• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Kanto Starters in X & Y!

Years
    I predict, that the majority of people, will choose Charmander. It's always been one of the most popular...
    so, getting a Bulbasaur or Squirtle through GTS by breeders....isn't going to be easy.

Also: Kalos-Chespin, Kanto-Still deciding between Charmander and Squirtle.

Speaking of which...Bulbasaur will probably be left in the dust...it's not too popular.

So I heard something about MegaBlastoise's pokedex entry or something
    It can hit targets SIX MILES away
    Just imagine that, you're walking along and you hear something
    "What sounds like a water fall?"
    You turn to look and...HYDRO PUMP TO THE FACE
    XD
    Blastoise have a big fan-base, not as big as charizard's, but still a large one. So it won't be such a big problem to get squirtle. balbasaur on the other hand...

Also now that you mention its ability to shoot six miles away, I hope that he will be able to hit the faraway pokemon in triple-battle, just for keep things logical

DamienHelvian

Legendary Lucario Warrior
    Years
    XD
    Blastoise have a big fan-base, not as big as charizard's, but still a large one. So it won't be such a big problem to get squirtle. balbasaur on the other hand...

Also now that you mention its ability to shoot six miles away, I hope that he will be able to hit the faraway pokemon in triple-battle, just for keep things logical

Maybe that's a secondary effect of his ability?
    Also, don't all Pulse moves (which are supposedly boosted by the new ability) Already hit non-adjacent pokemon in a triple battle? There'd be no point there...
    But if it allowed all moves, or at least a certain selection of moves to have increased range to that non-adjacent spot... (Moves like the majority of Water type moves. Water gun, bubble beam, etc. Not moves like surf, because those are area moves, and wouldn't be 'channeled' through a giant cannon)
    Also from what I saw in the animation is...why didn't they make the attacks come from the cannon? It would've been cool!

Edit (Because I don't want to post a thousand times)
    @Below
    GASP!!!! Someone who actually wants bulbasaur?! IT'S AMAZING! Sorry, had to...

Last edited:

Nakala Pri

It is so cool! I can have Fennekin AND a Bulbasaur! I am so excited! Game Freak is rocking it old school, total respect for that company.

ROCK ON GAME FREAK! \m/

Years
    For those that missed Pokemon Direct: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbqkqdfrfes

Starting at 12:10 in that video, Junichi Masuda clearly says that we can choose either Chespin, Fennekin, or Froakie along with Bulbasaur, Charmander, or Squirtle to take on our journey.

This makes it pretty obvious that we will get the Kanto starters early in the game. It sucks too, since Blastoise is my favorite Pokemon and want to take him on the journey with me... Although my original plan was to Choose Froakie and Skrelp on my team. Oh well, I guess I can box my Squirtle, along with my Torchic inside the PC and use them after I'm done with the game.

Years
    regarding starters...
    A. is it possible to trade with a friend the starters?
    B. to make more than on save and chose a different pokemon every time?

A. is it possible to get kent shiny starer?
    B. is it going to be the same way of getting the 6 gen starters... reset until you get one?

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    With Kanto starters now being available for you to use, the choices has now become even more difficult me. I was originally going to use Fennekin, because I'm going to play as Serena, but now that Torchic and Charmander are here, it'll be frustrating for me to choose only one Fire type for my team, although Blaziken will still be stuck in stuck on ubers due to speed boost from its Mega Evolution, and I don't use ubers in my team. The solution would've been choosing Chespin instead, but it doesn't suit Serena, and I'll be losing my chance to use Gogoat.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2015
    I am going to choose Bulbasaur for my Kanto starter in the game. I would like to pick Fennekin as my Kalos starter, so I wanted to pick a Kanto starter of a different type although I love the Charmander line. I probably will not even end up using the Kanto starter though, I want to use all new Pokemon.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    regarding starters...
    A. is it possible to trade with a friend the starters?
    B. to make more than on save and chose a different pokemon every time?

A. is it possible to get kent shiny starer?
    B. is it going to be the same way of getting the 6 gen starters... reset until you get one?
    Going by past experiences, you've never been prohibited from trading with friends once you earned your first badge. I assume that hasn't changed here. Multiple save files wont be available though. GameFreak doesn't seem to want to make that an open option for players.

I'm also pretty sure the old "Save and Soft Reset" technique will still be available so we can try our luck at obtaining a shiny starter. This hasn't changed since Gen II.

