• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Judge/Improve My Team!

MegaBiscuit123

MegaBiscuit
Years
  • So I've recently become interested in competitive battling, but I have no clue where to start. I made a team and tried using it on the smogon battle simulator, and it doesn't exactly work... So here it is!
    Baton Passer
    Ninjask
    Light Powder
    Speed Boost
    Timid Nature
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Spe
    Harden
    Swords Dance
    Baton Pass
    Roost

Hazer
    Weezing
    Black Sludge
    Levitate
    Lax Nature
    Evs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpA
    Venoshock
    Toxic Spikes
    Clear Smog
    Explosion

Special Sweeper
    Greninja
    Life Orb
    Protean
    Timid Nature
    Evs: 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
    Hydro Pump
    Ice Beam
    Extrasensory
    Dark Pulse

Wall/Cleric
    Blissey
    Leftovers
    Natural Cure
    Bold Nature
    Evs: 4 HP/252 Def/252 SpD
    Soft-Boiled
    Heal Bell
    Seismic Toss
    Light Screen

Special Sweeper
    (Mega) Alakazam
    Alakazite
    Magic Guard/Trace
    Timid Nature
    Evs: 4 HP/ 252 SpA/252 Spe
    Psychic
    Focus Blast
    Taunt
    Shadow Ball

Spinner
    Sandslash
    Earth Plate/Soft Sand
    Any Ability
    Jolly Nature
    Evs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Swords Dance
    Earthquake
    Stone Edge
    Rapid Spin

Anybody care to take a stab at it? I'm open to all suggestions, especially replacing team members, items, evs, and natures. Just leave a comment with whatever advice you have. The advice would be much appreciated!

JustJeff

Striving for Rank #1
    Years
  • I would recommend a Talonflame! :D Annoying everyone w/ it! So much fun!

Talonflame @ Choice Band
    Ability: Gale Wings
    Nature: Adamant
    Ev's: 252 Attk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    ~Brave Bird
    ~Flare Blitz
    ~Will-O-Wisp
    ~U-Turn

You would want an odd number of HP for if you switch it in Stealth Rocks, you live with 51% Hp! And also, try not to switch it in Stealth Rocks. So always run a Defogger or Spinner when using a Talonflame~

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Scolipede > Ninjask. Its defensive typing is less crippling to get Baton Passing done and it's also bulkier:
    -Substitute
    -Protect
    -Baton Pass
    -Swords Dance/Iron Defense/Megahorn
    Nature: Timid/Jolly
    EVs: 248 HP/20 Def/240 Spe
    Item: Mental Herb
    Ability: Speed Boost

There are better Pokemon than Weezing out there. If you want to stop setup sweepers, use Mandibuzz, Skarmory (both learn Whirlwind to force out stat-uppers) or Amoonguss (learns Clear Smog as an offensive form of Haze), but take note that the latter shares weaknesses with Scolipede:

Mandibuzz:
    -Foul Play
    -Roost
    -Taunt/Whirlwind
    -Knock Off/Toxic/Defog
    Nature: Impish/Bold
    EVs: 248 HP/136 Def/108 SDef/16 Spe
    Item: Leftovers
    Abiilty: Overcoat

Skarmory (this is a Showdown! team, at least; Defog Skarmory is pretty hard to get a hold of in cartridges):
    -Roost
    -Defog
    -Whirlwind/Taunt/Brave Bird
    -Toxic/Stealth Rock/Counter/Brave Bird
    Nature: Bold/Impish
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
    Item: Leftovers/Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Sturdy

Amoonguss:
    -Spore
    -Giga Drain
    -Clear Smog/Sludge Bomb
    -Hidden Power (Fire/Ice)/Sludge Bomb
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252 HP/228 Def/28 SDef
    Item: Black Sludge
    Ability: Regenerator

Light Screen is a subpar option on Blissey; its special bulk is great already. Its pre-evolution, Chansey, is better in most cases, as it has better bulk factoring in Eviolite. However, both are better suited to stall teams and this team isn't one. I think Sylveon is a better candidate, as it packs some form of offensive presence in Pixilated Hyper Voices (Pixilate turns all Normal moves into Fairy ones and powers them up by 30%):
    -Wish
    -Protect
    -Hyper Voice
    -Heal Bell
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252 HP/216 Def/40 SDef
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Pixilate

Mega Alakazam can get away with a Modest nature because with Modest, it still outspeeds what it needs to outspeed, such as Greninja and Theiran Tornadus. That, and Timid Mega Alakazam hits slightly less harder than Timid Life Orb regular Alakazam.

Excadrill > Sandslash, simply because Sandslash is slower and weaker than Excadrill:
    Excadrill:
    -Earthquake
    -Iron Head
    -Rapid Spin
    -Rock Slide/Stealth Rock
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Leftovers/Air Balloon
    Ability: Mold Breaker

or
    -Earthquake
    -Iron Head
    -Rock Slide
    -Rapid Spin
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe (Choice Scarf) or 120 HP/136 Atk/252 SDef (Assault Vest; Adamant only)
    Item: Choice Scarf/Assault Vest
    Ability: Mold Breaker

MegaBiscuit123

MegaBiscuit
    Years
  • PlatinumDude, could you PM me? I have lots of questions. I seriously have no clue what I'm doing! I don't even recognize some phrases you used{XD} But I really want to get into this, so I'd really love and appreciate the help! And Scolipede in hindsight seems much better than Ninjask. Ninjasks defenses are so bad and it is weak to a lot of common types. And I also prefer not to use too many pokemon of the same type.. So would you suggest Mandibuzz, Skarmory, or Talonflame? I know they play different roles, but still.. And really, don't be afraid to be mean or critical or anything!

Last edited:
    Back