• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Game Idea] Junji Ito (Horror) inspired Pokemon Fan Game

espurrgamer

espurr
Years
  • Hello!

So I have had this idea in my head ever since I played Pokemon black back when it first came out. If you are familiar with Junji Ito's work, hopefully you'll like what I have to say!

If you're not familiar with Junji Ito, he's a horror manga artist/storyteller that has a very distinct style, both of art and storytelling. Now, I'm not suggesting that we make some sort of gruesome, body-horror type game where it's only about pokemon dying. I'm not looking for that kind of grim-dark, ceepy-pasta like edgy for the sake of being edgy game where everything that's cutesy dies horribly and such. I don't think that's a game I'd be interested in, despite being into horror. Rather, I think a game that is very atmospheric and more of a thriller would be awesome. Basically, Pokemon mysteries or vignettes (of which I already have planned out) that are like horror stories, but with a strong focus on the bond the person and the pokemon has with each other.

Because I like the deep emotional ties that pokemon and trainers share. I love interacting with pokemon and forming a close bond with them. And I love to see it universally shown in the trainers around me too. That being said, I understand pokemon is for kids, and can't delve into darker or more mysterious topics that are complex, like popular Horror RPG type games (think Death Mark, Coma and Coma 2: Vicious Sister, Doki Doki Literature Club, Wolf Among Us, Corpse Party, and stuff like that). I think having, for example, a mysterious yamask haunting a museum, and the player character and their partner pokemon must brave through spooks to solve the mystery of what had happened to that yamask, and it is found out that it used to be a human archeologist who was killed by her fellow archeologist so he could take credit for her discovery, and now she wants justice. The atmosphere can be scary and mysterious, and dark in tone, but still contain the charm that the pokemon universe already has. For example, I would not like to make the player or the partner pokemon canonically die, and if they loose their health they would faint or black out like normal pokemon games. It could also take place in places we are familiar with (Kanto, Sinnoh, Unova, etc.) to add into the horror of something scary taking place in something that is usually so inviting.

I think this could be especially cool because Pokemon already has some spooky elements, and this could simply expand on those ideas!

I am more than willing to help out with any part of the process that I can (I do not know how to code but I can storyboard, write dialogue, do spritework, etc)

Please contact me if interested! :)

Back