• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: "L'art pour l'art" - DCC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Along with my Famine/Feast Project, I so I don't bore myself with one thing, I decided to try some Paper Mario RPG sprites with GBA sprite restrictions. The fighting system could work. Thoughts?

Baby Peach -> Peach -> Star Queen/Fell Queen
    Paper_Peach.png

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 33
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Awesome man, haha. It's nice to see more shops open up around here. I've been thinking of opening up an icon shop myself, but I'm kind of on the fence about it.

VeranithasVI

I eat shades of #radred.
    Years
  • Another PSA from yours truly! I've started a rather large, rather easy, contest in the Arts & Designs sub-forum that every artists should get involved in! Big prizes to be won, and easy criteria. Hopefully I see you all in there! :)

Years
    • Age 33
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Pats on the back for being gutsy enough to post your own contest. I really, really like that in members; having that kind of initiative and desire to give to the community. I know I already alluded to this in your Icontest thread, but I felt the need to do so again because it's so few and far between.

I'll make sure your thread gets around through PC's twitter and whatnot and make sure everyone knows you're running this event. The more the better!

VeranithasVI

I eat shades of #radred.
    Years
  • Thank you so much, Fairy! I love this community with all of my heart, and I feel like the members should be rewarded for any little thing I can think of rewarding them with! ^.^

This place is my home way from home, and most definitely my internet home. I love it here. <3

Years
    • Age 33
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    D'aw, thanks JustTheFx! I really appreciate your support! I can promise that A&D really likes you too. <3

VeranithasVI

I eat shades of #radred.
    Years
  • I feel horrible that I didn't inform anyone that I'd be away for so long. But I'm back now and the contest is still up and running, if anybody wants to drop by and enter!

Thank you Fairy for locking the thread in the meantime; I'm going to push back the required submission date by a week so that anyone who's missed out can still get involved.

Years
  • I would love to see some fakemon, trainers, and evolution contests. Perhaps other pokemon related art competitions, or other popular art themes including Nintendo (Smash Bros, Mario, Zelda), or some other form of design competition that will elicit a good turnout given that this is a pokemon forum.

In order to garner more participants the entries should be open to pixel, digital, hand drawn/painted, or any other medium of art.

Judging should be based on design and execution. With an anonymous voting poll.

Does the wonderful Fairy approve?

VeranithasVI

I eat shades of #radred.
    Years
  • I'm on board with The Dark Avenger's idea. It'd be a brilliant way to showcase some of PC's amazing pixel/digital/hand-drawn artists.

Could I ask you guys if you'd be able to give me some critique on my current avatar, signature and the new banner I've uploaded as the 'welcome banner' to my shop? Please and thank you. ^.^

Years
  • I'm on board with The Dark Avenger's idea. It'd be a brilliant way to showcase some of PC's amazing pixel/digital/hand-drawn artists.

Could I ask you guys if you'd be able to give me some critique on my current avatar, signature and the new banner I've uploaded as the 'welcome banner' to my shop? Please and thank you. ^.^

Thanks.

I envy banner makers/photoshopper/digital artist types. I really love when there is cohesion but distinct images, as there is in yours.

The font looks great too! Often banners have cheesy/odd font, but yours really belongs. Also, the color choices are subdued yet effective along with the high contrast and lighting.

The only critique is that the images seem a bit pixelly on the edge of face in the signature. The avatar could also be crisper. Then again, I don't know what the original stock looks like.

Overall, the design and execution make for an effective theme. Great Jawb!

(Take everything I say with a grain of salt...I am not a icon/avi/sig maker by any means.)

VeranithasVI

I eat shades of #radred.
    Years
  • Thanks.

I envy banner makers/photoshopper/digital artist types. I really love when there is cohesion but distinct images, as there is in yours.

The font looks great too! Often banners have cheesy/odd font, but yours really belongs. Also, the color choices are subdued yet effective along with the high contrast and lighting.

The only critique is that the images seem a bit pixelly on the edge of face in the signature. The avatar could also be crisper. Then again, I don't know what the original stock looks like.

Overall, the design and execution make for an effective theme. Great Jawb!

(Take everything I say with a grain of salt...I am not a icon/avi/sig maker by any means.)

Aww thank you! That means a lot, honestly. I started using photoshop about three weeks ago, so any kind compliments really encourage me to continue improving!

Just for comparison, any word after the comma I just used will take you to the stock image for my avatar. Likewise, any word after the period I just used will take you to the stock image for the banner in my signature.

Years
  • Aww thank you! That means a lot, honestly. I started using photoshop about three weeks ago, so any kind compliments really encourage me to continue improving!

Just for comparison, any word after the comma I just used will take you to the stock image for my avatar. Likewise, any word after the period I just used will take you to the stock image for the banner in my signature.

Wow. I would never be able to be that proficient in three weeks. You should definitely continue doing what you are doing!

Yeah, the original image does have a pixelly effect on the face! I would consider searching that same image on google for different sizes and high quality. If you right click an image you can search image on google, and it will bring you to other sizes/quality of the image.

You can also soften edges of the image if you are not able to find the same image. Plus you have already put tons of work into the image. If I ever actual do dabble in photo/image editing (I only do pixel art), I line the edges and select a blur effect....but I am sure there is some more sophisticated way to do it.

It took me about two minutes to use a softening tool on the outline. And a reminder, this is a nitpicky suggestion...I love the artwork!
    Spoiler:

VeranithasVI

I eat shades of #radred.
    Years
  • Ahh I see what you mean! And thank you for the confidence boosting words, by the way. This is one of the reason I absolutely adore PC.

Did you do the pixel art for your avatar? It looks absolutely amazing regardless! I love the shadows/highlights in it. If you didn't already I'd say open up a Pixel Art Shop, you're immensely talented. They take up quite a bit of time, though, is the only downside.

Years
  • Ahh I see what you mean! And thank you for the confidence boosting words, by the way. This is one of the reason I absolutely adore PC.

Did you do the pixel art for your avatar? It looks absolutely amazing regardless! I love the shadows/highlights in it. If you didn't already I'd say open up a Pixel Art Shop, you're immensely talented. They take up quite a bit of time, though, is the only downside.

Yes I did, Thanks! I usually don't do large pieces like that...I get too lazy...I think that piece only uses 6 or 7 colors. I prefer doing sprites.

Fairy does exceptional large pieces if you want to see really nice pixel art.

I do have a thread up, but I haven't updated it in a few weeks. I am just shy of finishing a GB style fakemon dex.

And yah, PC is great :)

Years
    • Age 33
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Flattery will get you everywhere. c;

I'm down if you guys want more competitions, btw! I've been dying to do more fakemon contests, bring back icontest, and a bunch of other things!

VeranithasVI

I eat shades of #radred.
    Years
  • I'd be so down with more contests! Mine is slowly building interest (there's three contestants, so all three prizes are currently decided xP) but I'd be interested in joining in on a few. :)

EDIT: Also, I changed the name of my contest, it's now "VVI's Holiday Giveaway Contest #1 - Halloween Edition". This is due to my plan on doing one every holiday season, e.g. "VVI's Holiday Giveaway Contest #2 - Christmas Edition" which will run reeeal close (and probably interfere with the New Years edition), plus on my birthday (which will also maybe clash with #2 and #3) I plan on running on. That's December 25th, December 31st and January 7th all planned out! :P

Years
    • Age 33
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Hey, good on you man for talking the helm on this. I've been soooo utterly busy so investing so much time to running contests has become excruciatingly cumbersome to get anything done!

Oh, and I've put in a request for your thread to be posted on PC's twitter / facebook, so expect activity to rise steadily (hopefully!). :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back