• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Konfuzzled x_x

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
Years
This has happened to me with my neighbours and people who live near me and are similarly aged. When we were kids back then we used to be really huge friends with each other, always hanging out after school, playing football and always going around each others houses. Then high school came around, and we all went to different schools. First few years we managed to stay together, but as time passed we eventually drifted away and away and now it's awkward to even see each other anymore. It's weird because we still live close to each other, like none of us have moved houses, but because of all the time we didn't hang out and got different friends our interests started to change and now I don't even know some of them anymore. They seem like completely different people now, but the memories I have of them makes me pretty sad as we used to be so close when we were kids, where I guess it was a lot simpler since we all went to the same primary school.

I hadn't thought about it deeply before but now that I do, I wish we still at least saw each other from time to time. It's too late now though.

Pumpkaboo

Peek-a-boo
Years
I think it happens to everyone, especially when it comes to online relationships. Scientific studies say that on average most friendships only last 7 years before people start moving away from each other or begin to develop less contact.

Altair1

Willpower
Years
I no longer have any friends, I stopped talking to them and I haven't really heard from them ever since school ended.
I get along with people at work but I don't see them outside of the workplace. Not that it bothers me though.

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
It happens. Best friends sometimes drift apart, but a lot of times it doesn't last. Even if you drift apart for a few months or even a few years, sometimes you always end up looping back around to each other. It's happened to me, and with a couple other friends, and my mom has said that it happened with her and her best friend - they didn't talk through most of high school, but then reconnected in college.

I think it's normal, people change, but in the end you still care about each other and find a way to get back in contact eventually.

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
Years
  • Age 35
  • US
  • Seen Aug 7, 2016
I think it happens to everyone, especially when it comes to online relationships. Scientific studies say that on average most friendships only last 7 years before people start moving away from each other or begin to develop less contact.

I don't know, I don't like to relegate my relationships to statistics. Just because it happens a lot doesn't mean it needs to happen to me :(

When I make a friend, I usually intend it to last for the foreseeable future unless something serious enough happens to get in the way of that. Accepting it as a reality is like preparing yourself to let it go at some point and I'd never do that :/

Kakarot1212

Resident Programmer
Years
Fortunately, i dont have a friend like that ^_^ . All of us contacts each other once in while. :S

And hopefully, none of us will do such thing. ^^

Honest

Hi!
Years
It's happened, and is probably happening right now, really. The problem with social media is the disconnect it creates while connecting us with people. We get so used to being able to contact one another over a screen, real life interaction becomes scarce. It's when people get lazy, or are too busy, that the real falling out happens. My best friend and I rarely talk nowadays, cause we're both like mad, and it sucks. We still try every now and then to talk, and we do, but it's not the same as it once was.

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
Years
  • Age 35
  • US
  • Seen Aug 7, 2016
It's happened, and is probably happening right now, really. The problem with social media is the disconnect it creates while connecting us with people. We get so used to being able to contact one another over a screen, real life interaction becomes scarce. It's when people get lazy, or are too busy, that the real falling out happens. My best friend and I rarely talk nowadays, cause we're both like mad, and it sucks. We still try every now and then to talk, and we do, but it's not the same as it once was.

Right on about social media man, it's creating a generation of socially inept people who are more comfortable with a display of text rather than a face. The disparity is getting larger every day, especially with social networks like Facebook opening up to children of any age (once upon a time you needed a university email to register!). Why do 9 year olds have iPhones and Instagram accounts?

When I have kids, they are NOT signing up for any of that crap until they're way older and have developed some manner of social skills :/

Crux

Evermore
Years
Well, people drift apart. It's sad, but whether it was a misunderstanding, or just a change of interests, it's something that happens.

If you don't want it to, then either pull them back to you, or strive to reach them. But remember that even friendships sail, and you can't stop them from leaving if they really want to.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
One of the best things about the internet is that you can keep up friendships that otherwise would have died because of the distance. On the same coin, one of the worst things about the internet is that you feel obliged to keep as many friendships going as possible because distance is no longer an issue. Relationships that weren't all that close to begin with can't die off with dignity anymore because there's "no reason to" since it's so easy to keep in touch.

I've been the one drifted away from and I've purposefully drifted away from others before. Yeah, it sucks, but sometimes you just lose your spark with someone. Sometimes they haven't even done anything wrong but you just lose interest in your relationship and despite attempts to jump start it, there's just nothing you can do but let yourself drift off. Maybe one day you'll find each other again and the spark will relight on its own but relationships (and I mean platonic or otherwise) just aren't something that can be forced and you've gotta know when to call it quits. :(

Besides, every so often you get one of those friends where you can ignore/not talk to each other for weeks or months at a time and when you do manage to see each other or talk to each other, it's like no time has passed. I never mind if I drift a bit from people like that because I know eventually things will be right back to normal.

Back