• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: "L'art pour l'art" - DCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    Yeah, there really aren't. I get the feeling the votes are going to be few and samey. I'll post mine either this evening or wait for a few more.

Kyoe

working on it
    Years
  • Yeah, I've been trying to spend more time in here myself. It looks like you guys have the same sort of problem the writing section does, just not as bad.

I'm undecided if I'll vote in this section's MotY, since I'm not really all that active in here, or haven't been, at least.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Yeah, A&D suffers from "post and go". But, trust me, I've had more members I'd consider regulars in the past month and a half than ever in my two years as mod.

Amaruuk

Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    I feel like apart from maybe 2009, I haven't seen this place bustling with regulars since '05-ish, though I also have been gone from the forum myself for long stretches.

Kyoe

working on it
    Years
  • That's actually quite a shame, too.

We could try implementing more interactive threads and events for non-artists as well! Like, we could do a 'New Artists Challenge' and offer an emblem for best art from a new artist.
    Or maybe do a 'Art Class' thread, and include some skilled artists from across A&D giving tips and advice to people to better their drawing, pixel art, digital art, etc.
    Maybe even have a big event for making a few new PC styles, and make them as compilation styles from people all over PC, or at least A&D.

I don't know, just spit-balling here. xD
    The other thing is that it's holiday season, and people are spending less time on PC in general. Maybe it'll pick up even more come next year?

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Those ideas sound great, it's just that we really don't have that much regulars. Amaruuk, Fairy and I seem the only ones that actively try to react in threads, and read and post in this one. And lately it seems merely shops are active, so that makes that we don't even react that much lately. The other people that post here are shop owners, but those active now don't really post outside
    their threads.

Amaruuk

Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    Yeah, there were a lot more contests and collaborative things going on. Everyone knew everyone else and looked forward to each others' entries. But alas, just having interactive threads isn't enough to make people participate more. To be honest I don't think there even is a 'trick' to motivate more participation. If people aren't gonna post they aren't gonna post. Sad, considering that I know there are a lot of old regulars who are still on PC but abandoned A&D. Maybe people are just busier as they get older? IDK.

Kyoe

working on it
    Years
  • True, you can't force activity. At least there are still some regulars, though.

So, do any of you have an art crush right now? I mean some style of art you're been kinda crazy about, lately. Whether from one artist, a certain method, or a genre of art.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    At the moment I really enjoy surrealistic work. I had a couple of lessons at school were we dived into every major art style since 1900, and I really, really like surrealism, it's just so creative and beautifull.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    True, you can't force activity. At least there are still some regulars, though.

So, do any of you have an art crush right now? I mean some style of art you're been kinda crazy about, lately. Whether from one artist, a certain method, or a genre of art.

YES yes yes yes.

I've been very much in love with the art of Ebru lately. Which is water painting for those of you who never heard of it! Please check it out, it's absolutely incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2lV1VKWIh0

Not only that, but I've totally fallen for tumblr user and animator/artist Toasty Hat (also known as Empty Feet on youtube). She's probably one of my favorite animators on the internet right now, and has an amazingly deft hand for the trade. Currently, she's working on a Homestuck inspired story called "After Us", based on the comic Homestuck, along with what seems like hundreds of other side projects. Also inspired me to get ToonBoom for myself, so I'm going to treat myself to that once the holidays roll around. Very excited! n_n;

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • Just thought I'd poke my head in this section since I haven't been in here for a while. totallyhavenotbeenlurkinghereinanyway*cough

As for art style that I've been looking at atm:
    I've been focusing on a lot of video game art styles like the way Jet Set Radio does it's cell-shade or the particular artstyles in Bastion and Transistor.

Also really loving the environmental art done in the game Master Reboot.

