• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Just started playing.... WOW

Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2014
    I just picked up X for the first time and I'm on Route 5. So far, WOW! I love it! The battle style, rate at which my team is building levels (EXP Share is a big player so far) and the graphics have all blown me away.

What were your first thoughts when playing the game?

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I was crazy excited for X & Y's release, I remember staying up until midnight and the day before when that Canadian guy was leaking gameplay pics on Instagram. When I got the game I was playing it non-stop that weekend and literally everyone was hyped, even my co-worker called me just to talk about the game and how many badges we got and which Pokémon we caught, and all the new stuff about it.

It was an extremely refreshing feeling to me, especially after Gen V left me pretty disappointed.

Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2014
    I was crazy excited for X & Y's release, I remember staying up until midnight and the day before when that Canadian guy was leaking gameplay pics on Instagram. When I got the game I was playing it non-stop that weekend and literally everyone was hyped, even my co-worker called me just to talk about the game and how many badges we got and which Pokémon we caught, and all the new stuff about it.

It was an extremely refreshing feeling to me, especially after Gen V left me pretty disappointed.

That's how I feel right now! I'm spending an hour in each route just catching Pokemon...something I hadn't done in previous generations. There are just so many different 'mons in each area!

I can't get wait to discover the breeding, shiny, etc madness....

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    That's how I feel right now! I'm spending an hour in each route just catching Pokemon...something I hadn't done in previous generations. There are just so many different 'mons in each area!

I can't get wait to discover the breeding, shiny, etc madness....

Yes, I did that too! I got Y version shortly after I got X version and I got the free digital copy of X version back in March during the Club Nintendo promo, and each time I spend so long on each route just exploring it with the beefed up new graphics and the ridiculous amount of Pokémon available in each route now. I love how we have so many options to customize our teams.

Oblivion Wing

IGN: Havel 3DS Friend Code: 5215-3694-9757
    Years
    I got both x and y. Ive sunk over 250+ hours easy and so has my wife (yes, im legally, and happily married lol), she only got y. And we both love it. She only played pokemon red, and my favorite nostalgia would always be silver. But this has been such a great instalment. Easy 9/10 imo, cant wait for ORAS, though.

X and Y is a fantastic pokemon game for the old pokegamer, and the new consumer. No disappointment in any aspect.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    X and Y were honestly great, and loved nearly each and every one of their aspect. One of my most favorite would have to be mega-evolutions system; searching for mega-stones, put them onto Pokémon, and have them switch their form during battles is pretty cool, if you ask me! Currently, I'm a huge fan of Mega-Tyranitar; it looks very fierce. Alongside, I also quite like Charizard Y. X is okay, but its color scheme doesn't exactly seem to fit, unfortunately. If it weren't black and blue, I'm sure it would've looked better.

Pokémon-Amie is pretty cool, too. Though, I kind of wish it had following Pokémon feature incorporated, since, after all, they're pretty similar. Only thing I disliked about these games is story-line for me--and for most others, I'm sure--was too short. If it were more elaborating and slow-paced, it would have been a lot more enjoyable. They shouldn't have rushed it when it came to that.

Years
    After having heard a lot of people who were unhappy with certain features of the X/Y games it's very refreshing listening to your enthusiasm I must say haha :)

My reaction was pretty much the same as yours, with my wee mind being blown by the fact that you could ACTUALLY sit on benches and seats, as well as the ability to move diagonally lol :)

Years
    My take here was rather interesting. I almost didn't really even want to get the game at first because I didn't see what would have been so special about it save people raving about 3D. That is, until I saw its gigantic variety, I mean over 400 Pokémon before beating the game? That is nice. Leveling up with the Exp. Share I did have fun with, not to mention the character customization. But I didn't waste much time in jumping into the challenger's front after I beat it. They're not quite my favorites in the series but they're high up alright.

Vinny Vidi Vici

Leave Luck To Heaven
    Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    You just started playing WOW? Quickly cancel your subscription before you get addicted! {XD}

In all seriousness though, it's cool that people are still getting this game 9 months down the line. I know a lot of people are reluctant to go out and get a 3DS if pokemon is the only thing they're interested in, but I honestly think with X/Y and the Hoenn remakes coming out soon, if you love pokemon, you just have to get on board. With wifi battles and battle spot, the games really do provide and infinite amount of entertainment and for me as a long time fan of the series, it's great that we've finally got the 3D pokemon adventure that we've all been waiting for. This is the sort of thing I literally dreamt about as a 7 year old kid, and I'm reminded of it every time I boot up the game, so while X/Y is lacking a bit in some respects, postgame in particular, I can't bring myself to complain because the transition to 3D is so overwhelmingly impressive, and that was the thing they really needed to get right.

Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2014
    I got both x and y. Ive sunk over 250+ hours easy and so has my wife (yes, im legally, and happily married lol), she only got y. And we both love it. She only played pokemon red, and my favorite nostalgia would always be silver. But this has been such a great instalment. Easy 9/10 imo, cant wait for ORAS, though.

X and Y is a fantastic pokemon game for the old pokegamer, and the new consumer. No disappointment in any aspect.

