

When Z comes out, I'm going Jaw and having a Tyrantrum on my team then.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    When I got to that point on my Y, I picked the Jaw fossil. Like I said in the favorite Kalos pokes thread, Tyrantrum is my favorite 6th gen Pokemon. I do like Amaura/Aurorus as well. It is friggin' adorable. It's too bad Tyrantrum still doen't have Rock Head and Aurorus has such terrible defensive typing (but ironically good offensive typing).

PSNGhost

God-Emperor
    Years
  • I Nuzlocked my way through X, and Amaura's horrible typing made it a big no-no, so I went Jaw, and although Tyrantrum is a friggin' badass, and I picked him, I like Aurorus much better.

Years
  • I chose both because I liked both fossils and have a tendency to pick out both if I have two games! Went with Sail in both playthroughs of Y and Jaw in both playthroughs of X. I also used Amaura/Aurorus in both playthroughs and Tyrunt/Tyrantrum in my first playthrough. Both were definitely plenty good in battle, though Aurorus's typing was a bit of a pain to deal with sometime. In terms of battling, Tyrantrum did way better, but I love Aurorus's design much more.

Years
  • I was really pleased when the fossil pokemon were leaked this generation. I chose Amaura in game, but Tyrunt didn't make the decision easy. In almost all of the games prior to X and Y, the choice between fossils was made easily because I heavily favored one over the other. In this case, it was only a slight tilt towards Amaura. If I ever play through the games again, and I do plan on it when I have the time, I'll probably go with Tyrunt to try him out. n__n

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I was going with Sail Fossil, and the Pokemon which came from it, Amaura, is pretty cute. Not to mention its ability Refrigerator which is awesome as well.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I think they both looked awesome, but I chose the Sail fossil because, as most people put it, Amaura is adorable. And Aurorus is purdy. c: Even if they're mostly dudes.

As much as I like the designs, I regret not going with Tyrunt because the Rock/Dragon typing just would have been more useful to my team, and eventually I ended up boxing Aurorus after level 50 or so.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2015
    I picked Jaw, because I always go with what sounds more offensive. I hadnt actually looked up what I would be getting with either one.

When I got the fossil into a pokemon, I realized Id lucked out, as I had been hearing great things about that little t rex guy, I love pokes that pack a punch. But then I never even used him. Instead I got amaura in wonder trade and ended up using it all the way up to the elite 4. Only now, 70 hours into the game, am I even bothering to level up my tyrunt.

Like you, I also went with jaw and also I didn't look it up either but with every game, I dont really use the fossil pokemon at all, in-fact I just breed them and trade them on

oshimas

소중한 이 내 맘 모두 나 그대에게
    Years
  • i chose the sail fossil cause amaura was too darn cute to pass up. even if it's typing wasn't the most desirable. i might try getting the jaw fossil the next time i replay x. and test out tyrunt in battle, cause i've heard a lot of good things about it.

εcho.

The silver ninetales
    Years
  • I went with the Sail Fossil. I thought Amaura was so adorable and couldn't wait to use her.
    Tyrunt was cute too, I picked him in my first Y playthrough.

I thought they did a really good job of both fossils this time around.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I took the Jaw Fossil in both X and Y; Amaura has too many common weaknesses to make me not want to use it.

Back