There's no particular artist I'm looking at atm but previously I was looking at Jon-Lock's art on tumblr/dA as I used it as inspiration for one of my last university projects.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    I currently have a thing for anime art styles. Less realistic, more simplistic ones that make the humans look moreso like adorable humanoid creatures than actual humans. (Because I'm not too fond of humans too much.) With big bright eyes that look like you could get lost in and tiny dot noses. It's something I'm trying to emulate, particularly since it seems to be quickening the rate of my work.

Let me find an example here.

Also, conversely, I am also into the slightly more realistic anime style of Xenosaga with actually defined noses. Here you go.

All this is because of the Xenosaga series making me realize I love the anime style. It's more suitable for me to learn due to it being more simplistic and less about three dimensions and realism, which I struggle heavily with due to some brain deficiencies I have.

Kyoe

working on it
    Years
  • Hey, Ebru is actually pretty cool! I used to be really back and forth about what I thought about watercolour and water painting, but lately I've been leaning more towards a positive opinion of it.

Personally I'm really into the work of Thomas Barbey, this past week or two. He's a genevan photographer who's started doing surrealism.

Example:
    Spoiler:

Other than that there are a few comic art styles I'm liking more than usual...

Amaruuk

Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    Lately I've been leaning in the paleoart direction, some faves being Emily Willoughby and John Conway. Always loved dinos and whatnot as a kid and this has been the year of playing catch-up with that whole scene. Great community on Twitter, too.

More broadly (and only on days where I am not prone to overwhelming envy), I admire the queens of creature art such as Terryl Whitlatch, Brynn Metheney, Tiffany Turrill, and Kate Pfeilschiefter. I am but a mere handmaid compared to them. I am also a sucker for linework a la J.A.W. Cooper or Corey Godbey.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Man, I wish I had half the talent as some of those guys. But speaking of being in love with new things..

I've found out I have full and utter access to a 3D printer. Anyone know how to make designs or use CAD or have any ideas on what I can do with it? I'm a bit of a novice with 3D printers, but I'd love to get into it! Some of the sculpture that's being made right now is incredible, and I'm excited to give it a shot! :)

Amaruuk

Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    I use Maya and ZBrush. Ever since I heard about Shapeways and sites like it a few years ago I've been itching to use a 3D print service. Gonna wait till I've moved and then I want to 3D print parts to use in handmade stuff and sculptures or prototyping or just home decor/custom hardware. I goddamned love this near-star-trek world we're entering. I can't wait to turn my future basement into a workshop. As for getting started with 3D print, I know Shapeways at least has its own "how to get your thing ready for print" guidelines which is explained really well including different things to look out for with different materials, but if you don't already know 3D stuff of some kind you'll want to practice that first. There's a lot of YouTube channels or paid sites that have fantastic instruction on that stuff. I honestly learned at least as much from Digital Tutors and Googling stuff as I did from actual college.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • ughh so jealous! I really want to use a 3D printer, but that course was only introduced for the first years this year and I'm no industrial design student. Like Amaruuk, friends of ming in first year used Maya. Although they were taught to print on 3 different softwares (Solidworks being one, and another easier autodesk software I'm not sure what it's called). I don't know about CAD, but there's definitely a lot of youtube channels and paid sites (our university used Lynda.com).

Topic just reminded me, someone in our local facebook group made this (with given templates) and I thought it was pretty cool:

Spoiler:

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Ahahaha! That's so awesome you guys! Thanks for the help!

I spent a bit of time just fooling around with the thing, with very little to show for it. I admit, I'm better at painting the product than making them! But I was able to familiarize myself with the printer and the materials and it's been fun! Long, but fun!

I'll post pics too once I feel a little better with my skills. Toy cars for the boss's four year old aren't gonna cut it for A&D hoho.

diamondpearl876

you can breathe now. x
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 25, 2022
    Are we allowed to make requests here? I see lots of talent and not too many shops open! I'm looking for someone who'd be able to draw an original character from a fic of mine. In exchange I can write a fic about whatever for you, or if you're into the games, I have literally every shiny available.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back