• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Kanto's Role: A Theory

Years
    • Seen May 29, 2016
    I don't think so. Jumping to a claim as radical as that is not very wise.

I believe the storyline in Kanto will be very close to the original. The Power Plant running, your Rival at Mt.Moon, Cinnabar being destoyed, Janine and Blue being Gym Leaders, ect.

They could re-add Viridian Forest if they really wanted to, because it's inclusion would not alter the storyline much whatsoever.
    Cinnabar doesn't have to be destroyed, it wasn't something important for the plot.
    Power plant could be attacked again by Zapdos just to bring back the "cave"/"dungeon".
    Janine and Blue...who cares.
    Rival could be at Mt. Moon even if it was fixed.
    Viridian, yeah, could be added.

And for Safari, by the way - they always add a new spawn once you get National dex, including some pokemon from other regions. Let's just say, hypothetically, they could say "the Johto Safari was filled up already, so we reopened the Safari in Kanto too for National Pokemon, and some Chanseys we couldn't bring over to Johto" or w/e. I can see Kanto being fixed without hurting the plot.

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    Um...but I liked what you call an "embarrassment." The GSC version of Virdian Forest is (IMO) much better. I don't want to walk through that again. I just thought the forest burned down and that's what was left over. After seeing Kanto in Gold version, and then playing Red version, I didn't like (what I thought) were add ons. (When I first played Gold at the time, I thought RBY was made afterwards, not before.) I liked GSC's Kanto. It showed how it changed over the years. I liked not having to go to Cinnabar, and instead going to a cave to battle Blaine. GSC's Kanto was so intriguing. I'm not against the idea of expanding anything or adding what they had to remove last time, I'm just saying I liked GSC's Kanto more than Red version's. It's just my opinion. You don't have to agree.

Im going to take the inbetween point here. I would like Viridian Forest restored to its former size as a different area, but to see it partially burned and cut down. It would add more to what actually happened than a line of bushes would.

As for cinnabar, i would like it if the volcano was explorabale or at the very least had features of a volcano on the outside. possibly making use of the soot condition from DPPt. It may even be the location of Groudon.

Cerulean Cave should be added. Maybe to reflect the cave-in depicted in GSC, parts of the cave could be blocked off and other routes opened up.

Mt. Moon i think will be different to both FRLG and GSC. Mostly to reflect the time difference and the change in GSC for the former and the fact that GSC's Mt. Moon can be easily navigated without encountering a pokemon.

Safari Zone, I think could serve as an extenstion of the zoo in previous games. It would make much more use of the following feature.

I wouldn't be surprised if at least some of the sevii islands appear. because as much as this is a GSC remake, it is also a FRLG sequel; and the Sevii islands served quite a large role in FRLG; it would also be an excuse to include some more 'exotic' pokemon.

thats part of my opinion

pizzakoe

Experienced Spriter
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Aug 12, 2023
    IF Nintendo is smart, they'll change nothing, or very little. Though I could do with a full Viridian Forest, the maze would be ok. Besides, the main story is not about Kanto, it's about Johto, so Kanto should really be the least of your worries. And Heart Gold and Soul Silver are going to be so full of features, you're not even going to want to visit Kanto for a while, anyway. I really can't wait for their realease, but I could really care less about whether or not they change a whole lot in Kanto. As long as they stick as close to the original as possible.

BUT I will say that it's going to be nice, because the burned out Cinnabar Island will probably look more like a volcano had erupted. Maybe something will actually go on at the volcano site, now. Perhaps Blaine will be in the volcano instead of the Seafoam Islands and we'll actually get a Seafoam Islands to explore in this one. Who knows...only Nintendo.
    What about the possibility of mewto being over there, at cinnibar Island or seafom islands, Think about it, it would fit the manga,
    Red catches Mewto with a masterball, and gives it to blaine,
    Volcano erupts >Mewto escapes of his pod thingy and stays in the volcano somewhere > Blaine goes to seafoam islands and rebuilds his gym over there

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2022
    The only thing I can be certain of is the White Rock Oak mentions. Perhaps this time they might add the areas they couldn't add last time, who knows? Only a few more weeks until we know for sure.

Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2014
    I'm just curious, where did you get the idea that Mewtwo was going to be in the game?

On topic: Hopefully, Game Freak won't change Kanto at all. Adding an area that wasn't in the original G/S/C would ruin it for me, personally. *shrugs*

Last edited:

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    The only thing I can be certain of is the White Rock Oak mentions. Perhaps this time they might add the areas they couldn't add last time, who knows? Only a few more weeks until we know for sure.

I had completely forgotten about the mentioned White Rock from DPPt that Oak talked about being in Kanto. I guess all the recent news on Kanto returning and all the new additions to the game got my mind side tracked about it. However, yes it will be interesting to see what happens to that and what may the sole purpose of it being there, so we'll see. Like you said, only a few more weeks before everyone starts to count down the lessening days of the Japanese release.

I'm just curious, where did you get the idea that Mewtwo was going to be in the game?

On topic: Hopefully, Game Freak won't change Kanto at all. Adding an area that wasn't in the original G/S/C would ruin it for me, personally. *shrugs*

It was stated that Mewtwo was going to make a return to the game unlike what was done in the originals. As for changing Kanto, it is something that I definitely want done. All the new features are great, but a big improvement will be to Kanto as the originals made it too small for the fun of it all. About adding new areas, I'm sorry to say but some of that has already been done in the game for Johto, but currently not much is known about Kanto.

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2011
    pof. aok giving another starter is booring. u would want to raise that whereas u have a powerful jhoto one. but still, worth a collection.

MiniEggs

Working On Something Spritey.
    Years
    Their obviously going to change the plot of Kanto, it might not be by much, it might be by lots. Hopefully they'll just add in little things or remove little things. But it will change.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    I don't know where everyone is getting this "Mewtwo is in the game" ********. It makes no logical sense and there is no evidence to support it.

I really hope that the Unknown Dungeon and Viridian Forest, as well as other areas in Kanto remain small. You know why GameFreak made them small in the first place? Not because of lack of space, which is completely stupid and makes no sense. There's plenty of space. It's because you already played Kanto. It was called Red/Blue/Yellow. Does anyone really want to run around Viridian Forest and attacking level 5 Caterpies once they've already beaten the game? I don't. That's why it was small: because by then you'd already have Dig, Fly, and whatever else and could just bypass the entire thing. They made it small so you'd actually go in there.

So people, stop hoping for the most idiotic things. Gold, Silver, and especially Crystal versions were absolute masterpieces and I wouldn't change a thing about them.

Back