• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Kabutops vs. Scyther

Kabutops vs. Scyther

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    I like them both, but I'd have to go with Scyther, as long as it doesn't evolve. I hate Scizor. However, in terms of stats, and not including Scizor (since this has absolutely nothing to do with it):

Scyther
    HP: 70
    Attack: 110
    Defense: 80
    Sp. Attack: 55
    Sp. Defense: 80
    Speed: 105

Kabutops
    HP: 60
    Attack: 115
    Defense: 105
    Sp. Attack: 65
    Sp. Defense: 70
    Speed: 80

Obviously, just judging by this, Kabutops has the upper hand. It's attack power is much stronger than Scyther's and Scyther's Defense can't take it, unlike Kabutops's Defense which can easily allow it to take more attacks from Scyther. Neither of their special stats are that good. . But Scyther easily beats Kabutops with Speed.

Now for movesets and typage.

Scyther
    Spoiler:

Kabutops
    Spoiler:

Taking into consideration each individual expertise, we can clearly see that Kabutops has the upper-hand. Adding to that, Kabutops is resistant to most of Scyther's attacks (not type-wise, stat wise), being only affected by Vacuum Wave. However, Kabutops can easily take out Scyther with AncientPower. Then, you'll have to take into consideration that some of Kabutops's attacks don't do anything to Scyther.

After analyzing all of this, I'd say that, stat-wise, they're at a stale-mate. Neither would win and neither would lose.

So personal preference can take over. I'll vote for Scyther. XD

Years
  • Oh, I love kabutops. But the real reason this thread was started, is because of the fact that BOTH of them have scythes as arms. So, scyther wins, simply because of the longer scythes.

HOWEVER!

Kabutops, in general, I love with a passion.

KostK2Boss

Europe Confirmed!!!
    Years
  • As far as design is concerned, Scyther is No.1: It has the apparatus of an elegant insect king, unlike most Bug pokemon that look clumsy and annoying.
    Kabutops vs. Scyther
    V.S.
    Kabutops vs. Scyther

Kabutops is quite stronger in combat, but still, Scyther evolves into this red-scissors-demon of battles. Scisor is stronger than both of them, mainly because of Silver Wind, which can sometimes cause surprisingly severe damage. Many trainer teams in Pokemon Colloseum and Battle Revolution feature Scisor, so they have to know something.

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2011
    Scyther! Although I hate the sound it makes (it's really quite annoying, it gave me a headache in the anime), I like the design of this Pokemon better than that of Kabutops. Perhaps cause it's fresher, being green. And it's just awesome that it's a bug type, cause mostly they're very weak, but this is the exception. <3 It's evolution is pretty awesome too, of course. Not no mention very fast. And the last reason I like Scyther better is cause both Tracey in the anime and Green in Pokespe (especially that one!) had one, and I can't recall a nice character who had a Kabutops. I just get influenced that way.

Andelc

Cool Trainer Alex
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2011
    Kabutops is like my second favorite pokemon, it has a really unique? look to it.

Kabutops is rock type too and that's a cool type.

KnilShadowLink

#1 Arcanine Fanboy
    Years
  • Hmm this is a tough one...Scyther vs. Kabutops....I'm going to go with Kabutops. I love Scyther, it's one of the few bug Pokemon I like, but Kabutops is the only fossil (Not Counting Aerodactly) that I like. And about Scizor...it doesn't have an scyths for hands, it's go pincers, so if you wanna choose Scizor go have a poll Scizor vs. Kingler or something.

Years
    • Seen Jun 18, 2009
    Kabutops is my favorite

In a fight (not going by pure gamemechanics) Kabutops will probably win, it's armour should provide more protection to Scyther's attacks than the other way around, not to mention his type advantage.

On the other hand Scyther has ridiculous speed, flight advantage, and it can camouflage itsself amongst grass. Kabutops however can swim and launch attacks from the water, furthermore his reaction speed shouldn't be that much below Scyther's, he should atleast be able to keep track of the bug. I'd say Scyther loses unless they fight in a field with tall grass, where he can fully utilise his speed, flight, and camouflage.

