• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Karmic Koala! Less than a week left!

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    I'm super uber excited about this x3 It will be available as a final release on the 29th and I'd assume I can use the built in upgrade system at that time.

My netbook runs Ubuntu BUT the ALSA drivers do not work properly in the Jaunty release and instead of using a loooooooooong work around I decided simply to sit back and wait for Karmic. And what a long wait it's been.

Then my precious little baby laptop will be useful to me once again <3

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    I'm super uber excited about this x3 It will be available as a final release on the 29th and I'd assume I can use the built in upgrade system at that time.

My netbook runs Ubuntu BUT the ALSA drivers do not work properly in the Jaunty release and instead of using a loooooooooong work around I decided simply to sit back and wait for Karmic. And what a long wait it's been.

Then my precious little baby laptop will be useful to me once again <3
    Make your text size bigger. It's really annoying to read.

Also, how is using OSS a LOOOOOONG workaround? OSS is better than ALSA anyway; it'd be worth it to enable it.

But yeah, while I personally don't use Ubuntu much, I do appreciate its contribution to Linux (specifically its usability), and I recommend it to a lot of people. I can't wait to see where Ubuntu is in a few years; the progress that they've made in the past few is simply amazing.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    Make your text size bigger. It's really annoying to read.

Also, how is using OSS a LOOOOOONG workaround? OSS is better than ALSA anyway; it'd be worth it to enable it.

But yeah, while I personally don't use Ubuntu much, I do appreciate its contribution to Linux (specifically its usability), and I recommend it to a lot of people. I can't wait to see where Ubuntu is in a few years; the progress that they've made in the past few is simply amazing.
    I meant a long workaround to fix ALSA. If I wanted to use OSS I would've used it, but I don't want to :<

And I can't change my font size when it's so aesthetically pleasing

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    I meant a long workaround to fix ALSA. If I wanted to use OSS I would've used it, but I don't want to :<
    OSS is better, and there's no reason to use ALSA over it, especially if ALSA is glitching out.

And I can't change my font size when it's so aesthetically pleasing
    What was that? I couldn't read it; it was too small.

Obi-Wan Jerkobi

Great Party!
    Years
    I've tried it and Kubuntu and have noticed major (more like minor, though, I doesn't really cripple the system) bugs. In kubuntu 9.10, the "Region and Language Settings" control panel crashes whenever I open it (I like my time in 24 hour, so I usually change the clock to it.) In the Gnome variant, it tends to get angry about mutliple users if you choose auto login at install. Also, I still have problems with Intel Graphics Chipsets but that's a little bit of Intel's fault. Kubuntu with Nvidia cards tend to have HUGE FONTS still.

Other than that, it seems fine okay. :\ It boots slower on my testbed machine than Jaunty, though, that's kind of odd.

Eureka1

Yay IIDX! :D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 21, 2023
    OSS is better, and there's no reason to use ALSA over it, especially if ALSA is glitching out.

What was that? I couldn't read it; it was too small.

They probably use a really low resolution.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    I've tried it and Kubuntu and have noticed major (more like minor, though, I doesn't really cripple the system) bugs. In kubuntu 9.10, the "Region and Language Settings" control panel crashes whenever I open it (I like my time in 24 hour, so I usually change the clock to it.) In the Gnome variant, it tends to get angry about mutliple users if you choose auto login at install. Also, I still have problems with Intel Graphics Chipsets but that's a little bit of Intel's fault. Kubuntu with Nvidia cards tend to have HUGE FONTS still.

Other than that, it seems fine okay. :\ It boots slower on my testbed machine than Jaunty, though, that's kind of odd.
    Really? Karmic is supposed to have improved boot times. And technically you were using the beta or release candidate so obviously it had bugs :p

Obi-Wan Jerkobi

Great Party!
    Years

BTW what were you computer specs when you tested it?
    It's a pretty mainstream system in the education industry, it's a Dell Optiplex GX520 with 2GB of Ram with an Intel GMA 950 (as well as a potential add in card, an Nvidia GeForce 8400GS 512). I've also tested it on my main desktop system and laptop. (In spoiler)
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    I'm surprised anything with 2GBs of ram would have a slower boot time.

My netbook does about 45 seconds for startup on Jaunty. TOTALLY unscientific guess though. (1GB of ram only)

Back