Last edited:
    Years
    Going by past experiences, you've never been prohibited from trading with friends once you earned your first badge. I assume that hasn't changed here. Multiple save files wont be available though. GameFreak doesn't seem to want to make that an open option for players.

I'm also pretty sure the old "Save and Soft Reset" technique will still be available so we can try our luck at obtaining a shiny starter. This hasn't changed since Gen II.

that's good to know. though i'll probably ask it again after i'll obtain the game, to be absolutely sure about the possibility of shiny starters, past and present.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2014
    Don't get me wrong, I love the Kanto starters. They were my first, always will be. My problem is this: we're already getting Torchic. On top of our Kalos starter. I literally do not need three starter Pokemon before I'm even at the Elite Four. That's ridiculous. Not to mention, giving us Torchic and a Kanto starter, that takes up two slots on our teams. We still have a whole new regions worth of new Pokemon to discover and half my team is filled up by starters because you're that desperate to display the Megas? No. Sorry, not my thing. I've used all the Kanto starters plenty before, I've used Torchic and its evolutions, and seen them used enough. Show off some new Pokemon with Megalutions.

I have to agrre with you Austin. I love the idea of getting these pokemon so early, but it will pretty much negate me exploring the different pokemon in this region. I was actually planning on transfering my blaziken over from my other game, so there is no need for me to have that torchic (Which is my fav pokemon btw) in my party. So I can wait for that. However, I will be using a kanto probably. I plan on going with fennekin so far, so I guess bulbasaur is my way to go. nothing wrong with beefing him up as a defense pokemon with that thick fat ability lol.

Now give me Mega Typhlosion! Ive always thought his design could have been much better like his previous two forms. There is hope yet!

Omicron

the day was mine
    Years
    MegaCharizard keeping it's fire/flying typing might be a great move from Nintendo competitive-wise if the rumors of fire being resistant to fairy are true. This would give him a resistance to the probably going to be ou fairy pokemon and still have a large move pool for coverage. I'm guessing megastars will be blasted into overused.

DamienHelvian

Legendary Lucario Warrior
    Years
    You know, we all seem to kind of forgotten something.
    We're getting a free torchic as well....
    That changes things completely
    Chespin to cover grass, Squirtle to cover water, and the free Torchic to cover Fire....
    That pretty much covers everything you need right there.

EJ Nero

Water forever
    Years
    I wasn't expecting this, and while it's a delightful surprise I can't say that I'm fully awed. We should receive the starters sometime during the game pre-pokemon league. I realllyyyy want to see the mega-evolutions of the Kalos starters though. If Froakie is water/fighting like I'm hoping then I bet its mega-evolution will be kick ass.

I will be going with Froakie & Bulbasaur unless Kalos has a great selection of grass types besides Chespin.

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2014
    You know, we all seem to kind of forgotten something.
    We're getting a free torchic as well....
    That changes things completely
    Chespin to cover grass, Squirtle to cover water, and the free Torchic to cover Fire....

I don't see why anybody would want to use 3 starters in one team, you are only limited to 6 pokemon as it is. I mean if you plan to do it, all the power to you, but I would much rather focus on Kalos Pokemon; or older generation pokemon that simply aren't starters.

Years
    I'm hoping the professor gives the pokémon out early in the game. Either way, I'm going with a bulbasaur. I usually love charmanders but I want fennekin so it would be pointless to add another fire type. I like squirtle as well but I rarely picked bulbasaur in the original games so I want a change. Plus I like how simple the mega evolution for venusaur is. It's not too bold so it looks like the same pokémon.

Years

Or Froakie to cover Water and Bulbasaur to cover Grass.

But yeah, I like how this idea was executed, I remember in HG/SS you could not only get a Johto starter at the start but also a Kanto and Hoenn starter after defeating Red. If you take one each out of the three trios you can potentially have Grass, Fire and Water covered all at once. But still, I'm hoping we get access to more other regions' starter Pokemon because given we've seen Mega Evolutions of Blaziken and the Kanto starters so far, I wouldn't be surprised if they had Mega Evolutions for all the starters.

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
    Years
    I'm sure I'll get Charmander when I can & as for the Kalos starter, I'll have to see their final evos before deciding.

Or if one of my cousin gets Charmander, I'll choose Bulbasaur...

I do really like the looks of Mega Venusaur...

(hopefully I'll be able to get both of their Mega Stones... if not, Charmander.)

Back