• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Kotone's English Name

How did you feel about Kotone's Official English Name?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gov. Marley

Wakes the Thought Police
    Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2010
    I'm thinking Melody or something. They're probably going to keep the music/sound theme, just like they kept the light theme with the Sinnoh characters.

You know, I'll bet they're going to give Gold a new name, too. They gave him a "real name" in Japanese, so... I'll bet they'll do it in English, too.
    They can do whatever they want; I'm still gonna name him Gold.

Ochigi

Epic Bi Dude
    Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2010
    I think it will be Mary.The male character will be Jesse.From the Whats it called..idk chronicles

Years
    I think it will be Mary.The male character will be Jesse.From the Whats it called..idk chronicles

I thought his name was Jimmy....

Gary, Barry, then Mary...O.o hm...idk.

I think Kotone's English name might be Harper... I read somewhere that Kotone means "sound of the harp."

KOTONE
    Usage: Japanese
    Other Scripts: 琴音 (Japanese)
    From Japanese 琴 (koto) "harp, lute" and 音 (ne) "sound".
    Spoiler:

For those curious about Hibiki...
    HIBIKI
    Usage: Japanese
    Other Scripts: 響 (Japanese)
    Means "echo, sound" in Japanese.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Well, as far as version based names, probably Soul. But that's obvious.

Melody would be good, I suppose. Harper sounds odd to me personally.

And what is this about theme naming? I don't see it.

Ellie

Sweet Punch!
    Years
    Its Soul. Since your rival is silver and the original female was crystal they named her soul. just liek how the new girl was named leaf in fr/lg. but she is also referred to as blue (since she is called this in the manga and since no character has the name blue anymore since the guy who was blue is now green) so wait until the manga comes out or something that might have a good name for her.....or just go with Soul. The names for the characters for the first two generation were based off of the game names in America. and fr/lg still followed that rule so that might apply here too.....
    "Leaf" is a fan name for her. Technically she has no dub name since she never appeared in the anime (I know anime =/= games but they often have the same names) and it's debatable whether she's meant to be the same as Blue from Pokespecial or not. So don't go off of fan names as basis for what will be her dub name.

And I don't know if they'll give Hibiki his name from Chronicles. They didn't do so with Kris, whose name is Marina in Chronicles, and some people think Chronicles is non-canon anyways :x

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2011
    I think her name will be Kris. Just like in G/S/C.

(I can imagine this be responded to in a negative way a lot of times). -__-

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2016
    I like the name Kotone and Soul,I'll probably use both of those in each of the games.
    Something musically would be nice now that it was brought up,maybe a unique one or one as simple as "Belle".

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    I'm really hoping for the name Harmony (harmonizing musical voices or instruments). But Soul would be an awesome name for her to have, and even still, Kotone is an awesome name in itself - the sound of a harp. :) Anyway, I've heard lots of nice suggestions so far.

I will LOL if she gets named Kris, though.

Hatenko

Hiya!
    Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2010
    I still think Soul. "Kotone" is just breaking the partial pattern. If she's replacing Kris, her name has to follow the pattern.

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
    Years
    Hm...

I have no clue tbh...

Kotone, Kristen, Melody, Harmony, all sound really good to me.

I actually laughed when GymLeaderLily said "Harper" (sorry Lily), but I guess that could work out too with some effort.
    It doesn't sound right in my ears though. I didn't even know Harper was a first name at all?

The thing is, I can't really force myself to care that much about her. I'd only be playing as Gold (that's right. I'm not changing my mind about that!), so she would just be a small character anyways, and I wouldn't really give her much thought. I would call her whatever the game puked up for me (I just felt like saying that, pardon me), unless it's something really, really bad, in which case I'd just call her Kotone or Soul.

Spoiler: in my fan-fictions
    Spoiler:

So basicly, this post just constates the case so far. I guess I just hope we will be happy when the actual english name actually gets puked out (sorry, couldn't resist :cer_tongue:).

Last edited:

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    She DOES look like an Amy lol!

and Harper's a dude name but you don't hear it very often :)

I wanna see her named Irene! but that wouldn't work very well lol

Rooting for Melody in this case.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back