• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Kanto is lame

furret831

SoulSilver trainer
    Years
    Yeah, I that bothered me too. Even if you go to your PC and ditch your old party for a new adventure in Kanto with a new "starter", you're screwed as soon as the first trainer comes around. They should have made the levels of the wild pokemon and trainer battles more consistent.

PalkiaSpace

Panda Hugger <(^_^)>
    Years
    The main focus of HG/SS is Johto. Kanto is extra. That's why Johto is "so much better". I think it's pretty big, I mean, they made half the small cities the size of Ecruteke...

Heart Gold

Jellicent Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2012
    The game can only hold so much memory... any more and it wouldn't fit on the DS Cartridge.

Pokegear.net

The Pokegear
    Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2010
    Kanto is nice in HGSS but lacks plot other than defeat all 16 gyms to fight red, fix the power plant to be able to remove snorlax and the extended Suicune saga. It is the region that has only been absent for 6 games and could be labelled the centerpiece of the Pokemon franchise but it really lacks excitement. After HGSS every region except Kanto contains a Battle Frontier and dual daycare facilities.

I consider the Sevii Islands from FR and LG as a region seperate to Kanto but not worthy of a mention as a region.

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2016
    The game can only hold so much memory... any more and it wouldn't fit on the DS Cartridge.

I'm sure they could of had much more data on there, my friend has 5 games on his Acekard. So gamefreak not having enough data is bull.

Years
    You know what is lame? The amount of work Game Freak but into the games and then n00bs saying such and such is lame because blah blah blah. Honestly, GET A LIFE. If you don't like it go do stuff instead of playing these games. At least some people don't care about this too much. If you hate the amount of work they put into Kanto don't go to it. So it's bull because there was barely anything in Kanto. That's. just. crap. There was the nice graphics, Lati@s, Mewtwo, the birds, and the Fighting Dojo. You're even lucky they put stuff back in. Besides, it wasn't focused on Kanto anyway. It was on JOHTO. Not Kanto. For all you know they might make a FR/LG remake just to keep you n00bs from blabbing.
    And that's my FOUR cents. Or my four senses (:P)

Years
    • Seen Jul 10, 2010
    Yea ok, so if I'm paying money for a game and I'm dissatisfied with it I have no right to complain right? Just because your mommy spoils you with games and money doesn't mean the rest of us don't want to get our hard-earning money's worth.

Do you know what else is lame? Noobs thinking they're above everyone else and trying to sound smart.

So know your role and shut your mouth boy.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    In MY opinion yes Kanto was lame for the most part, despite all the improvements made to it in HGSS. Johto was really fun though when I got dropped in Kanto for some reason it felt like I was on a diff. planet, and w/ the absence of a true story line in it that just made it worse.

Regardless of all of this complaining, Kanto really was the only reason I kept playing afterwards too. It also was nice to actually have something good to do after the main story unlike in DPPt.

Lame and fun at the same time :D

TrainerShane

The Planner
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2010
    Kanto is fine for what it was, post-E4 and post-story fun. Lame? No, though come on guys, string together a basic plot and it would have been even better.
    After you defeat the E4, Red sends you a telegram, challenging you to do what he did three years ago and then to face him. As you defeat the gyms, you learn more about not only what he did, but how he did and we see how it impacted Kanto.
    Not much of a story, but then the final battle against Red has some more weight and Kanto has a thin story to it.

Jerme

stupid
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    i didnt care about a sub story or anything. it was just the horribly low leveled wilds in most places...like i said they tried to make it more parallel to the older games/johto region but who needs that?

mooglehunter

Teh non-Haxor
    Years
    You know what is lame? The amount of work Game Freak but into the games and then n00bs saying such and such is lame because blah blah blah. Honestly, GET A LIFE. If you don't like it go do stuff instead of playing these games. At least some people don't care about this too much. If you hate the amount of work they put into Kanto don't go to it. So it's bull because there was barely anything in Kanto. That's. just. crap. There was the nice graphics, Lati@s, Mewtwo, the birds, and the Fighting Dojo. You're even lucky they put stuff back in. Besides, it wasn't focused on Kanto anyway. It was on JOHTO. Not Kanto. For all you know they might make a FR/LG remake just to keep you n00bs from blabbing.
    And that's my FOUR cents. Or my four senses (:P)

so your saying that if you are dissatisfied with the ENTIRE 2ND half of the game you shouldn't be able to complain about it? nice graphics noone really cares about since that was included in the entire game, not just kanto. the other pokemon can just be imported. if you are satisfied with it don't bash people who aren't. its alright to say its good, but you are just trashing them

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    Honestly, I just wanted a slightly bigger storyline in Kanto. Just bigger than what we got (and that was bigger than GSC) and I don't want to really complain. It's not filled with errors, nobody hacks online with a Wonder Guard Spiritomb with all stats 999 (that's against YOU, noobs) and it's really fun to play.

I can complain about my DS, but it's not going to fix it. And my warranty expired. Two years ago. -.-

_Kyle

Starting Fire Trainer
    Years
    Kanto is a classic! I really don't see how you can hate on it.

I mean I get goosebumps when I see the thing that started it all in good graphics. Just makes me smile and get back all the memories that I used to have during pretty much my whole childhood lol.

Roxasabridged

Lucariowner
    Years
    I don't see why anyone needs a story to play through Kanto.

With the exception of the obligatory legendary battle, Kanto was just the same as the Johto version.

Johto - Beat 8 gyms, challenge Champion.
    Kanto - Beat 8 more gyms, challenge True Champion.

That, and all Hoenn (or more specifically, Emerald) got was a crappy Battle Frontier, Sinnoh got that tiny island, and Johto gets a whole other region added to it. Why ask for more when HG/SS already give you the most things to do after beating the E4?

mattdaninja

Problem, Officer?
    Years
    • Seen May 2, 2013
    Nah, I have to agree. There really isn't much storyline to Kanto. I always find myself bored while exploring it =/

Back