• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Lack of water pokemon!

Maple Leaf

dazed and abused
Years
  • I only needed the Oshawott line, so it doesn't matter.

I don't even pay attention to these things. D; I just got through the game with the Oshawott line and others, and the lack of Water typed Pokemon didn't affect anything.

cazzler

Feraligatr FtW!
    Years
  • I used the Oshawott line and I thought that it was all I needed, I never really noticed the lack of water types, I wasn't really looking for one in particular while playing... But I do agree that there isn't much to work with at first regarding water types.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    People normally complain about there being too many Water Pokemon in general. Clearly Game Freak decided to cut down. A lot.

^ this ^

Gen 1. Its so annoying fighting all these Water Pokemon while surfing.
    Gen 2. Why do they have so much Water Pokemon. Why do I have to surf so much.
    Gen 3. I'm sick and tired of surfing everywhere. All these water Pokemon are so annoying.
    Gen 4. More surfing...More Water Pokemon...RAGE!

Gen 5......WHERE THE HELL ARE ALL MY WATER POKEMON?!

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Samurott was all I needed. Now, I'll agree that the choices of quality Water Pokemon is a bit lacking, but honestly, I've felt the same way about other Pokemon games as well.

And clearly fishing isn't meant th be one of the major ways to get Unova Pokemon - that's why you don't get it until the postgame. At least we don't have to suffer through the Magikarp catcher known as the Old Rod...

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    I noticed this before I got my game, like reading through reviews and stuff, that's partly why I chose Oshawott as a starter - so I knew I'd have at least one decent Water-type. Although I've traded for some others now, like Gyarados. But I do agree, the choice in Unova for Water-types isn't brilliant.

ObeyMudkips

Raichupacabra back up
    Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2017
    I agree. Everyone was complaining about Tentacool and Wingull yet when they (and other water types) disappear everyone starts bawing.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • the water Pokemon in this game (other than Sumorott in my opinion) is the best water type Pokemon from the 5th generation; i find that weird because usually in the other generations, there was always a better water type Pokemon other than the starter type. I think that maybe they could of added 3-4 more water type Pokemon into the game.

:t354:TG

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    I actually didn't use any water-types in my play-through of White. Pretty much the only water-type that appeals to my style of play would be Simipour, & even then, I was hard-pressed to find a use for it. I could just as easily take out fire-types with ground & rock attacks, the rock-types could be dealt with by fighting-types, & considering that two of the most commonly used ground-types in Unova also have a typing that's weak against fighting attacks, that pretty much leaves only Seismitoad & Carracosta, which melt in the face of anything grass-type.

The only part of the game in which I regretted not having a water-type is when I was fighting a trainer's Heatmor, & even then, it wasn't that big of an issue for me.

Last edited:

Kikpanther

Not a beginner that's for sure
    Years
  • I didn't notice the lack of water types actually. Swanna was all I needed, I was set.

But even if there is a lack of water-types, is it that big of a problem? You have the ones they give you, plus that magikarp the guy wants to sell you and super rod gives you tons of Poliwag. Not only that but you can transfer all the water types you got in HeartGold or Soulsilver and even in that you have all the water types you transfered over from FireRed or LeafGreen that were caught in the Palpark. You're pretty much set on water-types, yeah, they're not new, but you have billions. Even if I didn't transfer pokemon from Palpark I still don't have a problem with finding a water-type in my PC somewhere. And if you couldn't get anything from Palpark or the Gold and Silver remakes, you still have the GTS which makes every pokemon available all the time.

The lack of water-types definitely isn't an issue. What I did think was an issue was the overall lack of fire-types after thinking about it for a minute. I know that's normal, but... one!? Oh yeah, and there are a lot of bug types and half bug types flying around this place too.

Years
  • Samurott was all I needed. Now, I'll agree that the choices of quality Water Pokemon is a bit lacking, but honestly, I've felt the same way about other Pokemon games as well.

And clearly fishing isn't meant th be one of the major ways to get Unova Pokemon - that's why you don't get it until the postgame. At least we don't have to suffer through the Magikarp catcher known as the Old Rod...

I agree with Lisa (Elite Overlord LeSabre). I used Samurott as well and although mine has a Serious nature, he can still hit hard.

For those who didn't choose Oshawott as their starter, Panpour/Simipour is an option you could try (For Snivy players, you can get one from that girl in the Dreamyard; For Tepig players, you can catch Panpour in shaking grass in Pinwheel/Lostlorn Forest).

I don't really recommend Tympole/Palpitoad/Seismitoad as it can't learn Ice-type attacks (TM if you don't know).

Plus, Carracosta and Swanna have glaring weaknesses to Grass and Electric respectively.

Frillish/Jellicent is good for disabling, particularly if you get one with Cursed Body (my female Frillish in Black has this ability).

It's true, the only Pokemon on water in Unova are Basculin and Frillish. Although in rippling water Alomomola and Jellicent can be found too.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
  • I actually dislike Oshawott and Samurott.

I find it very surprising as well. There's a reason why there should be so many Water-type Pokemons. Our world, and the Pokemon, is mainly water. There should be tons and tons of Water-type Pokemons.

Retro Gamer'93

Pokemon Master of Kanto
    Years
  • ^ this ^

Gen 1. Its so annoying fighting all these Water Pokemon while surfing.
    Gen 2. Why do they have so much Water Pokemon. Why do I have to surf so much.
    Gen 3. I'm sick and tired of surfing everywhere. All these water Pokemon are so annoying.
    Gen 4. More surfing...More Water Pokemon...RAGE!

Gen 5......WHERE THE HELL ARE ALL MY WATER POKEMON?!
    ^This^ I totally laughed my ass off at this, mainly because It's so true, Gen 1-4 had all those water pokemon and even though you hated it you got used to it, then Gen 5 comes out and it's like "Where the F*ck are my water pokemon?!!"

Last edited:

MuffinPaula

「PONPON!? ??
    Years
  • I agree there weren't as many as the other regions. But Panpour, Simipour and Oshawott are enough for me :3

Retro Gamer'93

Pokemon Master of Kanto
    Years
  • Ok first off, this has nothing to do with this forum but I'm posting it anyway because I feel bad. I apologize to anyone that was offended by my post, I didn't realize that certain curse words were filtered when others where allowed, so I apologize for that, sorry everyone, won't happen again.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
  • They made it up with the abundance of Fighting types, but yeah. Water's more needed in game. I am on my second playthrough through Unova, and I've used all the water types I want to use (Jellicent, and Samurott) Basculin's meh. Swanna < Pelipper. Carracosta? C'mon.

PelipperMail

Banned
    Years
  • They made it up with the abundance of Fighting types, but yeah. Water's more needed in game. I am on my second playthrough through Unova, and I've used all the water types I want to use (Jellicent, and Samurott) Basculin's meh. Swanna < Pelipper. Carracosta? C'mon.

I'm not sure how a large number of fighting-types really makes up for the lack of water-types... they're nothing alike... lol.

I've used all of the water-types that I want to use too, there is no way I am going to use Basculin. It reminds me of Carvhana, and it isn't even strong.

MiracleNinetales

Ninja Assassin.
    Years
  • Black and White are the worst games when it comes to water type Pokemon But seriously, I had trouble trying to find decent water Pokemon, aside from my Samurott. There just wasn't enough water Pokemon, in my opinion.

Back