• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: "L'art pour l'art" - DCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    I've had 3 tablets over the years - all bamboo brands. However, I've recently misplaced 2/3 of my pens in my household:( The one remaining is of my oldest tablet from about 6-7 years ago and aside that it's working find I just miss using my newer ones.

Remind me to chain literally everything I own to my belt to prevent this.

I think a drawing tablet would be cool, but I would have to draw more regularly before I would seriously consider getting one.

I'm kind of having the same dilemma, really.

ruby

[span="howdy;partner"][/span]
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2024
    anyone have an opinion on the average cheap tablet? like <£50 ?

there's some intuo draw's going for about 45 atm, but that's kinda the top end of my budget. and then there's those HUION's for like ~£20 which would be great if they don't suck

Years
    anyone have an opinion on the average cheap tablet? like <£50 ?

there's some intuo draw's going for about 45 atm, but that's kinda the top end of my budget. and then there's those HUION's for like ~£20 which would be great if they don't suck

I've heard ok things about Huion, but also good things about Monoprice tablets. I got a $10 one for my niece, and it worked pretty well, but they don't have that particular one anymore.
    If it's your first tablet ever, get a cheap one off brand, it can't hurt. If you're pretty experienced and just want something you know is going to work and won't break anytime soon, get a wacom tablet. I can't verify on their smaller intuos, but the intuos pro I have works really well, and it pretty sturdy.

ruby

[span="howdy;partner"][/span]
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2024
    hey thanks for the input :)

I was looking at a monoprice too actually! a 10x6.25" one for about £30. I was just a bit wary of something with price in the actual name, ahaha. It's really nondescript too? like, no model name or even a number as far as I could see. & reviews varied greatly

I guess I've really got to decide how much I want to spend, though the scales are tipping more and more towards the Draw.. Spending money doesn't come by often and I'd rather not end up wasting more over time on a few different one's I'm not happy with

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    I heard the monoprice is pretty good- I have a few friends who use it. But the only downside I heard of is that the nibs have to be replaced frequently?? Or something about the pen needs to be replaced more often than other tablets I can't remember if it's the pen itself or what...

I've heard pretty good things about Huion too-- so I don't think you can go wrong with either option.

On this note, I know if it's out of your budget there's not much to be done, but, personally I'm of the philosophy that wacoms may be expensive as balls but are well worth the money. My $300 intuos 3 has lasted me 10 years with no nib replacement (I still have the original 2 extras it came with), no battery replacement (it doesn't have batteries to be replaced like cheaper tablets), nothing. I use it just like I did when I first took it out of the box- and it looks as if I'd just taken it out of the box too, even though I literally took it with me around campus at university at least once a week.

Also for the people who aren't sure whether to get a tablet because they might not draw often enough... At first I wasn't a very serious artist either- I hardly used my tablet the first six months, maybe used it like once a month at best LOL... but I find that having the tablet is rather motivation to therefore use it. I was drawing almost everyday with it by the third year. But even then, I wasn't actually drawing, it was more like just coloring. I still drew everything on paper and scanned it in- and then used the tablet to color since I wasn't used to the lines that are produced digitally vs. traditionally. It wasn't until like, the 4th or 5th year that I moved to pure digital after forcing myself to sit down and make something digitally from start to finish. And $20 is really not that bad even if you end up not using it much...! (Also spriting is 1000x easier with a tablet, in my opinion. I can't do pixels with my mouse anymore, it's too cumbersome LOL)

Last edited:
    Years
    I logged off the GT Skype and had shut down my email for more processing, then I saw that I actually got an email interested in an art commission! It's entirely possible they're just asking for prices from a lot of artists and I won't fit, but I was really surprised and excited!

I know a lot of people here are upset when no one comments in their art threads on here, and putting your art up in real life is scary too, but remember that even if they haven't said anything people are still looking at your art!! It's really hard to remember that sometimes when it feels like you're just senting your art out into a void, but people are looking, and even may appreciate it. : )

killer-curry

Oro.........?
    Years
    Well i agree with you. At first I also felt a little worry when no one comment my arts. But later on I just leave it because people have their rights to make their comment if they want. We just cannot force them to comment the arts.

Plus I just want to ask is my image link at my signature broken?

Reunilu

of the Eastern Skies
    Years
    I almost prefer people not to comment on my art because I'm terrible at taking criticism and I get really nervous and unmotivated when people compliment my art.

I think so. Is it supposed to have a gray circle with a dash through the middle?

*doesn't keep up with art trends, kind of just pays attention to GFX groups and whatever's on danbooru*

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024

Spoiler:

^That's what I see, jsyk!

I haven't had any time for art lately and it makes me sad. :<

Hopefully when school is done and the holidays are behind me I'll have the time and motivation.

Also welcome to PC Reunilu! :)) I know how you feel about critiques sometimes. I had a habit of taking it a little too seriously and playing the "compare game" (still do sometimes! but i think everyone feels a little insecure about their art now and again so.)

