• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Kid-Friendly?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Ohio
  • Seen Jun 6, 2017
^ That.

Yes, its ridiculous, for instance in HG/SS "OMG NUU GAMBLEENG KIDZ R GUNA GO 2 VEEGAS AND SP3ND MONEES!!!1!!" ~___~ Raise your kids you lazy parents.

Discussion NOT over.
Way to not even know why they don't have it. Most countries where they sell the game have made gambling illegal. And the law extends to gambling in games. Thus, it would be cheaper to remove it all together.

I don't think things are getting too kid-friendly, I think we are all just growing up.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
I actually think more video games are becoming more violent with the advancement of technology, due to them doing it just cause they have the opportunity to do so.
Just look at the top 10 games on the Xbox 360, and look at the top 10 SNES games and tell me what you see.
As for movies, I definitely think so. Most movies back then usually had nudity; it was actually much more common since people saw it as a normal thing rather than something to be shocked by.
Toys? I don't even understand. Toys are meant to be childish in the first place, so I don't know how they can get more childish.

But, not that it matters in the first place. I find childish themes to be much more enjoyable than mature themes; I don't care about social segregation, the disturbing impact of war, and political corruption as much as catching them all.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
You seem to be suggesting that "kid-friendly" is synonymous with "bad". Which isn't true at all.

I'm willing to bet that most normal adults would rather watch something kid-friendly like Star Wars than some deep psychological drama.
That misrepresents a number of things. People don't like Star Wars because it's kid friendly (which, in itself, is arguable; there's a lot of violence in that movie). People like it because it tells a great story and has great characters. Likewise, if said psychological drama manages to be entertaining, many people will like it. And I'm sure you could find many adults that dislike Star Wars and would rather watch something else; I find the implication that these adults are "abnormal" rather offensive (I'm not one, though; I love Star Wars).

That's not to say kid-friendly is synonymous with bad, though; nobody said or implied that. The problem is when developers are too afraid to touch sensitive themes out of fear of some sort of backlash. A classic example of this is sex; you'll find all sorts of TV shows with people shooting, bleeding, and even dying, but you'll never see sex or even nudity on TV. I dare you to try to find a commercial that mentions the word "penis;" none of them do, not even the ones selling products FOR that organ. In Pokemon, the example is "Gamblers;" they changed them to "Gamers" to avoid a potential backlash from people that might think "gambling" is an inappropriate theme for children.

Mattysaurus

Take it slow, braaah
Years
I live in Vegas and I don't have the urge to go gamble. I mean, blah. I'd much rather spend it on a.. show or something. Something to go and hang out with my friends. But that's just me. I don't know how the other kids here are and I don't know how the kids where you guys live are.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 2, 2013
It seems lots of people have messed up priorities, and that may be part of the dissonance.

You know, a kid may shout "f*** you", flip you the bird and kick you in the balls, but more often than not it's because he wants his fire truck back. It's just repeating what he's exposed to. I don't think it's toys that are the issue- kids are supposed to be naive to a point- it's them getting exposed to the stuff that isn't really meant for them, but they have access to it anyway.

Anxiety.

Walking on sunshine.
Years
I think there's too much for kids. I mean, they need all of this stuff, but we're sheltering them far too much. I don't think they should see sex at that age, or serious violence, either, but maybe you should... hint onto it as they get older? Ease them into it?

Oh and, yeah, I'm one of those people who would much rather watch some physcological movie, filled with great twists and one that really squeezes your brain up until the end when its all explained and you kinda go 'Ahhh... wait, I need to watch it again' and then, even knowing the twist, you can still enjoy it just as much.
That's my kind of movie.

Melody

Banned
Years
I agree that SOME companies which make kid-aimed products, productions and games tend to overstep their authority and enforce conservative values too strongly.

Nintendo of America is guilty of this and so is Apple.

Honesly, I don't think these companies should care if the minority of parents/conservative whackjobs are *****ing about something in what they're making to be 'wrong'. If the parents don't think it's good for their kids, they have the power to not let their kids have/see that stuff. The company won't lose much revenue. >_>

Weatherman Kiyoshi

~Having one of THOSE days
Years
Looking back at original series/etc.,
I think yes, Pokemon has gotten a tad bit more kid friendly then we remember it.

