• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Just Beginning...

xThreexDx

Needs Help With His Hack
    Years
    I'm absolutely brand new to hacking. I've messed around on Advance Map a bit, but that's the extent of my knowledge. I've got the base of my story written and I've got some stuff sketched out, but I have no idea where to even start my hack. Help? Please?

Cello

Tonight!
    Years
    The good thing about hacking is you can start wherever you feel most comfortable, but it does require that you plan ahead.

Mapping requires that you know what you want your world to look like,
    Scripting requires that you know exact locations of everything you plan on using in the script your writing,
    so on and so forth.

I suggest you start by doing quick sketches of maps and place them side-by-side to see how your region will look. That way, once you have your mapping done, all you need to do is accomplish the scripting and replace any sprites/graphics, put it all together, and it'll be ready to go.

sab

Now too much of a life.
    Years
    Start by mapping and then learn basic scripting. Then try to make some basic talking scripts and such. Next look around the R&D and Toolbox sections for tools having to do with battles and sprite changers. After that you should probably learn some more advanced scripting and maybe even begin to learn about how all the hex fits together. From there you can pretty much do watever you want, because the only thing you shouldn't know then is asm. You don't really need to learn asm but you should at least try.

aguinn99

Im a firin mah lazor
    Years
    Start by mapping and then learn basic scripting. Then try to make some basic talking scripts and such. Next look around the R&D and Toolbox sections for tools having to do with battles and sprite changers. After that you should probably learn some more advanced scripting and maybe even begin to learn about how all the hex fits together. From there you can pretty much do watever you want, because the only thing you shouldn't know then is asm. You don't really need to learn asm but you should at least try.
    I agree.start with mapping and so on. I do not really no anything about it but i recommend getting info from people like these.

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
    Years
    well i would say follow these steps:
    storyline
    tiles and insertion
    pokemon or fakemons and insertion
    OWs and insertion
    mapping
    scripting
    special stuff like title screen and world map and stuff.......

WHY ??? cause you're gonna need your custom tiles in mapping, and if you insert them without replacing old ones, it'll be really hard to re-map. so insert all stuff first... that's always best.... you see the part 1 and part 2 in my sig...... those are links to my tutorial to teach about all of the above excep the special stuff. i hope this helped.....

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
    Years
    My own personal way to plan for a hack goes as follows...
    Story Planning
    Feature Planning
    Region Map Design
    Individual Map Design
    Pokemon Design *If any*
    Character Design
    Tile Design
    Tile Creation
    Map Creation
    Sprite Creation
    Music Design
    Music Creation
    Miscellaneous Graphic Design
    Miscellaneous Graphic Creation
    Tile Insertion
    Map Creation (Insertion)
    Sprite Insertion
    Sprite Placement
    Miscellaneous Graphic Insertion
    Music Insertion

Mind you I often make small changes and edits along the way.
    ALWAYS be sure to backup your ROM often, and most importantly, have fun with it.

Divider

Grand Master Johto Champion
    Years
    My method is to tackle the hard stuff right off the bat.
    I started with Editing the Title Screen. D-Trough's NTME is a Must-have tool for rom hacking. I would start with Just getting the picture to show up correctly, then work on getting your Color Scheme. This way you have a good solid rom to work with, without worrying about corruption Later on in the rom.

They I would jump into scripting, scripting is extremely bothersome, It's not that it's hard. It's just very Repetitive and the slightest mistake can ruin the entire script into going back into debug.

Mapping is without a doubt the easiest to learn, tile insertion can be a pain, but mappers are easy to come by. Scripters are the hard one's to find.

My Advice, Learn the hardest parts, that makes you the guy in charge. You'll need more than just basic ideas, you'll need a whole storyline. Otherwise, how can you tell someone what to work on, if you have no idea what's next?

Back