• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

La Nouvelle Vague? O rock progressivo italiano?

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Couldn't think of a better thread title. This is about media from non-English language countries.

Most of us have our favourite bands, films and TV shows. In most cases, these will come from either Britain or America (and sometimes Japan), seeing as both of these countries have affected global culture the most and seeing as everyone here speaks English.

But there's a whole other world of media out there, from many countries across the globe. Does anyone listen to music from non-English speaking countries, or watch non-English language films/TV? This is just a general thread to list your favourites, discuss any foreign media or just rant on about anything you know.

But please don't post about anime or J-pop, because otherwise they will probably end up dominating the thread. I think it's fairly obvious that a lot of people here enjoy that, as it has got it's own section.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I listen to plenty of foreign bands, though most of which speak English in their music. I'm not sure if this is what you meant or if you meant foreign music with no English at all? :P

Either way, some foreign bands/artists I listen to... M83 (France), EF (Sweden), Riverside (Poland), Swallow the Sun (Finland), port-royal (Italy), Epica (Netherlands), Nahemah (Spain), Mono (Japan), Sigur Rós (Iceland)

I must say that most of my foreign music is Scandinavian-based, especially Swedish. They make such wonderful music in that country.

Years
  • Okay, lets see... not much for lesser known bands, and most of my taste in bands from non-English-speaking countries speak English in their songs, but here goes: ABBA, Hammerfall, Blind Guardian, Rammstein, Stratovarius, Edguy, and... that's all I can think off at the moment.

otaku-dono

Merkabah
    Years
  • Uh let's see... I have a Polish band (instrumental but still), a myriad of German bands (OOMPH!, Megaherz, Eisbrecher, Silber, Rammstein, etc), a French band (Gojira), a few Swedish bands (Opeth, Meshuggah), an Italian band (Lacuna Coil), a Finnish band or two (Nightwish)... Even though most of them have English vocals, they come from a variety of places.

Ayselipera

Well I don't listen to modern or mainstream music in other languages, but I do like opera. Having listened to English opera before it's really bland and not at all as relaxing as say French or Italian opera. I've heard that English is a terrible language for opera because it's the language of business where as French and Italian is the language of love. I'm not sure if that's it or if it's just the fact that I can understand English so it loses its relaxing qualities during opera and just becomes more comical.

The only other foreign media I take an interest in is foreign film. I know a lot of people who refuse to watch anything foreign because they hate reading subtitles, but it's never bothered me. At the moment the only foreign film I can think of that I saw is Pan's Labyrinth. It wasn't exactly what I expected going in, but I really enjoyed it nonetheless.

Having just thought of it I do always stop on the Spanish channel when I'm flipping through the TV. I don't understand Spanish at all, but that's what makes watching it so much fun. Their game shows are hilarious to watch. xD Also there's this Asian game show that comes on Spike TV (man channel) that American announcers voice over where they do ridiculous challenges. It reminds me of the American version of Wipeout, but a lot funnier.

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    Yea I like lots of songs and movies from other countries especially France. That is one of the things I like about the Internet it makes it easier to find out about and buy foreign movies or music. Before the Internet was made I dunno how you would find out about them.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    Something about German media intrigues me. German comedy films (well, some anyway) are better than comedies in England recently (one springing to mind is my favourite film at the moment, and helped with my German GCSE revision a lot)

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
    Years
  • Oooh, I love Gotan Project. Their songs are typically in Spanish, I believe (forgive me please if it is Portuguese or something similar and I am confused...>__>) It is tango music that is really awesome.

Beyond that, though, I don't listen to much non-English/Japanese music. Same goes for movies, TV, books, and others

Back