The anime especially.

So until the anime gets to be like:
'"OH MY GOODNESS, LET'S GO TO SUNYSHORE CITY AND GET THE BEACON BADGE BY BEFRIENDING THE POKEMON WITH GUMDROPS THEN GO HAVE A TEA PARTY WITH BIG DODRIO YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY"

We really have nothing to fret about.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 3, 2015
I think in some senses maybe there's more kiddie stuff. But, at the same time as others mentioned, there is also more M and more adult themed things as well. Just look at even teen programming.. compare the sexual content from Gossip Girl back to Dawson's Creek or the old 90210 to the new one. I guess it really depends on what you're talking about here, too.

Pokémon becoming more kiddie is not so unusual since most people tend to think of it as a 'kids' thing anyway. I wouldn't say music is very kid friendly anymore since everyday pop music and R&B is becoming very sexual and provocative as compared to the 90's like early Britney Spears or Backstreet Boys. Movies are a different story because sometimes you can be watching a family friendly movie and hear a random curse word thrown in or some nudity, and other times there will be completely over done family movies where there's nothing provocative or bad in them at all for kids.

As for kids being more disrespectful, or people worrying kids will gamble.. that has nothing to really do with what they play on a video game or see in a cartoon. I think it more has to do with the fact that adults expose them to violence with M games already (my cousin who's 5 has played Grand theft Auto...) and R movies or they have older siblings who like to listen to rap and swear all day long as long as they're breathing. I really think it all depends on what that particular child is around at times and how the parents affect the behavior by teaching them not to pick up those bad habits at a young age.

DXrobots

Just a passing through trainer
Years
Being a toy collector I have noticed toys have become a lot more kid friendly like dulling down sharp edges for no reason kids aren't stupid they not going to purposely jam things into their eyes

loliwin

→ Level 69
Years
The Wii is getting games that are kid-friendly. Like the only new games that I see on the Wii are Party games. :(

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 6, 2013
I think that the norm is becoming more kid-friendly and what is considered 'for kids' is what i would consider 'for todlers' a few years ago.

Final Fantasy is a great example of how much tighter we have gotten about what is acceptable for young children. FFVII was 11+ (in the UK) and contained violence, blood, swearing, you name it. FFXIII contains only one of those things, Violence, and yet is a 16+.

The anime has also become less hardcore (not that it ever was) in an attempt to prolong childrens naivety. In the early series we had very violent fearows and pokemon hunting, among other (albeit rather unexplored) themes such as the use of pokemon for food. it was kid-friendly for the time, today that would probably be an 18+ for show only after midnight. The villainous teams in the games have become increasingly more far-fetched. Team Rocket seemed a bit like a threat because their goal was plausible. To go from a lust for money or whatever to wanting to make the sea larger to wanting to reshape space and time makes the games more cartoony, and more light-hearted as a result. Even the rivals have become less threatening, Silver looks nowhere near as menacing as in Generation II, and Petrel (the rocket executive) looks about as threatening as a bathroom sponge.

Yet we have rappers and R&B singers bragging about their money and their boy/girlfriends and themselves in a rather sexual way, yet they don't have one of them sticker things.

To be honest, its not the rating that affects me, i make my own judgement about TV and have done since i was about six. It's when companies change things that were once good to fit these stupid guidelines. What im trying to say is that the bbfc or OFCOM or whomever should lay off a bit, and let parents and children make their own judgements, because they're more responsible than what they get credit for

Last edited:

Captain Hobo.

Posting King
Years
  • Seen Sep 4, 2011
No, the movies arn't getting to kid friendly. They toys are in the middle. The game aren't to kid friendly anymore.

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
Years
Being a toy collector I have noticed toys have become a lot more kid friendly like dulling down sharp edges for no reason kids aren't stupid they not going to purposely jam things into their eyes

Maybe not their own eyes, but....... (x_o)

Years
  • Seen Nov 15, 2015
Thats the exact reason I din't last 1 gym leader in HGSS :(...... wish I'd pushed further though.

Im anticipating the new Black and White ones to be atleast a bit more mature themed.

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
Years
^ I'm already fretting all over it.

Not all though, but we can all send our comments to the different movie and toy companies. -_-'

Back