• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Later pokemon who should have been gen2

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Are there any pokemon you feel would have suited Johto really well and should have been invented earlier on? Be it because they'd be a good fit geographically, or fit well together with existing Johto pokemon, or maybe balance wise in battling?

Some obvious replies might be evolutions such as Ambipom, Weavile, Yanmega... It would have made these pokemon more interesting to use back then.

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    Interesting question. I think that the design of Pokemon overall has become a bit convoluted compared to the more simplistic days of GSC. So if I had to make one or two choices (other than obvious evolutions/pre-evolutions) I'd say that Jirachi and Buizel/Floatzel fit fairly well into the design of GSC Pokemon. Zigzagoon/Linoone are also good fits. I think that Solrock/Lunatone would have fit in well, potentially being late-game catches that you couldn't capture until Mt. Moon. If I had to choose a more recent example I think Goodra or Gogoat would have made good fits. Amaura/Arorus could have made good additions to the Ice Path.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Of course, most of the pre/evolutions introduced in later games would've fit Gen 2's style well: Azurill, Wynaut, Bonsly, Togekiss, Mamoswine, Weavile, Honchkrow, and Mismagius. Only Ambipom and Yanmega seem too complex/fussy (like most of the evolutions to Gen 1 Pokémon that were introduced in DPP).

As for other Pokémon, the designs of Latias/Latios have always reminded me of Lugia, and both the Swablu and Ralts families seem to have simpler, less cluttered designs more like the Gen 1-2 Pokémon, IMO.

Years
  • Agree on Ralts being somewhat akin to Gen II, although its evolutions become increasingly more akin to the Gen III Pokémon.

That said, there aren't that many who would seem well-placed there. It would probably be best not to introduce related Pokémon who would be too close to the new ones being promoted in G/S/C. That said, a few of the later dark-types, such as Cacturne's line - if not too similar to Bellsprout, but Bellsprout was an older Pokémon - or Sharpedo might be possible. Relicanth definitely seems well-placed, given Gen II's addition of many and varied water-types. Something like how Archeops functions might have been a decent addition. Adding anything from Gen IV might be an issue, as it mostly spammed the earlier Pokémon with evolutions for the sake of it.

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2016
    I've never played any thing part gen 2 (though I should be doing a soul link of gen 3 some time this year maybe), and I know little of the new Pokemon, so I can't provide much input. Rather, I'd say that it may have been better off they had just made some Pokemon better (eg Aipom) from the start instead of needing to give them evolutions.

Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2016
    I think Magmortar, Electivire, Togekiss and Lickilily should have been added in Gen2 - I mean that's when they already gave us Magby, Togepi, Steelix etc. Adding new evolutions for gen 1 so late made them hard to accept at first I think.

Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2019
    Not too many, in my opinion. But i would love to have seen weavile, mamoswine and a few other evolutions.

Back