Reunilu

of the Eastern Skies
    Years
    Also welcome to PC Reunilu! :)) I know how you feel about critiques sometimes. I had a habit of taking it a little too seriously and playing the "compare game" (still do sometimes! but i think everyone feels a little insecure about their art now and again so.)

Thanks!

Critiques have been weird for me. I'm the only GFX artist in my more familiar community for two years, so I couldn't and can't get any critique. I'm kinda forced to play the compare game so I could improve myself. ^ ^;

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Thanks!

Critiques have been weird for me. I'm the only GFX artist in my more familiar community for two years, so I couldn't and can't get any critique. I'm kinda forced to play the compare game so I could improve myself. ^ ^;

No problem!

Well I took a look at your dA and you're clearly a very talented and accomplished artist! I do hope you decide to post a gallery here too. :3 We need more GFX artists! But you're right, it can be tough when people are either unfamiliar or uninterested in critiquing, and you're kinda left to your own devices to figure things out in the meantime.

Sometimes it can get pretty dry here in A&D, but I've found the best way to receive c+c is to post in other artist's threads. 9 times out of 10 people return the favor and it's always nice to spread the support around. n_n;

Reunilu

of the Eastern Skies
    Years
    Well I took a look at your dA and you're clearly a very talented and accomplished artist! I do hope you decide to post a gallery here too. :3 We need more GFX artists! But you're right, it can be tough when people are either unfamiliar or uninterested in critiquing, and you're kinda left to your own devices to figure things out in the meantime.

Sometimes it can get pretty dry here in A&D, but I've found the best way to receive c+c is to post in other artist's threads. 9 times out of 10 people return the favor and it's always nice to spread the support around. n_n;

I might post my own gallery. My idea of CnC seems to be a little different from the posts I see around here. Not hugely so, but it's different. Idk, but maybe I'll try it out.

killer-curry

Oro.........?
    Years
    thanks kirby!!!!! Well because I copy the image URL from my Google photos so I guess it was shared. I cannot put my drawing pics into my pc album due to storage limit. so any recommend tips?

Guess i fix that already and also edited my art thread so feel free to check it out.

Last edited:
    Years
    I'm going to calmly remember what I just said last page and not get angry that 2 job opportunities have not responded back (please just reject me and tell me) and my listing for a commission site has been pending for a week and a half.
    Not. Going to get angry about it.

Critique can seem pretty scary at first, but when you're trying earnestly to get better or try something new, a bad response is better than no response. By the last year of college, if there wasn't a negative comment to my work that felt really BAD. Because if it was really good, I would have gotten really good comments that highlighted why it was good, and if it was bad I would get comments to show it was better. A half hearted "...the colors are nice. it's got a good flow" just means it's "ok" and I don't want that. It does take some toughing of skin to get to that point though.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
    Getting critique was definitely the scariest part when I started being an artist on forums, but after being c+c'd so many times, I started to get use to the harshness and ended up knowing how to improve myself from the critiques I was given. Honestly if it hadn't been for PC, I wouldn't have been able to take critique at high school and university as well as I do now. That being said, C+C hasn't been as strong now as it has been in the past, and I guess we're still building it back.

thanks kirby!!!!! Well because I copy the image URL from my Google photos so I guess it was shared. I cannot put my drawing pics into my pc album due to storage limit. so any recommend tips?

Guess i fix that already and also edited my art thread so feel free to check it out.

Yeah still can't see your signature, nor the first 5 images in your art thread. Would suggest uploading to an image hosting site (I prefer imgur, but you can also use others like TinyPic and Photobucket).

killer-curry

Oro.........?
    Years
    Yeah still can't see your signature, nor the first 5 images in your art thread. Would suggest uploading to an image hosting site (I prefer imgur, but you can also use others like TinyPic and Photobucket).

Well finally I move all my drawing pictures to photobucket. Hope the link is available.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    @killer; I can see your signature and gallery just fine. Whatever you did is working now. :)

@nina; let the hate flow through you~

When I was new to posting art on forums, I couldn't help but take critiques personally (an embarrassingly short time ago, might I add). Not in a severely negative way, but in an internal "than how can I improve / be perfect" way. I mean, outwardly I was nice and responsive but inside I would be seething haha. I'd post a link to my first gallery if I cared to look it up, but it's down there somewhere. And I'd always look at the artwork of the commenter and judge how seriously I could take their critique by how good they were; which is a really stupid way of rationalizing my own crappy attitude about being criticized. I've since calmed tf down lol.

But it's something you need to adjust to and balance. Take comments seriously enough that you improve but not too seriously that you find yourself offended. Or just make Aiden deal with it! ;)

Last edited:

killer-curry

Oro.........?
    Years
    Thanks Kirby everything is fine now :).

I would agree with Kirby. We should be take critiques for improving our skills but ignore the comments that offend you personally. After all sometimes we have be optimism about these comments!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back