• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Kazuki Takahashi, R.I.P.

.hack

skunkape
Years
  • I know there is a great deal of crossover in these two particular fandoms so I thought to make a memorial thread for Kazuki Takahashi; Mangaka of Yu-Gi-Oh who tragically passed away recently.
    It was some form of snorkelling accident, the details are still not 100% clear, he was 60 years old.
    Please feel free to post any thoughts, tributes & any else in this thread.

He also recently worked on "Secret Reverse" for Marvel, and a newer title "The Comiq" which is available digitally on the Shonen Jump app.
    Here's his MAL page with a more compiled list of his work credits:
    https://myanimelist.net/people/1913/Kazuki_Takahashi

His Instagram is @studio_dice where he used to post some of his newer artworks.
    -
    My thoughts:
    IMO it is a great loss for several industries; Manga, Anime, TCG, Hobbyist/merch etc.
    He is someone who impacted my life personally a great deal, and I will miss seeing his new artworks, he had a very iconic style & unique mind!
    Rest in peace to a legend, who has impacted millions of lives all across the world!

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • Oh my God, I was just gonna post about this. I'm not in close contact with YGO or its fandom these days, but I happened across the news and was as shocked as everyone else was. Whatever lead to his death, that's a horrible way to go. May he rest in peace.

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
  • Heart-breaking news, may he rest in peace and may his family and all those who knew him find solace after this loss. :( YGO made a huge impact on my partner's life growing up and he adores the fandom, so this hit hard. </3

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Even though I have pretty much fallen off of Yu Gi Oh since Vrains started, I still am saddened by this. I loved the original Yu Gi Oh, GX, (some of 5ds before I quit) and Arc V. So, I'm still in denial about him dying. May he rest in peace.

.hack

skunkape
    Years
  • It certainly is devastating and heartbreaking news, I've been reading through many tributes and memorials over the last couple days and it's amazing the amount of lives that have been profoundly impacted by this guys work.
    <3

Years
  • This guy was single-handedly responsibly for an enormous part of my childhood. I feel kind of bad that I'm not particularly upset. Regardless of my personal feelings though, this is a huge blow to the industry at large and I feel bad for the family and friends who certainly weren't expecting that.

.hack

skunkape
    Years
  • Even though I have pretty much fallen off of Yu Gi Oh since Vrains started, I still am saddened by this. I loved the original Yu Gi Oh, GX, (some of 5ds before I quit) and Arc V. So, I'm still in denial about him dying. May he rest in peace.

Noticing your profile, I believe the original creator of Cardfight Vanguard started out as an assistant on the original Yugioh manga with KT, before moving onto to serialising the Yugioh spin-off manga Yugioh R and then making his own series which became Cardfight Vanguard. :)

Allen Ceedos

The Old School PokeFan
    Years
  • My friend Marco is the one who shared with me the news about Takahashi's sudden death, I hadn't been following anything Yugioh-related for a very long time (certainly none of the anime series after GX) so the news was beyond shocking. and made worse by information about it not being completely clear. I was introduced to Yugioh in high school by a former classmate, he had access to South African TV channels and one of them was airing the Duelist series at the time. There was nothing else quite like it, from the characters, the Millennium Items, the cards, the card game, etc and I became a fan right away. Heck, I even tried to create my own card game as a way of saying thanks to Takahashi for Yugioh. Eternal gratitude to Takahashi, a terrible way to go, but I believe he will certainly be remembered for many more years to come by old and new fans alike.

This is from One Piece creator Eiichiro Oda, it was included in a fan translation of a recent chapter and I thought it was cool of him to have shared it:

"Yu-Gi-Oh!" had a dramatic impact on the manga industry. To this day , fans continue to play in the world Takahashi-sensei created. Rest in peace.

.hack

skunkape
    Years
  • Tysm Allen for your post, Oda's tribute is really great too, I hadn't seen it so thanks for sharing!

One update for this thread is that as time went on more details about his death became clearer.
    His autopsy revealed the cause of death as drowning, and the investigations ruled there was no suspicion of any criminal involvement.
    I would like to debunk a rumour I had seen, that it was a shark attack.
    It seems it was just a tragic snorkelling accident that resulted in his drowning (as most had initially suspected).

Back