• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Layout Problem

Koriaku

...Like a Circus?
Years
  • I've just realized that on certain computers, my layout on My site is not shown properly. Basically, the left nav (The Most Important one) is cut off. Also, if you view it on your PSP, it's cut off too. Does anyone know how to solve this problem? The URL is pokeb.mihopa.net

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    I think the way you coded it was pretty icky ;< You should be using tables for that type of layout, not DIVs, specifically in the menus. Then you have <ul> tags around a bunch of links. You realize that you need <li> tags to actually do anything, don't you?

Yeah, I'd definitely have done that in Tables and then everything would've been perfect.

Koriaku

...Like a Circus?
    Years
  • Not me who coded it. It was a free layout that Pokemon Element and PokeU used. Just changed the code. I had to remove the credit as the site where I got it from was removed and replaced with an EVIL site.

Gecko

Animaster
    Years
  • I think the way you coded it was pretty icky ;< You should be using tables for that type of layout, not DIVs, specifically in the menus. Then you have <ul> tags around a bunch of links. You realize that you need <li> tags to actually do anything, don't you?

Yeah, I'd definitely have done that in Tables and then everything would've been perfect.

No, Never ever in ever of evers use a tables for a layout. Tables are used for one thing and ONE thing alone; Tabular data. Nothing else. It's a huge mistake that table-layouts ever came to exist. No matter how complex a layout is, the Non-Table Layout Method is far superior if you know how to use it. But if you're gonna learn to use anything might as well learn to do it right from the start. Tags should only be used for what their names specify. Table are for tabular data, A is for Anchor (link), Div's are for divisions, meaning it divides sections, which is what you do when you design a layout. They all have a meaning and a purpose, so use them for that.

Having said that, I don't see it cutting the links anywhere, so you might have fixed this before I viewed it. I did however find some other visual issues, which clearly lay in the mess of a source code you have :P. I'm not sure of you skill, or will to improve the site code, so I might either suggest getting someone to clean it up for you (which is A LOT :P), or maybe getting a program, off the top of my head: Dreamweaver. I hear it has a source cleaning now. Haven't tested it myself, but if it's true then its a useful asset.

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2007
    I've just realized that on certain computers, my layout on My site is not shown properly. Basically, the left nav (The Most Important one) is cut off. Also, if you view it on your PSP, it's cut off too. Does anyone know how to solve this problem? The URL is pokeb.mihopa.net

Well for one thing , if you want to have it so that your page can be viewed on a Mobile device (Cell Phone , PSP , Nintendo DS) you might need to make a page for them.

Back