• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Kenji's Sprites & Pixel Art

Years
    I decided to make another thread, since it's been a while. Haven't done much spriting since the last one, but meh.

Old Stuff:

These were for a Pixel Project I started that is now dead. XD

New Stuff

I really don't have anything other than this. XD

Works in progress:

These are what I really want criticism on, I could care less about my older things.

This is an Ivysaur alternate evolution, currently named "Jovesaur." It's a Grass/Fighting type.

The hand-flowers can be used as shields, they can spin and be used like circular saws, or the petals can fold in and form a fist for punching attacks.

Last edited:
    Years
    Im commenting about the crocodile w.i.p.
    You tried to bend the legs making it look realistic, but instead its looking weird and un realistic.
    Many spriters have that problem, including me.
    Anatomy is abit difficult if you just started spriting.
    So my advice is try checking some real crocodile pictures, and then just use that image as a reference to make your pixel-art.

Oh and I think it's best to always start with the head, the head needs to be placed correctly, so if the head doesnt look right, the rest will also look weird...

Try to finish the it coulor it and post it, I'll be commenting back!

Years
    Im commenting about the crocodile w.i.p.
    You tried to bend the legs making it look realistic, but instead its looking weird and un realistic.
    Many spriters have that problem, including me.
    Anatomy is abit difficult if you just started spriting.
    So my advice is try checking some real crocodile pictures, and then just use that image as a reference to make your pixel-art.

Oh and I think it's best to always start with the head, the head needs to be placed correctly, so if the head doesnt look right, the rest will also look weird...

Try to finish the it coulor it and post it, I'll be commenting back!

I did kinda look at a real picture, but trying to make the legs anatomically correct looked worse, so then I was like "screw it" and just drew something that seemed to work a little better. XD Right now I'm thinking it would look more realistic if I shaded them, since right now it doesn't have the bend in the leg, making it look.. flat.

I didn't just start spriting, btw. It's been like 2 and a half years. XD

I might give up on this one for now, I think I should focus on something smaller and maybe redo this later. XD I may scan/pixel-over a new drawing of it, if I'm not too tired after work.

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    Nice recolor/fusions things, remind me of the cosplay episode

Years
    Thanks for the comments. :3

New random thing:

Yes, I realize the shading is awful and makes no sense, and that half of it was made with default paint colors.

If you'd like to see the conversation that led to this:
    Spoiler:

= GPR =

Birding Extraordinaire
    Years
    Thanks for the comments. :3

New random thing:

Yes, I realize the shading is awful and makes no sense, and that half of it was made with default paint colors.

If you'd like to see the conversation that led to this:
    Spoiler:

That is officially the strangest conversation i have heard...ever...

It's actually not bad at all for that tiny little space! But what really amazes me is how you actually managed to make default colors look good! i think it's because their even distribution among the custom tones that makes them look alright. Regardless, this is the most random picture and conversation i have seen in a long time.

To the gator!

The body seems right, although there is a minor kink in the back. I think you need to flare the nose a bit more on the sides though, because his nostrils would be sticking up a bit there, like a dinosaur almost...

the back leg actually looks good, once you shade it (as you stated) it will make sense and look better. The other rear leg though, the hidden one, seems to far back. I don't think that it would bend that close to the body. Maybe move it up a bit?

The front leg, i agree with crossle. you might need to look at some real pictures of them, cause i really don't know how that should go...

The old stuff looks great, keep it up!

Keep Spriting!

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    I can't believe I haven't commented here yet. Must be all the lovely recolours distracting me. ;]

The old fusions are sweet, crisp and well blended, they're simple but in a good way, you've really mixed them well.

Years
    Thanks for the comments :D

I'm taking the Alligator off for now, since I'm kinda half-working on it again. Thank you, to those who criticised. It really helps.

KurlyFries

let's get this bread
    Years
    Allright.. Jovesaur...

The hand-flowers can be used as shields, they can spin and be used like circular saws, or the petals can fold in and form a fist for punching attacks.

Well, in my opinion, the flowers are a very non fighter-like color.
    Make the petals taper off at the ends. They need to look like they could close up and form a potential fist, and they just look like pink shields. And while you're at it, if each petal was congruent and had less overlap, I think it would look a lot better.

