• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Lack of Fire Types!

Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2012
    thats another reason i have to dislike d/p/pl. i dont love ponyta, and i strongly dislike the chimchar line. if they aded growlithe or ninetales, or even slugma, id be happy.

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
    Years
    I happen to really like Ponyta and Rapidash so I think I used them on one or two of my runs. I didn't notice the lack of fire types at first because I'm not really the biggest fan of that typing. But yeah now that you point it out, there is a serious lack of Fires here :/

Affliction

Booted out - don't be like me!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2016
    GreenMoon1996 said:
    Who's up to add HM LAVA SURF?!

Total awesomeness.

My favorite type was fire, so I was kinda disappointed.

Fire is one of my favourite types, and I really had a bore while playing Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum. I dislike the Ponyta line, and I also dislike the Chimchar line.

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
    Years
    I didn't play D or P, but I didn't mind the relative lack of them in Pt though I definitely was pleasantly surprised to find Houndour line in there, and I like Ponyta and Infernap. I do like the fire type, but I just saw it as an opportunity to use other types

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
    Yeah, Infernape, Magmortar and Heatran were the only Fire types introduced in Gen IV. It makes sense for Fire to be a scarce type, but seriously, only 3 new ones (one of which is a legendary, an awful looking one at that)? That's far too little.

I still stand by my opinion that Game Freak dropped the ball a bit with the Gen IV Pokemon. They redeemed themselves with Gen V. Just my take on it though.

Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2020
    I wasn't that disappointed. I was never too big on fire types, but I noticed this phenomenon. This is probably where DP fails.

Grif of Hearts

Que sera sera~
    Years
    It was never much of a problem for me. I've never been a huge fan of fire types and I've always liked both Rapidash and Ponyta. I do understand the value of fire types however, and I'm glad that they added plenty more fire types in Platinum, along with all of the other Pokemon that they added evolutions to but never added to the pre-Elite 4 game.

Generally it was a problem, but Platinum fixed it.

Back