• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

~Just the Classics~ Original 151 Fan Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
  • As activity is picking back up in this club, so are my updates! Everything's been updated, including your new partner, classiccartoonsftw. Also, we have our first new banner/userbar in quite some time, submitted by Bonfire411, which has been added to the OP and can now be freely used.

Remember, EVERYONE is free to open new topics in this club. ;) I'm currently kinda drawing a blank for new topics. Feel free to revive some of our much older topics that have not been touched on for a while.

Sector

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Ohio
    • Seen Oct 10, 2016
    Yes, activity is coming back to life! Which also means, I want a new Partner Pokemon! I only saw two people with Mewtwo's, I want the last one!! :) (Oh and his name is 'Saturn')

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
  • I am more annoyed with geodude, really. I mean, i could easily outrun Zubat, bu Geodude. Those rocks gives high exp, and I am tempted to kill those. But high defense. sheesh.

Zubat wise, I am not annoyed as most guys. In fact, i actually love seeing a Zubat in caves. i though, I just really love that line.

arbok

cobra pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Since when do we have Zubat as the POTW?

Here's a new topic.

How annoyed are you with Zubat?
    because Zubat is cool.
    I really don't get too annoyed with Zubats. I just get annoyed with the encounter rate sometimes. At least in a cave you have a larger range of wild pokemon. Zubat, Geodude, Machop, Onix and so on. At sea however.... so many Tentacool....

miltankRancher

Years
  • because Zubat is cool.
    I really don't get too annoyed with Zubats. I just get annoyed with the encounter rate sometimes. At least in a cave you have a larger range of wild pokemon. Zubat, Geodude, Machop, Onix and so on. At sea however.... so many Tentacool....

This. I am frankly more annoyed with Tentacool, since they look bad. Unlike tentacruel. Zubat, on the other hand, looks really good! And it evolves to a far more superior pokemon.

Unknown#

'Cause why not?
    Years
  • Some people have nicknamed Tentacool the Zubat of the sea. However I think that should be reversed because Tentacool is much more annoying than Zubat.

And this brings up the question, which do you think is more annoying, Zubat or Tentacool?

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
  • I've updated everything, members! That includes your new partner, Sector.

New topic: Do you find the general simplicity of the designs of the original 151 appealing?

For me, yes. While these designs may be simple compared to newer generations, we need to remember that when these 151 were designed, we had no other Pokemon to compare them to and judge their appearance. Thus, they appealed to us. Simple, but appealing. That's one of the things I like about the original 151.

miltankRancher

Years
  • The first generation for me had the most simple and yet very elegant designs (discounting a few pokemon.) Their concepts also were really simple. A mouse, a caterpillar, a rock, a starfish, a duck, some birds, a rat, a turtle etc. The inspiration behind the designs is what appealed to me. Simple, real, unneeding of other props. They had it all.

NightOfRemorse

my anxieties have anxieties
    Years
  • I find the simplicity of the first generation "cute". Like when a child draws a picture, they draw the simple cat on green grass with a bright yellow sun above. Simple, yet charming.

I think the simplicity also has something to do with the fact that Pokémon was based off of Satoshi Tajiri's bug collecting. I mean, if you start at that point you'd probably only plan to base them off of realistic animals and not make them too complex. Then, when the fandom grew, change was obviously bound to happen so the designs were created more complex as a result so that it would keep everybody's interest.

Years
  • I reckon they were the best designs, so simple yet amazing. I really love the concept of Magikarp and Gyarados how they were based off an old legend. The starters were some of the best designed especially Charizard and Blastoise(It's a tortoise with cannons people!)Mewtwo a Humanoid/Catlike looking creature, With both human DNA and Mew's. Aerodactyl is awesome, based off one of my favourite dinosaurs. Scyther made praying mantis's cool again and Snorlax is so awesome :D
    Some designs were ugh like Golbat, Bellsprout/Weepinbell and Jynx.

miltankRancher

Years
  • I agree with Night of Remorse. hey never thought that the fandom will grow so they probably thought "Hey, why overthink? Let's just make this critters simple." So they made it to at least resemble real life animals 75%. They manage to redesign some of the common animals in the world to cute monsters. When the fandom grew they need to differentiate to keep the players interested.

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
  • Alright, I've updated the points. New topic: What is your favorite of the original 5 Legendary Pokemon?

For me, it was a tough choice, but I'd have to go with Mewtwo. Even today, Mewtwo dominates the Uber tier, only being outclassed in Sp. Atk. by Deoxys-A. I also like his backstory, and his story through the first movie. I like the fact that he got a new signature move with Generation V, Psystrike.

ナギ

P r e p a r e .
    Years
  • EDIT: AHAHAHA.. INDIGO PLATEAU.
    i'm an idiot, i didn't join this club yet. sorry. i will now. just a sec while i get my SU up.

NAME: hiinotama
    FAVE GEN I POKÉMON: Golduck/Slowbro/Vileplume/Wartortle/Kingler/Snorlax. and usually the prevolutions are included. c:
    PARDNER: Kookie the Kingler.

SIMPLICITY APPEALING?
    i definitely think the simplicity of the first generation is a big - if not the biggest - part of its appeal. the pokémon are so awesome for the exact reason that they're so recognizable. also i think the first generation is the one that based most of its pokémon on legends and folktales, and i like that a lot as well.
    agreeing with pretty much all that was said before; later generations had to keep pulling people in, so they of course have to make the pokémon more and more 'outrageous' to keep them original. even if it means making them slightly retarded.
    ... still, even in gen 1 there were ones like that. i didn't like Jynx too much, for one..

FAVE LEGENDARY?
    mine is Articuno, hands down. somehow Mew/Mewtwo never appealed to me, and the other legendary birds look cool, but Articuno is just the awesomest. its design is the most beautiful IMO, AND it's an ICE-type, which happens to be one of my all-time favourites. c:

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back