• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Lack of fossil pokemon

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    One of the biggest disappointments in Gen 2 was lack of fossil pokemon. Not just the lack of the old fossil pokemon but also the lack of new fossil pokemon. Not only that but Gen 3 fossil pokemon and beyond dont just have that "prehistoric" look. So here is the "fossil pokemon that could've been" thread.

What would you have liked to see if there was Gen 2 fossil Pokemon?

First and foremost, Gen 2 had strong potential to have something based off the ice-age such as a Mammoth or a sabertooth tiger.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Well, actually, *one* fossil was available in GSC--You could trade Chansey for Aerodactyl on Route 14.

It was annoying that neither Omanyte or Kabuto were available in GSC, though. As to why Gen 2 didn't introduce any new fossils of its own, I think TV Tropes explains it best:

Each generation introduces a hundred or more new Mons, but while Pokemon Ruby And Sapphire and Pokemon Diamond And Pearl show off the new Pokémon as much as possible and Pokemon Black And White has only new Pokémon until after the credits roll, Pokemon Gold And Silver mostly relies on the original 151 with the others hanging around. Justified in-plot because Gen 2 happens right next to the setting of Gen 1, which is actually visited later in the game (the only games with this feature released since Gen 2 are the Gen 4 remakes of those games), while the others are further away, with Gen 5 focusing on new Pokémon more so than usual due to being even further away (Unova is implied to be in a different country, as the foreign Team Rocket Grunt in Gen 2 and their Gen 4 remakes is revealed to be from Unova, with the now-reformed Team Rocket Grunt residing in Unova's Icirrus City in Black and White). Flipside, it also means Gen 2 has very few expies and Suspiciously Similar Substitutes compared to later generations, with the vast majority of new Pokémon with similarities to old ones generally evolving from (or into) said old ones. Some of these weirdnesses make a return in X and Y.

The Gen 2 Pokémon were designed to compliment instead of replace the older Pokémon, unlike the Pokémon of Gens 3 and later, so GF didn't feel the need to make new fossils, as they felt that Omanyte/Kabuto/Aerodactyl were enough. The former two still should've been available in the games, however.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    even more reason to add more fossil pokemon as GSC was all about expanding and adding new discoveries. But this is all about hypothetical gen 2 fossil pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    If fossil Pokémon were to exist in generation two, I personally would have liked it if there was an evolution to Aerodactyl.

Aerodactyl is a great Pokémon on its own; thanks to its Speed and access to some moves we find to be viable in competitive battling, its popularity is relatively decent at the moment. However, if there had been an evolution for it, it could have meant better stats for the Pokémon overall, making it a lot more used than it currently is.

As for why I wish to have seen its evolution in generation two games, well, it would sort of make sense to me; since one of the goals of Gold, Silver, and Crystal was to introduce new evolutions for Kanto-based Pokémon, this would fit in quite nicely. Aside from Aerodactyl evolution, however, I don't believe I have much other ideas at the moment, sadly.

Zehn

[color=red][font=Foto Serif]Sacred[/font][/color][
    Years
  • Personally I never saw the apeal of the designs, quite frankly the opposite, there typing never realy worked in my opinion. With gen 1, they kinda worked, but I think it was just the greyscale graphics

Years
  • I never missed them in Gen II, Ive never really been a bit fan of the Fossil pokemon (the gen VI ones are cool though). Always having to be part rock really spoils it for me.

Also I think to a degree Unown was sort of Johtos fossil/ancient/novelty pokemon, with them being in the ruins of Alph, having loads of forms and being present in history

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    Its not so fun to see unown as fossil pokemon. their more hieroglyphics than anything else. it wouldn't have hurt though to add "2" additional fossil pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2015
    Honestly, I'd have just been happy if they hadn't introduced any, but just given you an actual opportunity to use Kanto's fossils for a reasonable portion of the game. I'm a big fan of Omanyte/Omastar, and I know lots of people like the Kabutops design, but never being able to use them before Cinnabar Island sucked.

If they had given a choice of fossils or something at the Ruins of Alph (or made them available there somehow), no one would have noticed that they didn't add more. It's the fact that there were none that makes it stand out. Gold and Silver really felt like expansions as much as new games. It just seems like they took the original games, refined them, and made improvements across the board (2 regions, nerfing psychic, etc). But the fossil mons were just forgotten somehow.

Ycia

Metal Generation.♥
    Years
  • Would be nice if they discovered the pokemon behind genesect. :P
    But I didn't really noticed it, maybe because the additional 100 pokemon is too much at that time. xD

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Yeah, it would have been good if they had expanded on omastar/kabutops in G/S/C. Maybe we could have see an evolution of them, or we could have been able to use them with the same fossils that we find in the Kanto regions of the game. As a kid, I always thought that the introduction of fossil Pokemon were col, especially aerodactyl! Aerodactyl is probably my favorite fossil Pokemon.

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    To be honest, when I played Gen 2, I don't even know that there aren't any new fossil Pokemon because although the idea of fossil Pokemon is great and I loved them, it's not necessary to introduce new fossil Pokemon for every generation, and it's not necessary to have new fossil Pokemon for a new generation in order to make it good.

If I were to introduce Gen 2 Fossil Pokemon, maybe some compliment evolutions for Aerodactyl will do.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • The Fossil Pokemon are some of my favourite Pokemon (e.g Kabutops) so it was a shame that there was such a lack of them in GSC. Which is strange considering how big and expansive the game is. Perhaps they wanted to focus more on the newer Johto Pokemon rather than running with the fossil theme. But even that sounds flimsy. Eh. That's probably one of very few negative things I have to say about GSC. Otherwise, they were pretty sound games for me!

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I'd like to add that the starters and the legendary birds were actually missing in GSC as well. I believe that was a marketing strategy, so that the Gen I games won't be completely left out while the Gen II games taking their limelight. (:

Back