• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Killing me inside

Usul

Cease my heart beat's weave.
Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2013
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    There are some interesting things that you can do with this poem to really highlight its strengths, and make it stand out from other poems. It has a lot of strong descriptions, which as of now aren't very attached to a single story that stands out from the poem.

One thing I would consider is stanza length. Generally when one chooses a standard length as you have, there's a very specific reason to do so. It looks like you could really benefit from varying stanza lengths, to highlight the different thoughts you have about the situation at hand. You could use a short one to describe something about her than you miss, then a longer one to tell the main story, and alternate like that. Even if you don't want to do that, it would really spice up the poem to look into that.

Another thing I would focus on is the story you're trying to tell. Do you want to tell the story of how she left, while peppering in the descriptions of how you feel now? Do you want to go through an average day in your life now that she's gone? Do you want to flash back to the good times and then contrast them with pain now? As long as you have a good story in mind, it would help give your poem some direction. As of now it doesn't seem to be telling anything, just describing, which doesn't hold attention very well for longer poems. I wouldn't suggest losing the description, but I would weave it into a storyline so it has more context and is easier to follow.

You have some great imagery in there, I'm particularly fond of the idea of a smooth memory. With a little bit of work you can play on those strong words and make it a really interesting poem to read :)

Usul

Cease my heart beat's weave.
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2013
    This is the long version, there's a short/normal version in progress though. (Seeing it was really hard to express.) Thanks for your feedback. c:

Back