• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Kris vs Lyra

Kris or Lyra?

• Kris!

Votes: 33 60.0%
  • Lyra!

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Bleh, neither.

Votes: 6 10.9%

• Total voters

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
  • The two female protagonists of the Gen II/Gen IV Johto series, each with their differences and their own unique qualities and some similarities. But between these two girls, which do you most prefer? Perhaps Kris, as the memories you made while playing as her in the original games just can't be beaten, or maybe the modern protagonist Lyra, who brought a fresh edge on the series? Your choice!

Personally, I prefer Lyra. Mainly due to the fact that I never played Crystal myself and as a result never got to 'know' Kris so to speak. With Lyra however in HGSS, although I never played as her, the game provided somewhat of a small backstory to her life and the little scenes where the protagonist met up with her throughout their journey made me like her just that little bit more.

Last edited:

Plasmette

Master of Mediocrity.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2013
    I've always liked Kris better than Lyra. Lyra's design is stupid, with her stupid mushroomy hat and stupid looking overalls. There was nothing wrong with Kris. I guess they replaced her because the name didn't fit because they were remakes of G/S as opposed to Kris...
    Still, they could have just given her a name swap like they did with Ethan.

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
  • Neither one of them stood out to me as much. I like them both. I like the originals better, but Kotone is okay too. I really can't choose, I don't hate either one of them.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Kris has a great design and I am a bit biased because of my love of Crystal, but I'd be lying if I said I disliked Lyra's design.
    It's kind of difficult to explain, but I feel Lyra's design is a bit more modern when compared to Kris's. Perhaps it's because I've grown more used to Lyra, but I have to go with her in this case. I love the bright colors and that silly, poofy hat (especially those ribbons)!

Last edited:

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
  • Between the two, I feel myself leaning a bit towards Lyra. I mean, I like both of their designs, and even though nostalgia usually wins in my cases, I just never really got to know Kris that much. I mean, she only appeared in Crystal back in the days, and Crystal was the game I never got to play at that time, so I didn't actually know of her existence. I also feel like Lyra was given more of a personality, as she made appearances in the games where she wasn't a main character, much like May and Dawn. She also have a more... unique of clothing than Kris, so yeah, Lyra would win.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Normally I'm not one to get hit by the nostalgic factor, but in this case I actually find myself leaning more towards Kris. Nothing against Lyra, but I always found Kris as the better alternative protagonist to Gold. Kris is the one female protagonist design-wise who really came off as the type of girl who isn't all cute, but ready for adventure and not all perfectly clean cut around the edges. Sure, the Pokémon Chronicles softened her up a bit as the character Marina, but I've always found myself more drawn towards Kris' character more so than Lyra.

If there's one thing Kris could have benefited from though is the back story that Lyra was able to get in HG/SS. I believe if Kris had that, then people would have been able to connect with the character some more on a personal level. Then again, maybe I'm just over thinking this.

Short answer, I choose Kris.

Sakura Rain

→Let's laugh at everything!
    Years
  • I pick Kris. Crystal holds a special place in my heart, being my second-favorite Pokemon game (the first, funnily enough, is White, but that will probably change when/if we get R/S/E remakes and upon the stateside release of White 2) but I just always loved Kris and I was heartbroken to see Lyra in her place.

No offense to anyone who likes Lyra, I just don't like her design one bit. I don't like the hat, I don't like the stupid ribbons, I don't like the overalls, I just don't like her. As far as female protags go, Lyra is definitely at the bottom of my list. Kris definitely could've benefited from a bit of backstory, but that really wasn't what Pokemon was about back in the 90's, so what can you do?

Last edited:

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I don't like Lyra at all, and I don't understand why there are people who are like, obsessed with her. :/ She looks like she's going to fall over in her sprite, too, which I find kind of weird.

Crystal was one of my favorite games too so I'll go with Kris.

Mentalii

Back
    Years
  • Krys all the way. She's THE very first protagonist girl.
    Who, girls, didn't jump for joy when she read (on the version Crystal box) that it was possible to play with obviously a boy, but also with a girl ? And at least, she looks like a true trainer, a badass trainer that will reach the title of champion. You can read it in her eyes.
    Why did they get rid of this awesome trainer to put Lyra instead? That's a shame, a real shame. I don't understand, Gold (the male protagonist) is in the remake, so, where is Kris? What's that girl who go on a journey wearing slippers? We wanted Kris, Game Freak. She's one of the symbol of the 2nd generation, we needed her.

Cid

Years
  • Kris. A huge reason for this would be PokéSpe, as unrelated as that may be to the subject at hand. Most of the time, Lyra is preferred over Kris because she has more of a backstory than her retro counterpart. Or for her clothes, but I'm not like that. Anyway, this reasoning does not make me favour Lyra at all because I already had an established characterization of Kris from her PokéSpe character. And since I generally didn't feel Lyra's addition was necessary, along with how agreeable everything that Hiiro said was, all the more reason to stick with the original female protagonist.

I like both of them, I just prefer Kris over Lyra a little bit.

Years
  • Kris is my favorite. Lyra is just not at all interesting to me. I loved Kris and wish she were in HGSS instead of Lyra :/

Mystical Mermaid

Resident Mermaid
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Jul 22, 2012
    Admittedly, I'm writing this post with my nostalgia filter set to high. Still, I'll always prefer Kris. Crystal was my favorite game in the series until the release of Black and White, and will always hold a special place in my heart. I think her design is more plausible than Lyra's, and she looks to be more of a tomboy, similarly to Hilda. While I do think Lyra's outfit is cute with her overalls and puffy hat, I don't think she looks like protagonist material with it. Actually, when I first saw her picture I thought she was a female version of Mario, and to this day still associate her image with that. Jokes aside, I'd more expect to see her running a preschool with that outfit than out on an adventure.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I don't care about either of them. Indeed, I didn't realise there was any difference between them until reading this thread. I'm going to join that other lonely person who voted 'Bleh, neither.' and we can hold a party dedicated to our indifference about both of them.

Years
  • I picked Lyra cos I played HG/SS and she's really cute.

Kris vs Lyra

I like the cute pigtails she has in her hair plus it matches my hair color irl.

Also, unlike Kris who only appeared in Crystal, Lyra appears in HG/SS which is a favorite among true Pokemon fans and I love her anime appearance. Not to mention all the cool fanart Lyra gets.

So yeah, Lyra for me cos I look a lot like her.

bewbs

~Chloe~
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    I like Kris more because she's more serious, but I like Lyra as well.

silverexorcist

Individualism in Normalcy!
    Years
  • I love Chris tenfold compared to Lyra, mostly because of issues with the HG/SS manga. That aside, Chris is a nastolgic character for me and the pain of finding out that she wasn't going to be in HG/SS games, not even with a redesign, is etched like a scar into me. Lyra isn't bad, but in my opinion, they had her take the spot of the wrong character.

Years
  • Neither. To be truthful I didn't really get attached to these gals.
    While Kris may be a childhood nostalgia icon (or whatever you call 'em), not for me. Lyra didn't even get a second glance from me. As they never have their personalities actually fleshed out, maybe a bit of Lyra, (except in spin-offs/somethings from the game a.k.a. manga [Crystal] and anime/cartoon [that Marill!]) other than having an interest in being a trainer, screwing around with evil organizations, and beating everyone in their path, I say this: Neither.

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2012
    I don't like Lyra's character design at all, and because of that, I don't really like her much. I think she's really annoying, and not in the redeeming Barry kind of way.

Back