Agreed! I bought it yesterday and put 8 hours into it and realized I never saved and turned it off once...Yikes. lol

Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2014
    You just started playing WOW? Quickly cancel your subscription before you get addicted! {XD}

In all seriousness though, it's cool that people are still getting this game 9 months down the line. I know a lot of people are reluctant to go out and get a 3DS if pokemon is the only thing they're interested in, but I honestly think with X/Y and the Hoenn remakes coming out soon, if you love pokemon, you just have to get on board. With wifi battles and battle spot, the games really do provide and infinite amount of entertainment and for me as a long time fan of the series, it's great that we've finally got the 3D pokemon adventure that we've all been waiting for. This is the sort of thing I literally dreamt about as a 7 year old kid, and I'm reminded of it every time I boot up the game, so while X/Y is lacking a bit in some respects, postgame in particular, I can't bring myself to complain because the transition to 3D is so overwhelmingly impressive, and that was the thing they really needed to get right.

I picked up the games as I am attempting to finish my collection of owning all of the games (creating the custom GBA cases from DS models was the most fun DIY I've ever done) and am glad I did.

Do you think the lack of post game is what caused the rush of Shiny Hunters/ Perfect IV breeders? I think some of it can be a little overboard but it's also cool that trianers can take on the roles of what they might have been in the 'mon world. Someone who could connect with a breeding character can experience that on a deeper level.

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
    I remember being so excited when I first started playing Pokemon X, too. {<3} I loved the wide variety of pokemon, the nostalgic callbacks to the previous generations, and everything about Pokemon Amie from petting to mini-games. And I loved being able to discover the mega evolutions as I played.

Even if the post-game had story mode, I still would have gotten into perfect IV breeding afterwards. Not because I like to think of myself as a breeder, but because now that it's much easier than in previous generations to breed and because there were more online play options.

Years
    Even if the post-game had story mode, I still would have gotten into perfect IV breeding afterwards. Not because I like to think of myself as a breeder, but because now that it's much easier than in previous generations to breed and because there were more online play options.

Yeah, I agree with this. Some people have said the post-game is rather small, but I got really hooked on breeding for a while because of how easy it was made with the Destiny Knot. I don't battle competitively, but I still like to collect Pokémon that are fun to breed and sometimes use them in the Battle Maison. It's more enjoyable here than it ever has been, surely.

Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2014
    Yeah, I agree with this. Some people have said the post-game is rather small, but I got really hooked on breeding for a while because of how easy it was made with the Destiny Knot. I don't battle competitively, but I still like to collect Pokémon that are fun to breed and sometimes use them in the Battle Maison. It's more enjoyable here than it ever has been, surely.

I caught a Male and Female Eevee earlier today, so I think I'll start breeding on a small scale now : )

Years
    My first thought was the 3D graphics too, was impressed by all the new animations and models. Although I have just finished the game and felt the story was a let down, I still think the game did so much right, like make competitive battling and trading much more accessible and player customization. I think that alone makes up for most of its flaws.

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2022

The game has made me never want to look at Black/White B/W 2 ever again in terms of graphics (I'm still playing Soul Silver on and off at the moment as I have never 100% finished it, stopped at around 14 badges or something didn't know how to get last 2 and just stopped playing for whatever reason). The online is actually usable and fun makes the old games look horrible by comparison. The breeding changes were a great feature, makes it very possible to make 'legit' competitive Pokemon now. Catching them all is kind of the only meaningful post game (which is large considering it would take at least 10 hours to get another 600 pokemon) after getting mega stones and doing Looker missions. Ooh and character customization was a move in the right direction.

About people getting a 3DS thinking getting pokemon is the only reason to get it was what put me off wanting to get a 3DS and play X/Y but I eventually made myself buy one in November last year, anyone that has a 3DS needs to get 'Mario 3D Land', haven't enjoyed a mario game as much since Super Mario Bros Deluxe (for GameBoy). There are a few other games I plan on buying eventually (LOZ Ocarina of Time, Mario Kart 7 and when they come out Alpha Sapphire, Super Smash Bros, Lego Batman 3) as well as a couple old DS games that I have only ever played on a TTDS (New Mario Bros, Space Invaders Extreme 2, PMD Explorers of Sky and maybe Super Mario 64 + Lego Batman 1) also the older games available on the Nintendo Store have some cool games like the Original Tetris for GB (love the Tetris theme to bits).

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
    My only complaints about XY are the fact that the game is generally very easy and there's very little post-game content.

Otherwise, XY is pretty awesome. I was disappointed with Gen V, but Gen VI got off to a flying start. The new 3D environment, the shift from sprites, the superb Kalos pokedex and the new music (GOODNESS. They still sound incredible to this day!).

I'm positive the framerate problems and some other issues (like the damage lag after animated moves) will be fixed in later Gen VI games, hopefully in ORAS. XY was a great introduction of pokemon to the 3DS and is one terrific game money can buy. That is, until a Z version or a sequel is out.

Last edited:

Laylaw

"Smell ya later!" - Blue
    Years
    I pre-ordered X&Y and played it for days once I got it.

The graphics seem to get better and better, I can't for a clean 3D Pokémon game, where it isn't that pixelated.

One thing I don't like, though, is the mega evolutions. Why make already overpowered Pokémon even more OP?

Back