• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Lack of Water Routes

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
    As you probably know if you've played through the game before, is that there is a severe lack or Water Routes in the game. This means Surf and Waterfall aren't needed to get through the game anymore. A lack of Water Routes also generally means that there is a lack of new Water Pokemon for us to use, which is kind of bad. :/

How do you feel about the lack of Water Routes?

I, personally don't like the lack of them, as even the first generations still had at least one which you'd need to traverse in order to complete the game. Sure I wouldn't like a huge one, like Kanto's Pallet town to Cinnibar Island, or Hoenn's Lilycove City to pretty much everywhere else in the game, but at least one which you'd have to travel would be nice. Maybe if it was even just one Waterfall or something you had to climb right at the top of Victory Road, and you needed to Surf and Waterfall your way up there would be nice, but they didnt't even think about putting that in.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    A lot of people were complaining about the overabundance of water Pokemon in previous games. As far as not needing HMs to get through the game, I wouldn't mind them having Surf necessary to get through the game anyway, since it's not like the move isn't powerful in combat anyway.

Daikenki

Water Trainer
    Years
    There may not be more than one water route, but there is still a route where you can fish and swim on the ocean, and there is also Undella Bay which have the spiffy Abyssal Ruins. And they may not be required to beat the game, but you can still use waterfall to get hidden items, and you actually need it in the after game after defeating N to find a certain person.

I rather like the lack of water routes, even though I like water pokemon. They're just so tedious to get through, and I begin to lose interest in the games when I have to go back and forth with repels just so I don't get molested by tentacool. Not to mention I like linear paths, water routes I go insane over because I have to go sideways and backwards just to make sure I got every item and fought every trainer.
    But that's maybe because I'm a simpleton.

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Water pokemon are already the largest and most abundant types in pokemon. (Although that may be to reflect how the ocean is 70% of the planet Earth) I think it's fine if there wasn't a whole lot of water routers. I find them annoying too.

In D/P/Pt I was tired of wingulls, pelippers, tentacools, tentacruels, you name it.

Last edited:

Volroc

The Unpredictability Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    There may not be more than one water route, but there is still a route where you can fish and swim on the ocean, and there is also Undella Bay which have the spiffy Abyssal Ruins. And they may not be required to beat the game, but you can still use waterfall to get hidden items, and you actually need it in the after game after defeating N to find a certain person.

I rather like the lack of water routes, even though I like water pokemon. They're just so tedious to get through, and I begin to lose interest in the games when I have to go back and forth with repels just so I don't get molested by tentacool. Not to mention I like linear paths, water routes I go insane over because I have to go sideways and backwards just to make sure I got every item and fought every trainer.
    But that's maybe because I'm a simpleton.
    i have to agree with this, its nice to not have to work my butt off to get threw unneeded areas, plus i like not having to use HMs to get threw the game, HMs for story progression where always the worst idea in pokemon.
    I do miss having several move places to surf and even more so to DIVE, having only the abyssal ruins as the area to dive was pointless, i cant even figure the damn thing out ^^"

I hope the 3rd version adds a lil move to the dive aspect maybe make undella bay bigger, or make it part of 3 areas,or something, just to give us a lil most dive action

im happy theres NO TENTACOOL AT ALL btw.

Erufuun

apple bunny lover <3
    Years
    Well hey, at least we had one, right? :'D
    The only thing I was disappointed about the water was the fact that you don't get a rod till the end of the game. So you can't get Frillish till pretty late. ;-;

Years
    I think having one or two water routes is enough. I think they're needed to balance the game, as long as there isn't as many as in Hoenn :pink_shifty:. I mean, like, 8 routes?? ALL at the end of the game and same time (my Ludicolo got over 25 levels while I was there!! And it was my only Pokemon that got more than three or four levels)?? Nearly one quarter of the region... It was a nightmare...

you don't get a rod till the end of the game. So you can't get Frillish till pretty late. ;-;
    Surfing...??

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    I think having one or two water routes is enough. I think they're needed to balance the game, as long as there isn't as many as in Hoenn :pink_shifty:. I mean, like, 8 routes?? ALL at the end of the game and same time (my Ludicolo got over 25 levels while I was there!!)?? Nearly one quarter of the region... It was a nightmare...

That's what I kept thinking about. "Damn this ocean D:"

Hoenn was ridiculous with that. I was pretty glad when I found out Sinnoh doesn't have as much; especially Unova (:

TripLee

Superman
    Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2011
    I'm not going to complain about the lack of water routes, I'm just sad that they never really took you to a needed area (to a gym or something). Like everyone else has stated, at least it's not Hoenn.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    I don't miss them. Especially in Hoenn I found there were so many water routes, and it just felt so tedious getting through them and getting stopped by a billion Tentacool while I'm at it. The only thing that sucks about it is not getting access to Pokémon only found in the water, such as Frillish, until so much later in the game.

Shiro

Dad! Or should I say... Big cheese of Hoshido?
    Years
    Hoenn... e________e

I don't really mind the lack of water routes at all. Why would I miss them?
    They had a variety of, what, a whopping total of four or five Pokemon to encounter? How ~exciting~.

As for the Frillish problem, being able to get it as early as Twist Mountain isn't so bad imho. Heck, I got one from the GTS even before that.

marcc5m

what
    Years
    I like the lack of surfing routes. Means I get to keep my Max Repels for caves and long grass.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    I definitely approve of the lack of ocean routes, they are always a pain to traverse, especially seeing as (as mentioned above) they're wider than the screen so you have to go back and forth across it to make sure you don't miss anything, making the whole thing take five times longer.

I think it's a shame that there's not more Water-type Pokemon though, certainly compared to previous Generations. Basculin and Jellicent are cool I guess, Seismitoad is pretty cool, Carracosta is epic, but I don't like Swanna much, or Keldeo. In any case, Keldeo's not available yet so it hardly counts. The reason I think it's a shame is because I always like to have a Surfer on my team, so my options are really limited (until I transfer some of my collection across from HG). Having said that, it's not like you need Surf to finish the story, so maybe I could get away with not having a Surfer...

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I also don't like Simipour or Alomomola.

EDIT 2: How did I forget Samurott? He's cool too... I guess there's quite a few Water-types after all. They're just not all my cup of tea.

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2011
    I wish there was ONE water route required to get to a gym, but I can't believe I'm saying this because I hate water routes.

I guess there's quite a few Water-types after all. They're just not all my cup of tea.

Same here... that's why I have a random Staryu on my current team

Last edited:

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
    Years
    i am kinda disappointed i wanted to use surf ingame once for the main storyline but you dont. but im fine with it i guess

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
    How do you feel about the lack of Water Routes?
    I actually like the lack of water routes. Though, it does feel weird not needing Surf OR Waterfall to advance. What I don't like is the lack of Water-types. It makes having a surfing pokemon difficult to find when you didn't choose Samurott.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
    Finally. This is just the perfect game. I hate Surfing. I absolutely despise it. I love the lack of water routes.

Years
    I miss them, actually. I for one liked massive adventures like that, kept the game fresh, though overabundance or water trainers made it tiresome in Hoenn.

Though Unova has like what, 5?

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    I loved the rainy/grassy routes in Hoenn but I too disliked the amount of Ocean routes. It's understandable that Game Freak was trying to show off the Dive HM but in all honesty they could have done things a lot better by including more Island cities. They really could have expanded upon the idea and included whole chains of islands, but that's in the past.

Back to B/W, I can't say that the lack of water routes disappoints me that much, but not needing to use Surf? You've NEEDED to use Surf to progress since the days of Pokemon Blue and I don't see the reason to change now.

Back