Other than that, there's nothing I can put my finger on besides the lack of shading, eyes, etc.

I'll keep an eye on this thread to see how this guy turns out.

Years
    Allright.. Jovesaur...

Well, in my opinion, the flowers are a very non fighter-like color.
    Make the petals taper off at the ends. They need to look like they could close up and form a potential fist, and they just look like pink shields. And while you're at it, if each petal was congruent and had less overlap, I think it would look a lot better.

Other than that, there's nothing I can put my finger on besides the lack of shading, eyes, etc.

I'll keep an eye on this thread to see how this guy turns out.

Ha, yeah. That isn't the final color. It's default paint colors, to give a vague idea. The final color will most likely be a more orange-y pink, like Venusaur's flowers.

I'll be sure to take your advice on the flowers. Though, I was thinking about changing the pose and have him making one of the flowers into a fist. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I was just kinda thinking the pose was a little.. boring.

Thanks for the criticism. :D

KurlyFries

let's get this bread
    Years
    Yeah the pose is pretty blah. But if you did have one arm in "fist mode", it would look sorta Sword-and-Shield-esque, so only do it if Jovesaur is a Sward-and-Shield-esque type of Fakemon.

So unless any better ideas come up about the pose, I guess it's up to you.

Edit: 100th post! woohoo!

Years
    That's what I was worried about. I'm not sure what to do about that. I don't want it to look like it should be holding something.

This pose was intended to be proud and.. unintimidated. It turned out a lot more.. bored and dull.

If anyone else has any ideas for a good pose, or at least an arm position, I'd love to hear them.

= GPR =

Birding Extraordinaire
    Years
    To be honest, it looks more like a thinned down snorlax holding two flowers. I'm thinking that the flowers on the hands just need to be redone a bit. My idea is this:

You know how Samus Aran's blast cannon has those little "flaps" around the nozzle that lay flat on the arm when the weapon is dormant? Well what if the flower petals lay flat on the arm, and then you had one arm pointed like samus' blast cannon with the petals sticking up around the nozzle?

That's my idea, not sure if you'll like or if it will work though.

Besides that, jovesaur's left arm is a bit smaller than it's right, and the legs seem to look like gumby. I know that there's not any shading, but the pose is a strait on kind, and it seems as if Jovesaur will still look super flat. Maybe angle the pose a bit more?

Well, good luck on it.

Keep Spriting!

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Nice recolor/fusions things, remind me of the cosplay episode

Very good sprites! =D

I like the Mux one. XD

Keep it up!

Guys would it kill you to apply some substance to your posts? Every post here is supposed to contain some form of constructive criticism, "I like the mux one" and "nice recolour/fusion things" don't cut it I'm afraid.

= GPR =

Birding Extraordinaire
    Years
    Ok, so here's a visual of what i meant... this is not the greatest, it took me like a minute to draw, but still...
    have the pose turned with one arm kinda up and the other on it's hip... have the head tilted to the left a bit... and have the legs a bit more bent.

as for the arms, see how i mean with the petals acting like those flaps on samus' blaster? they retract...

again, just suggestions...

Years
    I don't really want it to be a "shooting" pokemon, though. I mean, obviously, certain attacks would be produced from the flowers in that way, but it's meant to be a more hand-to-hand fighing pokemon, and not so much a projectile/long-distance fighting one, like Venusaur.

I'm thinking.. what should I do with the back? I still need a way to incorporate the leaves, so I'm thinking a "cape" of two or three of the notched leaves like Venusaur has? Thoughts/Alternate ideas?

I might post up a quick pixeled-over outline of a sketch of Wartortle's alternate evolution, and I might scan a drawing of how Charmeleon's is coming along.

Anywhoo, update:

A lime I made for Limey. I literally spent like 3 minutes working on this. XD

SytheXP

Net Labs/UG Founder
    Years
    Love the limes colors and shading especially for only a minute of work it looks great. That convo was really wierd...... I would say I could beat it but havn't had a wierd convo in a while. The gator thing needs work on the legs mainly, but perportions seem off.

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
    Years
    i love the old revamps you made of those sprites(:
    idk about the ivysore thing you made last.
    it's kinda not fully pixeled.
    way better than i could ever do xD

Back