• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Laptop won't turn on, and I'm sure it isn't the battery.

Years
    The title says it all. The reason that I'm sure it isn't the battery is that I just picked up my replacement battery and the new one doesn't work either. I have a Compaq Presario CQ62-214NR Notebook. I had it for about 7 months before it failed to turn on. If anyone could help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Years
    What does it do? Does it flash the power light for a bit and then turn off, or does it not turn on at all?

Also, have you tried removing the battery and just plugging it into the charger and try booting it up?

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Does the screen that says "COMPAQ" come up or does the screen just stay black? "It doesn't turn on" can mean different things to different people, try to be specific.

Years
    Does the screen that says "COMPAQ" come up or does the screen just stay black? "It doesn't turn on" can mean different things to different people, try to be specific.

I'm sure it's just that you didn't see this, but we've established this:

It doesn't turn on at all, and yes I have tried that.

"That" being popping the battery out and having it run solely off of AC power. So the BIOS flash screen doesn't show up.

I'd think it'd be your power supply having died, though it could be the system board itself.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    I'm sure it's just that you didn't see this, but we've established this:

"That" being popping the battery out and having it run solely off of AC power. So the BIOS flash screen doesn't show up.

I'd think it'd be your power supply having died, though it could be the system board itself.
    I saw it, I've had plenty of people tell me over the phone that "no, it won't turn on!" when they really mean "no, it won't get past boot" or "no, it won't log in." I'd like to clarify that nothing even displays on the monitor first.

Years
    I saw it, I've had plenty of people tell me over the phone that "no, it won't turn on!" when they really mean "no, it won't get past boot" or "no, it won't log in." I'd like to clarify that nothing even displays on the monitor first.

Haha, I know the feeling. Another common one is when things don't shut down properly and they freak out at the Normal/Safe/Recovery mode prompts. "It won't work. It's stuffed. I'm getting a Mac." *slap*

If it isn't POSTing, then I'd be rushing it off to warranty before it runs out.

Years
    1. Did they say that the battery would have to be charged?

2. If so, it might be your charge cord.
    2b. If not, then I dunno. Just check that power cord.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    This has happened to my laptop a few times. Try leaving your laptop alone for a few minutes, and then try to turn it on again.

Guest123_x1

If you can't start it up at all even with the power cord plugged in getting AC power, and you said it isn't the battery-it may be your system board is bad. I have a very old Compaq LTE laptop (from the early to mid 1990s) sitting around that won't turn on at all plugged in or not. (I have never been able to diagnose why, but I think it's the system board.)

Back