• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Just Whining: Bug types. Need to be changed?

Years
    • Seen Aug 31, 2012
    Hey guys, I think that some of the Bug-types resistances etc need to be changed as it is a seriously weak type. I know a lot of you will most probably disagree with me and probably think it stupid to change after 4 generations of it being the same, but bug-type pokemon are at a severe disadvantage, being weak attackers against so many different types (6) whilst only hitting hard against 3 - Grass, Psychic and Dark.

They're weak to rock, fire and flying, which are all very often used movetypes, and resistant to ground, grass and fighting. But the problem with this is that almost all ground pokemon have either a big rock movepool or are rock dualtypes, and therefore can easily claim the super effective hit anyway.

Another problem of this is how often there are dualtypes such as grass-poison, which means that a would-be super effective attack only does regular damage.
    I think the bug type is a type that, on paper, only looks very slightly worse than the other types, but upon closer examination and thought the bug-type's resistances, weaknesses, super-effective hits etc are very, very easily countered by dualtypes and single types that have lots of moves of another type (e.g. ground, with rock).
    All it's weaknesses are really common movetypes (With the possible exception of fire).
    I think there just has to be something added to the bug-type to boost it up just a little, because at the moment I see it as waaaay down there.
    You guys agree?

ScarletCross

Cresselia Fan
    Years
  • Yeah I agree to most of what you said there.
    I've never used a bug type in my team and even when I tried Scolipede it was weak against quite a lot of types. I usually use grass instead of bug anyway.

DoctorFred

I am not amused. ಠ_ಠ
    Years
  • I agree. Bug should be super effective on Dragon. Just for the irony of a bug beating a dragon. Dragon has 2 weakness and 4 resistances, while bug has 3 weaknesses and 3 resistances. and offensively, its even worse. An astounding 6 weaknesses!

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    Bug-types aren't exactly alone on this, look at Dragon-type moves and Steel-type moves. Anyway, they introduced a lot of dual Bug-types to help their weaknesses out a bit.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    Yeah, while fixing Bugs that apparently need fixing so desperately, lets completely ignore Ice types, because they're so good that everybody uses them constantly... or the ever so over-powered Poison types...

(If you're going to fix one bad type, you have to fix all bad types. Plus IMO, Ice and Poison need more help than Bugs do.)

Drakio

The next youngster Joey!
    Years
  • Bug types are not bad at all, they have some disadvantages to them but you just need to build a team that makes up for them, I find bug types to be fine, you just have to work with them a little and fight smart. Take advantage of stat lowering moves or stat raising moves, you can't just fight with brute power with them. I think bug types are fine the way they are.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
  • I agree. Bug types needs to be improved. I'm doing a monotype run now with the Bug-type, and right now, I am experiencing the hardest fights of my life.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • First Poison, then Bug. If there's one seriously useless type, it's Poison... that's the one that needs to be upgraded and fast. A new type would be a good way to help counteract this, as well as a more varied typing combination (of both Bug and Poison critters). Take Volcarona, for example, as a Bug critter that's very useable, mainly due to its secondary type. More Pokemon like that would go a long way.

Grif of Hearts

Que sera sera~
    Years
  • I'm entirely fine with the current strengths and weaknesses for Bug type Pokémon.

You say that Bug-types are at a disadvantage because Fire, Rock and Flying types moves are very common throughout the game. Are Ground, Grass and Fighting type moves not just as, if not more common? After all, Ground and Fighting types moves are some of the most adaptable in the game, being effective against huge amounts of Pokémon along with their typing combinations. Fighting type moves are highly sought after due to their high physical power and plenty of fully evolved Pokémon can learn the extremely effective Earthquake.

Bug types do have many disadvantages, but they just need a little bit of extra planning before-hand to be used effectively. During my Bug-Monotype of FireRed, I had very little experience using the creatures. By the end of the game, the team I had was one of the most powerful I had ever used in the game, and one I certainly took pride in owning.

DoctorFred

I am not amused. ಠ_ಠ
    Years
  • You also have to consider the horrible secondary typings the dual-type bug pokemon get. Pretty much every bug type has a 4x weakness. If that's not enough, a lot of bug types have mediocre stats at best, and very fragile.

Ciax

Ledian Used Starlight!
    Years
  • Bug types are my favourite type, and while I love them the way they are a few things may need to change. The pokemon are fine they don't need to change. Bugs like Scizor, Volcarona and Heracross are very strong in-game and competetively. But things like attacking strenghts and their weaknesses have to change to make bug on par with everything else.

Bug types can get bad secondary typings but consider Bug/Steel. One wekaness to fire and it resists 9 other types and is immune to 1 other. Thats one fo the best type in the whole game. Buuuuut then there's Bug/Flying

Grif of Hearts

Que sera sera~
    Years
  • You also have to consider the horrible secondary typings the dual-type bug pokemon get. Pretty much every bug type has a 4x weakness. If that's not enough, a lot of bug types have mediocre stats at best, and very fragile.

Exactly. The main problem with Bug-type Pokemon actually has nothing to do with the typing itself. Just that Nintendo seem obsessed with giving them all mediocre stats. This is fine in the early stages of the game (Butterfree can easily slaughter most Pokemon up to the second gym, despite being painfully weak against rock types, which are found quite frequently up 'till that point), but during late game and multiplayer, most Bug-types are seldom used, minus Scizor which happens to be one of the most overused Pokemon of all time.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • IMO bugs aren't that bad. They get bad press because they usually have mediocre stats and only a handful of them are actually useful. Forretress, Scizor, Genesect, Volcarona etc. They have a crippling Stealth Rock weakness which is a reason why people tend to stay away from them. Some Pokemon like Volcarona who have an awful 4x weakness to Rock sometimes have to have a full team built around them. Bug moves on the other hand are quite good. Quiver Dance being one of the most game changing moves which has pleasure of being dropped into the bug category. Bug Buzz, Bug Bite & U-Turn are also excellent bug moves.

Before people moan about Bug types, why not think about the other types that actually need fixing, like Ice, Poison & Steel. They're either really weak defensively (Ice, having weakness to common types such as Fire, Rock, Steel & Fighting) or bad offensively (Poison and Steel getting only slight coverage over Grass & Rock) Dark is another example of bad offensive coverage with only getting Psychic and Ghost types for Super Effective damage.

Every type has a huge weakness, no types can be perfect. \: Well except Water. B)

started to ramble at the end. :x

Back