• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Kingdra, Lapras, or Vaporeon?

Heart Gold

Jellicent Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2012
    Which one of those should I use for my game?

My team is:

Quilava
    Gastly

I don't know which one of those I should use...

BillySwane

Inspector of Fishes and Eels
    Years
    Lapras isnt much of a offensive pokemon in my eyes but she is a beauty in defensive moves.

In the end it stands between Vaporeon and Kingdra, both are good fighters but Id take Vaporeon for its HP-stat.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    Lapras imo, it has the best level-up movepool out of the three, gets Ice STAB, is bulky but has decent enough offense stats for in-game, and learns Ice Shard which would be useful for Lance's fast Dragons I assume. Kingdra does have Water + Dragon that gives perfect coverage, but it learns Dragon Pulse very late (and the TM is received late as well). Twister is its best Dragon move outside of that and tutor moves. :\ And you get it a lot later in the game compared to the other two. Vaporeon really only has a stronger Surf, and Water Stone is obtained pretty late in the game...

Heart Gold

Jellicent Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2012
    Hmm... I'm aiming more towards Vaporeon and Kingdra. I have TM Ice Beam so I don't really want Lapras...

yaya0

は真優勝
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2015
    If all else fails, you can catch a Krabby.

Xynic

Pokémon Expert
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2010
    I'd go with Kingdra since it's only got one weakness which is Dragon, also the overall stats are pretty decent.

Ilovetogepi

Pokemon master....in training
    Years
    Vapeoron. (? cant spell)Kindra is okay,but really overused. In competitive battling, it would probably be guessed easily.I like that it has only one weakness. But really is your choice.

Heart Gold

Jellicent Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2012
    Kingdra is probably the best choice. It's not really over-used, and I'm not into competitive battling. Thanks guys, I'm going with Kingdra.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
    Lapras has 10x the movepool kingdra wishes it had. It gets Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Hydro Pump, Surf, Sing, Psychic and a bunch of others. It also has water absorb for an ability which is funsies. Lapras also has Dragon Dance, Ice Shard and Waterfall if you feel like going physical.

Vappy is honestly horrible in game. Kingdra is ok but its movepool is horrible

I will make a list of pros and cons of every mon.

Lapras:
    Pros- Water Absorb, Wide movepool, really bulky so you wont have to use potions to heal it, water absorb also helps with this, can be caught earlier than the other 2 pokemon listed
    Cons- There are better water types imo, like Poliwrath or Cloyster, kinda has moveslot syndrome

Vaporeon:
    Pros: Also has water absorb, is also pretty bulky, get it in Goldrenrod city, which is pretty early
    Cons: Doesn't get anything really outside of surf/hydro pump/ice beam/return

Kingdra:
    Pros: Dragon/Water only has 1 weakness, limited but all inclusive movepool (Dragon + Water gets rid of just about everything)
    Cons: Evolves via trade, need to do mt mortar to get dragon scale, Horsea is caught late game, kingdra is frail :(

Of all those pros and cons i think Lapras stands out as a clear cut winner, you can get it early in game and its really got a fantastic movepool.

Heart Gold

Jellicent Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2012
    I already have a Horsea from the Pokewalker with Modest and Swift Swim, so I don't care about late-game or early-game stuff. I still think Kingdra out wins them all because of it's typing, and it's not very frail actually.

Ruin Maniac

Booshka
    Years
    For me it would be Vaporeon hands down, due to its beast HP and DEF. The only problem with Vaporeon is the movepool. I currently have a Vaporeon on FireRed, which knows Surf,Aurora beam, Blizzard and Bite. i had to teach it Aurora beam and Blizzard, and it doesn't learn Hydro Pump till like the seventies..

Years
    i'd say lapras because if u can go to the safari zone and move around them to all the water ones (if u have surf) u mite get lucky and catch a high lvl one like me a lvl 46 lapras

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
    I know you said you didn't want Lapras, but it really is the best of the three choices.

It's high defensives provides you a nice barrier from attack, if it knows Water Absorb it's much more useful and if it has a Nevermeltice/Ice Beam combo, most high leveled Dragons seen on many competitive teams will get booted instantly. You will have to deal with reduced speed, but Dragon's Dance can make up for that.

Kingdra is good, but it's so hard to EV train it properly. You'd have to use DPPt with EV items to get it to do what you want.

Vaporeon should not be considered. Pure Water is very easily countered, even by simple NPCs.

BigBlastoise

The Big B-Turtle
    Years
    Lapras is okay because it can learn a lot of ice moves which obliterates the grass-type competition.

Kingdra is okay because it can learn electric moves (shock wave). But, since flying-types don't pose a threat to water-types, I guess that is kind of unneeded.

Vaporeon kinda stinks. Doesn't learn many good moves and it isn't very fast either...

Back