• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Just squick, and the ads are there

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
  • You kidding? If they offered this on computers with reduced prices to compensate, I would actually consider buying an Apple, something which is completely out of my price range at the moment.

mewthree w/armor

The Stig - PC Site Admin
    Years
  • Boy I hope is for Quicktime so we can kill that god-awful client. Nice to see Jobs is trying to make some money for himself...er Apple...er Windows eventually...Er Bill Gates.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    What the heck? How do you manage an OS with Adware? That is plainly ridiculous and yes, hell would break loose if Microsoft went the same way :(

...Oh well, there is always UNIX.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • Boy I hope is for Quicktime so we can kill that god-awful client. Nice to see Jobs is trying to make some money for himself...er Apple...er Windows eventually...Er Bill Gates.
    If they did that, they'd make it a different version than the standard QuickTime (and it certainly wouldn't be in QT Pro).

Obi-Wan Jerkobi

Great Party!
    Years
  • So much for the "all about elegance" style of the macintosh line. It certainly won't be enjoyful having adultfriendfinder popping up on my grandmother's Mac Mini.

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
  • Considering this was simply a patent revelation and the patent was filed in 2008, I think there is a very slim chance this will ever happen from Apple. It just doesn't fit into their style. Microsoft I could see doing this for some easy revenue. I mean they could easily sell a computer running that at around $99 and still make profit from the ads or someone buying a full upgrade OS to replace the Advertisement-ridden one.
    Linux is free anyway, so there would be no gain from anyone other than maybe Dell or someone who ships Ubuntu on their netbooks.

Years
  • Considering this was simply a patent revelation and the patent was filed in 2008, I think there is a very slim chance this will ever happen from Apple. It just doesn't fit into their style. Microsoft I could see doing this for some easy revenue. I mean they could easily sell a computer running that at around $99 and still make profit from the ads or someone buying a full upgrade OS to replace the Advertisement-ridden one.
    Linux is free anyway, so there would be no gain from anyone other than maybe Dell or someone who ships Ubuntu on their netbooks.
    Hah, I doubt this will happen. It's mainly the hardware that you're paying for anyway, no? Besides, people will be guaranteed to hack and implement some sort of ad-blocker.

I can't see Canonical or the Ubuntu community supporting ads being shipped with Ubuntu. Hell, you should have seen the uproar when they suggested the option for proprietry products as optional add-ons in a program store. Ads aren't going to happen there, either.

In some ways, I can't see how why they would grab the rights to the idea to prevent other companies from making it. If Microsoft tried putting ads in their systems, that's going to be great advertising for people to switch away from Windows.

Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2016
    I really don't think that the regular Mac OS will be ad-supported -- ever. If they do implement it, it'll be for "Mac OS lite" or something, and for a considerably low amount.

Not a good idea under any circumstances, though.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    Personally I hate the idea. Plus advertising for the internet age is still in its infancy. Marketers still have ****** ideas of how to get their ads across. I mean, who actually clicks AdSense? Mostly computer illiterate people who don't know better :<

Unless Apple could revolutionize ad serving, we might see 'Buy _______ on eBay!' or 'Dating Services for Apple G33KS'.

Even though I bought an iPod Touch, I still do not favor Apple's 'innovations' as far as digital rights go and having an OS that is served some sort of ad could have a different sort of TOS.

Years
  • I've never studied any sort of business and I don't think you have to study such a stupid subject to know that a lot of money goes into advertising. This shows you how greedy some rich people in the world have become. I would expect this open source operating system but apple? This is just way too surprising!

Back