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    Scyther, he's always been one of my favourites. He's just so damn badass. Kabutops is pretty cool, but I don't like Scizor. Scyther had proper blades, Scizor just has... I'm not sure what they're supposed to be honestly.

Also, Scyther learns False Swipe, a really useful move in-game.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • It's easily Kabutops between those two for me, but like, most people have said here, when you throw Scizor into the equation, everything changes...

XxDawnfanxX

The stubborn Pokemon Trainer
    Years
  • Both are very good, and powerful pokemon. They also rely on their sharp claws they posses on each arm. I went with Scyther because of its speed and it can also do a majoirty of bug/grass moves.

Anxiety.

Walking on sunshine.
    Years
  • Scyther
    I'm not sure why. But, I just prefer it.
    Scyther is hawt <3

And, when I was little when I always thought Scyther was some sort of special Pokemon 'cause I could never find one. I was stupid back then, but that's probably why I still prefer him now.

Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2009
    Ever since my first Pokemon game, I have always been a fan of Kabutops. True, it takes a while to get him but it's soooooooo worth it. I can't recall ever having much love for Scyther.

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
    Years
  • Scyther, he's always been one of my favourites. He's just so damn badass. Kabutops is pretty cool, but I don't like Scizor. Scyther had proper blades, Scizor just has... I'm not sure what they're supposed to be honestly.

Also, Scyther learns False Swipe, a really useful move in-game.

I'm pretty darn sure they're supposed to be scissors.

Let's run some damage calcs, just for the fun of it, shall we?

In normal weather, Scyther is faster than Kabutops.
    Say that it is an Adamant nature with max Attack evs, not boosting its stats, nor holding an item, and it's using its strongest attack vs a SD Kabutops; Brick Break.

350 Atk vs 246 Def & 279 HP (75 Base Power): (55.20% - 65.23%)

W/ Life Orb:
    350 Atk vs 246 Def & 279 HP (75 Base Power): (71.68% - 84.59%)

And say that it's using Swords Dance as well.
    700 Atk vs 246 Def & 279 HP (75 Base Power): (142.65% - 168.46%)

However, SD requires a turn to set up, and that allows the slower Kabutops to strike.
    Say that it's Adamant natured, max attack evs, an not boosting it's stats nor using an item, Stone Edge goes like this:
    361 Atk vs 196 Def & 281 HP (100 Base Power): (281.85% - 333.10%)

W/ Life Orb:
    361 Atk vs 196 Def & 281 HP (100 Base Power): (364.41% - 431.32%)

And finally for overkill, add SD:
    722 Atk vs 196 Def & 281 HP (100 Base Power): (731.67% - 862.63%)

In Rain, Scyther's speed is rather obsolete, since Kabutops'll be faster anyways.

Also, moves such as Silver Wind and Ancientpower are rather useless on Scyther/Scizor and Kabutops, due to the fact that by the time of D/P/Pt, those moves are based on their base 55 and 65 Special Attack, respectively.

However, it is fun noting that Kabutops will OHKO Scyther with Ancientpower 46.15% of the time, even w/ a Life orb and a hindering nature:
    149 Atk vs 196 Def & 281 HP (60 Base Power): (93.95% - 111.03%)

Finally, Stealth Rock strips off 50% of Scythers health upon entry, so that might be the bane of the bug.

Me? I love Kabutops ^^

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
  • I actually prefer Kabuto to Kabutops, mainly because Kabuto is cute. :3 (Dont ask >_>) Though, I do like Scyther, and Scizor. I dont really like Kabutops. :\ It's design just didn't really appeal to me. :(

Andelc

Cool Trainer Alex
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2011
    Kabutops would lose in the tcg cause its grass.
    You guys probly don't care about the tcg though:(

anyways Kabutops can also learn awsomer moves than scyther.

Back